Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Proposal 2 and UofMich  (Read 28349 times)

butter tart

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mmmmmmm!
    • View Profile
Re: Proposal 2 and UofMich
« Reply #330 on: December 14, 2006, 02:44:21 PM »
The following is a Detroit Free Press article from today (12/14/06) detailing what the Michigan AG intends to do about the new anti-AA amendment in Michigan.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061214/NEWS99/61214024

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 20, 2006, 06:44:23 AM »
For anybody that cares or that it matters to, the motion that the Michigan universities filed was granted.  So they can practice AA for the rest of the admissions cycle.
Michigan 2L

parsley

« Reply #332 on: December 20, 2006, 09:44:55 AM »
Was it really that "their motion was granted"?

Or was it that they just sat down and hammered out a deal that confirms the constitutionality of Proposal 2 while protecting the integrity of this cycle? 

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 20, 2006, 12:14:37 PM »
Was it really that "their motion was granted"?

Or was it that they just sat down and hammered out a deal that confirms the constitutionality of Proposal 2 while protecting the integrity of this cycle? 

Are you Eric Russell, Parsley? :D
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 28, 2007, 04:02:13 AM »

After skimming over some of the "arguments" in this thread...

The difference between skin color and the other "soft" factors adcoms take into account is that discrimination on the basis of skin color is specifically prohibited by the 14th Amendment.  Such discrimination is also presumably immoral, at least to those who oppose racial discrimination generally.

If you want to take educational disadvantages into account on the basis simple fairness, feel free.  There's no real reason that needs to be tied to race, though.