• LSN
Re: Fixed-gears or Mormon Mission?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 10:17:17 AM »
Lemme see both there, Brigham.  ;)

austin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 01:20:38 PM »
From your description of the topics alone, I'd say that the first one sounds like a more interesting read.

ananse

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 02:03:06 PM »
You can submit the first as your PS and the 2nd as your DS.  That way, if being a bilingual Mormon missionary doesn't set you apart, fixing bicycles might. I doubt there are that many bilingual Mormon missionaries who can also fix the heck out of a bike.

my 0.02

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 03:21:49 PM »
as someone who also rides fixed (is your bike in the gallery? #?) i'd say write about learning the language (and culture) during your mission, but downplay the mission aspect. 
i've found that discussing bikes in general and fixed gears specifically only appeals to a very narrow segment of the population, and the rest couldn't care less. 
and honestly, it seems a stretch to apply building a bike to law school.  i mean, sure you can make an analogy, but unless there happens to be a cyclist on your ad comm, it's just going to be boring. 

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 03:42:31 PM »
i think your passion for fixed gear bicycles would make for great bedtime reading.
how do i sign up for your monthly newsletter?

/just kidding, play it up for diversity points

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 06:45:11 PM »
I haven't gotten around to submitting my primary fixie to the gallery, but I hope to soon.  What about yours?

the schwinn i'm riding now is nothing special, but i'm building up a merckx that i may post if the paint job turns out well and i want to boast.  mostly i just like to look.

zoom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 07:26:43 AM »
So maybe you guys can explain to me the point of "fixies."  I can appreciate the work that goes into fixing them up; I too love working on my bike (most of the time.)  And I really dig the style of a lot of the fixies I see. But why limit their performance?  Why not have a tight looking bike that can brake? Or coast? What's their appeal? Just wondering...maybe you guys can convert me. ;)

Vick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 08:26:34 AM »
So maybe you guys can explain to me the point of "fixies."  I can appreciate the work that goes into fixing them up; I too love working on my bike (most of the time.)  And I really dig the style of a lot of the fixies I see. But why limit their performance?  Why not have a tight looking bike that can brake? Or coast? What's their appeal? Just wondering...maybe you guys can convert me. ;)

Talking about fixies alone probably won't convert anybody.  You will be converted, though, once you ride one.  Riding a fixed gear is just plain fun.  This sounds cheesy, but it takes you back to the days when rode your bike as a kid.  It's so smooth, quiet, simple and elegant.  You just have to try it out and see for yourself.  Find a friend who has one (one with brakes if it's your first time) and give it a spin.  Then you will understand.   8)

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 09:01:21 AM »
yeah, i love how quiet they are. also very sleek looking since there are less cables, gears, deraillers, etc..

mine has a front brake - crazy city drivers warrant one.