Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: name and ethnicity don't match up  (Read 8623 times)

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
Re: name and ethnicity don't match up
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 07:02:39 AM »
As has been mentioned, there is absolutely no need to concern yourself with this.

Your ethnicity isn't questioned until you write the bar.  Well, that is, unless there's a clear and blatant discrepancy, e.g. they give you a massive URM boost only to discover during orientation that you're whiter than Carrot Top.

Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

maccha

• GIVE ME A COOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 12:09:44 PM »
Your ethnicity isn't questioned until you write the bar.  Well, that is, unless there's a clear and blatant discrepancy, e.g. they give you a massive URM boost only to discover during orientation that you're whiter than Carrot Top.

But I don't get URM status anyway... I'm Asian. Schools don't differentiate between East Asian and South East Asian. (And even if they did, SE Asians probably wouldn't get a boost anyway.)

Either way, I am what I am, and I don't like people telling me what I am. I was just worried that my saying what I am would look fake because of my name.
;D : American, Wisconsin
:-\ :
:'( :

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 03:20:18 PM »
Seriously, I don't see why you're worried then.  Who f-ing cares? 

And I mean this without offense to you. 

maccha

• GIVE ME A COOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 03:31:19 PM »
Seriously, I don't see why you're worried then.  Who f-ing cares? 

I f-ing care if it hurts me, or comes to bite me in the ass later. Hence my asking.  ;)

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 03:42:23 PM »
I just don't see any possible way it could hurt you if you didn't gain some sort of benefit from it.  At least, not as far as the ABA is concerned.

maccha

• GIVE ME A COOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 05:00:11 PM »
It wasn't a question of whether or not I'd benefit from it... it was whether or not they'd think I was flat out lying through my teeth in my PS. If they think I'm lying, regardless of whether or not I'd get AA from it, well... it wouldn't go over too well.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 05:07:15 PM »
If that's the case, then re-read my original post in this thread and stop whining.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 01:50:05 AM »
People who are biracial should identify as such, IMO.

Even if they don't identify with both cultures equally?

Well, identifying as biracial/multiracial would help eliminate some of the confusion.  A person could still write a personal statement about the same topic by saying "my mother is from XX country ..."

Woah, my statement was not written that way, and I hope it's not that hokey.

But I usually only identify myself as one, rather than the other, since identifying myself as both somehow makes me subject to an Asian-authenticity-test. :P

::)
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

slp

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 08:18:50 PM »
I am of East Indian descent but had a very Euro first and last name because my family is one of the few Indians who happen to be Christian.  I was born in India and I checked the appropriate box.  I got inot my choice school, no drama.  Adcomm won't think anything of it. 

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 03:55:58 AM »
As has been mentioned, there is absolutely no need to concern yourself with this.

This would not make a difference. I look 100% white but my African-American ancestry would allow me to check the URM box and I have the law backing me up here. Skin color has nothing to do with it.