Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: name and ethnicity don't match up  (Read 8556 times)

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: name and ethnicity don't match up
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 04:26:25 AM »
As has been mentioned, there is absolutely no need to concern yourself with this.

Your ethnicity isn't questioned until you write the bar.  Well, that is, unless there's a clear and blatant discrepancy, e.g. they give you a massive URM boost only to discover during orientation that you're whiter than Carrot Top.

This would not make a difference. I look 100% white but my African-American ancestry would allow me to check the URM box and I have the law backing me up here. Skin color has nothing to do with it.
My kid is whiter than carrot top and still considers herself a minority.  And so do I.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 04:31:15 AM »
As has been mentioned, there is absolutely no need to concern yourself with this.

Your ethnicity isn't questioned until you write the bar.  Well, that is, unless there's a clear and blatant discrepancy, e.g. they give you a massive URM boost only to discover during orientation that you're whiter than Carrot Top.

This would not make a difference. I look 100% white but my African-American ancestry would allow me to check the URM box and I have the law backing me up here. Skin color has nothing to do with it.
My kid is whiter than carrot top and still considers herself a minority.  And so do I.

Baboon doesn't know anything. he tries to act like the defender of all black institutions but he admitted that he isn't even black. i don't know why he posts so much on the minority topics.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 05:46:07 AM »

Baboon doesn't know anything. he tries to act like the defender of all black institutions but he admitted that he isn't even black. i don't know why he posts so much on the minority topics.

:D :D :D

Classic.  Your transformation to full-time troll is now complete!
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

ari.ben.canaan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 06:37:25 PM »
Interesting. I have always wondered how they could check what you really are. I mean, I could probably claim to be Asian (my grandfather was of one exotic Asian ethnicity), but I don't do it (plus it probably wouldn't help me anyway).

But then what I have always REALLY wondered about is what would happen if I claimed to be Black! (I look as white as can be). And then show up at the school for classes ;D What would they do, seriously? ;D

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 07:15:32 PM »
Yeah, basically, guys, being treated as if you are black is the key to all of the world's wealth and power.  Just keep running with this one. 
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2006, 07:52:01 PM »
Yeah, basically, guys, being treated as if you are black is the key to all of the world's wealth and power.  Just keep running with this one. 

:D

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

struggles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2007, 11:35:55 PM »
Seriously I wondered the same exact thing!!! My mother is Mexican and my father is white and I have his last name even though I never met the man!!

My last name is a white as its gets! Straight out of England (or Ireland, where my dad has heritage). I was like, are they going to think I'm lying about this! Lol, but I don't think they did consider I got all these schools targetting me and trying to sell me on how minority friendly they are and encouraging me to apply for minority scholarships.

basetommyball

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 03:32:36 AM »
Struggles I am in the EXACT same boat as you are, lol. My dad is german (dont really know the guy) and my mom is mexican. I grew up in mexico so i obviously identify myself more with my hispanic heritage, but it still awkward giving my old-school, ridiculously hard-to-pronounce, german last name and trying to pass myself off as hispanic. ;D

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 02:36:52 PM »
Does anyone know what the process is WHEN you go to take the bar? Due to lost/destroyed family records, My father and I have been unsuccessful obtaining a tribal ID. I assume that the fact that I've always checked off both white and NA, look like a NA, and have exhibited an attachment to the community in my extracurriculars, I'd be fine. Still I worry.  ???
Vandy 1L... really?

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 02:39:09 PM »
You have three years to obtain one, if you're that concerned.

My dad has tried since the 1970s.  :( I'm hoping DNA testing becomes more accepted, but I doubt that will happen.
Vandy 1L... really?