Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Proposal 2 and UofMich  (Read 28579 times)

parsley

Re: Proposal 2 and UofMich
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2006, 12:20:12 PM »
Gosh, but I thought being socio-economically disadvantaged wasn't a problem as long as you follow your dreams! A little Google, a little common sense, and nothing should stand in your way!

I still say there's pretty much no excuse for an empty resume.  But I have much more sympathy for someone who worked 20 hours a week working in the computer lab and still managed to get a 3.6 and hold leadership positions in three clubs.  In my dream system, a socioeconomic AA applicant should say "This is what I accomplished in spite of these specific challenges that I faced" not "I accomplished nothing, but hey, I was poor!" 

redemption

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 12:24:58 PM »
Red - LSAC data mysteriously seems to lack the applicants' LORs, GPA corresponding with undergraduate school, PS, and resumes.  Maybe mine is broken?

Don't be dumb. They have LSAT, GPAs matched by schools and majors, and socio-econ data. If you think resumes, LOR and PSs matter except under exceptional circumstances you must be on something illegal. It's bad for you; just say no.

parsley

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2006, 12:30:13 PM »
You're right, Red.  Because it certainly wasn't your winning personality that got you into law school. 

redemption

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 12:33:12 PM »
You're right, Red.  Because it certainly wasn't your winning personality that got you into law school. 

I don't patronize adults, especially when they try to front.

!!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2006, 01:00:22 PM »
I'm flattered that you are all so worried about my little law school.  But let's get two things straight:

(1) It is not, nor was it ever, that hard for white people to get into this school... I got in!
(2) If people didn't get so uptight and indignant about affirmative action (both for and against), we wouldn't be in this mess.  People against AA need to understand that law school spots are not earned based on a mathematical formula; they are given.  People for AA need to understand that there were legitimate problems with AA that were not being addressed.

Red: I would have thought a few months at Yale would have made you a little less pompous.  Whoops.  I got that one wrong.

redemption

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2006, 01:06:50 PM »
I got that one wrong.

Haha. Being in the right was never your strength.  :-*

!!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2006, 01:08:10 PM »
I got that one wrong.

Haha. Being in the right was never your strength.  :-*

Query: Do you argue like this when the prof calls on you in class?  Do you accuse people of paragraph laziness, or do you address the substance of their argument?  You don't strike me as a lawyer, Red.  It was perfectly clear what Parsley was trying to say.  If you can't argue against it in good faith, maybe just sit this one out.   :)

redemption

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2006, 01:11:05 PM »
Query: Do you argue like this when the prof calls on you in class?  Do you accuse people of paragraph laziness, or do you address the substance of their argument?  You don't strike me as a lawyer, Red.

Do real lawyers preface their questions with "Query:"?

I guess I'll pick that up when I start law school in the fall.

!!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2006, 01:13:34 PM »
Query: Do you argue like this when the prof calls on you in class?  Do you accuse people of paragraph laziness, or do you address the substance of their argument?  You don't strike me as a lawyer, Red.

Haha.  As it happens, my conlaw prof does that whenever he's about to ask a smartass question.  So I guess the answer is yes.

And I didn't realize you hadn't started law school yet.  That makes sense.  I was wondering how you managed to hold on to your principles after being in law school for a few months.

redemption

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2006, 01:15:40 PM »

Haha.  As it happens, my conlaw prof does that whenever he's about to ask a smartass question.  So I guess the answer is yes.

And I didn't realize you hadn't started law school yet.  That makes sense.  I was wondering how you managed to hold on to your principles after being in law school for a few months.

I don't have principles. I'm against AA. I just don't like stupid arguments -- it's a matter of taste, that's all.

Are you doing an LRW assignment? You seem grumpy. Where's the sparky IR kid that I once knew?