Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Proposal 2 and UofMich  (Read 28781 times)

mae8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Proposal 2 and UofMich
« Reply #310 on: November 15, 2006, 11:28:12 PM »
i'll go back and find it tomorrow, gotta do some actual work. im just glad someone answered, i didnt mean to be annoying but red kept on ignoring/missing it for whatever reason and i thought it might add something.
Emory '09

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #311 on: November 17, 2006, 05:09:05 PM »
Red, you're being extremeley unrealistic in your assumptions that the people who are against AA fall into one of those four categories that YOU devised. I disagree with you, there may be peoplw who DO fall into those categories, but not all, and certainly not me.

Also, to TJ, if it is true that "brilliant" people often have sub-par GPA's then why do all of them necessarily have to be URM's? It makes no sense to say, well, he is URM and sub-par GPA, but he might be brilliant and not say the same thing about anyone else.

One more point. if AA is to help historically disadvantaged peoples, must we not have a box for many more things? I mean, come on, the peasants in England need some relief, if someone descended from them they might still feel backlash from the crown. But more close to home, what about the Irish and the Italians (especially Italians who might have dark skin, which seems to be the whole point on the other side, not race, but color of skin).

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #312 on: November 17, 2006, 08:46:22 PM »
Yes i actually do receycle.

But, no , no straw man here. I was just saying that if you take away the race factor than there are people across the board that are brilliant with low GPAs and people across the board who are not with high GPAs.

You say you would never confine the example to URMs, but you DID. You were talking specifically about URM with low GPA and brilliance.

parsley

« Reply #313 on: November 18, 2006, 08:41:16 AM »
Eh. Well. Red was begging for someone to write some long-winded responses and answer her challenges.  Then no substantive response to any of them.

... except your "but some smart people look dumb by the numbers!"

Oh well. But how many truly smart people - without some documented problem - look dumb in the numbers?

If they're really that smart, they should be able to slack and STILL look fine to an admissions committee. Part of intelligence is that it comes easier and requires less effort to succeed than most of your peers. 

(For example, I didn't put as much effort forth as most of my classmates and concentrated instead on my extracurriculars, but still did very well... And I took only two practice tests for the LSAT and still did OK...) 

So I find it hard to believe that the supergenius who will be well-qualified for law school, and able to succeed, has such terrible numbers that someone would mistake them for incapable of completing the work.

FredJohnson

« Reply #314 on: November 18, 2006, 11:39:55 AM »
Red, you're being extremeley unrealistic in your assumptions that the people who are against AA fall into one of those four categories that YOU devised. I disagree with you, there may be peoplw who DO fall into those categories, but not all, and certainly not me.

Also, to TJ, if it is true that "brilliant" people often have sub-par GPA's then why do all of them necessarily have to be URM's? It makes no sense to say, well, he is URM and sub-par GPA, but he might be brilliant and not say the same thing about anyone else.

One more point. if AA is to help historically disadvantaged peoples, must we not have a box for many more things? I mean, come on, the peasants in England need some relief, if someone descended from them they might still feel backlash from the crown. But more close to home, what about the Irish and the Italians (especially Italians who might have dark skin, which seems to be the whole point on the other side, not race, but color of skin).

UGA or UCONN to NYU jump? More like a Georgetown to NYU jump.

:-\

redemption

« Reply #315 on: November 18, 2006, 01:34:41 PM »
Keep your knickers on. I'll be back to deal with you plebs.

redemption

« Reply #316 on: November 18, 2006, 02:56:43 PM »
Would that make you our patriarch?

Claudia Pulchra

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #317 on: November 19, 2006, 06:13:43 PM »
Jump to NYU, what does that mean?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 19, 2006, 06:18:16 PM »
Jump to NYU, what does that mean?

I think the idea is that affirmative action does not work to move candidates between different-tier law schools, but rather to give some applicants a bump of 10 or fewer places in the rankings.  Who knows, who cares.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #319 on: November 19, 2006, 06:22:00 PM »
Oh ok, so instead of going to Harvard, go to Yale. instead of going to Tier 2 school A, go to Tier 2 School B, etc?

well, I guess I can understand it in the case of moving between T14, but I'm not sure about the rest.