Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: name and ethnicity don't match up  (Read 8609 times)

maccha

• GIVE ME A COOKIE
    • View Profile
name and ethnicity don't match up
« on: October 25, 2006, 02:12:11 PM »
I'm biracial, with one parent coming from a developing nation. On my apps, I marked myself as that ethnicity, and part of my PS was about how being from that ethnic group shaped my decision to pursue law, among other things (ie studying trafficking of women as my honors thesis, deciding to work for a non-profit, etc).

Now, the problem is, since I'm biracial... my last name is distinctly white. Sort of like Smith or Jones, along those lines (except not British).

Now, will the adcomms do a double-take when they see my name, and think I'm trying to BS them?  :-\ (I'm not trying to...)

(Yet another post with me worrying about my apps, when it's too late.  ::))
;D : American, Wisconsin
:-\ :
:'( :

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: name and ethnicity don't match up
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 02:34:58 PM »
No.  Don't worry about it. 
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 12:54:07 AM »
I know a young black attorney with a very Jewish name (think along the lines of "Noah Feldman" or "Josh Finkelstein") and he has never seemed to encounter any problems about it.  Just describe your racial-ethnic identity in a way that makes sense to you and is truthful; the rest will fall into place.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 01:07:22 AM »
My family name is distincly English, but only because my grandfather (my father's dad) was adopted. So my name is completely white sounding. Ironic because I am quite white looking as well. However, one side of my family is Mexican.
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 02:00:29 AM »
People who are biracial should identify as such, IMO.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 02:01:44 AM »

LOL, db.  That was so not the question.  But (as one myself, depending on your definitions) I understand and agree.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 02:05:08 AM »

LOL, db.  That was so not the question.  But (as one myself, depending on your definitions) I understand and agree.

Well, identifying as biracial/multiracial would help eliminate some of the confusion.  A person could still write a personal statement about the same topic by saying "my mother is from XX country ..."

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 02:08:59 AM »

Well, identifying as biracial/multiracial would help eliminate some of the confusion.  A person could still write a personal statement about the same topic by saying "my mother is from XX country ..."

Sure.  And in the OP's case, this works.  My friend, however, is not biracial.  He was merely stuck with a discordant name.  I'm sure there are others out there.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 02:12:48 AM »

Sure.  And in the OP's case, this works.  My friend, however, is not biracial.  He was merely stuck with a discordant name.  I'm sure there are others out there.

Well a person should never be judged by his/her name in the first place. 
As for the OP's question, I don't think the adcomms are going to disbelieve you.

-TMcGraw

maccha

• GIVE ME A COOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 05:12:56 AM »

Even if they don't identify with both cultures equally?

Woah, my statement was not written that way, and I hope it's not that hokey.

But I usually only identify myself as one, rather than the other, since identifying myself as both somehow makes me subject to an Asian-authenticity-test. :P
;D : American, Wisconsin
:-\ :
:'( :