Law School Discussion

name and ethnicity don't match up

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: name and ethnicity don't match up
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 02:26:25 AM »
As has been mentioned, there is absolutely no need to concern yourself with this.

Your ethnicity isn't questioned until you write the bar.  Well, that is, unless there's a clear and blatant discrepancy, e.g. they give you a massive URM boost only to discover during orientation that you're whiter than Carrot Top.

This would not make a difference. I look 100% white but my African-American ancestry would allow me to check the URM box and I have the law backing me up here. Skin color has nothing to do with it.
My kid is whiter than carrot top and still considers herself a minority.  And so do I.

JTG

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 02:31:15 AM »
As has been mentioned, there is absolutely no need to concern yourself with this.

Your ethnicity isn't questioned until you write the bar.  Well, that is, unless there's a clear and blatant discrepancy, e.g. they give you a massive URM boost only to discover during orientation that you're whiter than Carrot Top.

This would not make a difference. I look 100% white but my African-American ancestry would allow me to check the URM box and I have the law backing me up here. Skin color has nothing to do with it.
My kid is whiter than carrot top and still considers herself a minority.  And so do I.

Baboon doesn't know anything. he tries to act like the defender of all black institutions but he admitted that he isn't even black. i don't know why he posts so much on the minority topics.

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 03:46:07 AM »

Baboon doesn't know anything. he tries to act like the defender of all black institutions but he admitted that he isn't even black. i don't know why he posts so much on the minority topics.

:D :D :D

Classic.  Your transformation to full-time troll is now complete!

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 04:37:25 PM »
Interesting. I have always wondered how they could check what you really are. I mean, I could probably claim to be Asian (my grandfather was of one exotic Asian ethnicity), but I don't do it (plus it probably wouldn't help me anyway).

But then what I have always REALLY wondered about is what would happen if I claimed to be Black! (I look as white as can be). And then show up at the school for classes ;D What would they do, seriously? ;D

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 05:15:32 PM »
Yeah, basically, guys, being treated as if you are black is the key to all of the world's wealth and power.  Just keep running with this one. 

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2006, 05:52:01 PM »
Yeah, basically, guys, being treated as if you are black is the key to all of the world's wealth and power.  Just keep running with this one. 

:D

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2007, 09:35:55 PM »
Seriously I wondered the same exact thing!!! My mother is Mexican and my father is white and I have his last name even though I never met the man!!

My last name is a white as its gets! Straight out of England (or Ireland, where my dad has heritage). I was like, are they going to think I'm lying about this! Lol, but I don't think they did consider I got all these schools targetting me and trying to sell me on how minority friendly they are and encouraging me to apply for minority scholarships.

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 01:32:36 AM »
Struggles I am in the EXACT same boat as you are, lol. My dad is german (dont really know the guy) and my mom is mexican. I grew up in mexico so i obviously identify myself more with my hispanic heritage, but it still awkward giving my old-school, ridiculously hard-to-pronounce, german last name and trying to pass myself off as hispanic. ;D

UFBoldAsLove

• Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 12:36:52 PM »
Does anyone know what the process is WHEN you go to take the bar? Due to lost/destroyed family records, My father and I have been unsuccessful obtaining a tribal ID. I assume that the fact that I've always checked off both white and NA, look like a NA, and have exhibited an attachment to the community in my extracurriculars, I'd be fine. Still I worry.  ???

UFBoldAsLove

• Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 12:39:09 PM »
You have three years to obtain one, if you're that concerned.

My dad has tried since the 1970s.  :( I'm hoping DNA testing becomes more accepted, but I doubt that will happen.