Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Proposal 2 and UofMich  (Read 29340 times)

redemption

Re: Proposal 2 and UofMich
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2006, 10:46:39 AM »
By the way, I'd be interested in where you think that hereshopin was going with this comment?

First off, according to that thread, the number is 6 points when corrected for (some) outside factors. It's also proven that Latinos score on average 4 points lower, and Native Americans score 2 points lower. It's also true that Asians and Indians score higher than whites.

Do you TRULY believe that somehow LSAC has designed a test that can not only systematically discriminate against blacks, latinos, and native americans (to different degrees, at that!), while managing to give an advantage to asians and indians?

Or is it more likely that there are other reasons for the discrepancy?

bandaidstick

« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2006, 10:48:33 AM »
What do you mean?

redemption

« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2006, 10:53:42 AM »
Well, what are the other reasons for the discrepancy that she was alluding to?

bandaidstick

« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2006, 10:59:18 AM »
I'm not her, so I can't know. That was a lazy question.

parsley

« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2006, 11:06:00 AM »
Sigh. They clearly mean that the gap is more likely attributable to conditions other than race.  The explanation that the test itself is racist is hollow.

You know the factors -- they're pretty obvious.  Poverty, education quality, access to preparation, etc.

bandaidstick

« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2006, 11:07:12 AM »
Parsley, you're like Gimli from Lord of the Rings - when the prospects of success look bleak, you jump in there anyway. HA! He's my favorite character from those movies (which I saw for the first time last week).

redemption

« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2006, 11:11:09 AM »
I'm not her, so I can't know. That was a lazy question.

I see. Maybe someone else will have an answer.

Model minority, numbers just low enough that getting into Harvard will be a problem, makes a comment like that, and it raises questions.

Sigh. They clearly mean that the gap is more likely attributable to conditions other than race.  The explanation that the test itself is racist is hollow.

You know the factors -- they're pretty obvious.  Poverty, education quality, access to preparation, etc.

For someone who swore to ignore me  -- "you're dead to me, red!" -- you got over it pretty quickly. Do you have a crush on me?  :)

Besides, your explanation is weak. The gap exists after accounting for GPA, Major, & UG institution. If socio-econ was the cause, these adjustments would cancel out the LSAT score gap. So, it's something else. She says so. What do you think it is that she has in mind?

Deontologist

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2006, 11:13:52 AM »
Well, what are the other reasons for the discrepancy that she was alluding to?

I’ll take the bait…

She may be alluding to the idea that standardized tests correlate with IQ, and that the mean IQ scores for blacks, Hispanics, and Native Americans is below the mean score for whites and Asians. Thus, this explains the differences in the results on the LSAT.

Your point?

redemption

« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2006, 11:18:18 AM »

She may be alluding to the idea that standardized tests correlate with IQ, and that the mean IQ scores for blacks, Hispanics, and Native Americans is below the mean score for whites and Asians. Thus, this explains the differences in the results on the LSAT.

Your point?

She just may be saying something like that. I ask questions; I rarely make points.

parsely and bandaid -- if she is saying something like that, do you agree with it?

bandaidstick

« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2006, 11:20:35 AM »
I neither agree nor disagree with anything LIKE anything. Come on, Red, stop being lazy with your wording. I cannot answer as to whether I agree or disagree with "something" LIKE "Something" someone else alluded to. Learn to word things with some manner of precision before you ask me a question. :P