Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: middle eastern URM?  (Read 5773 times)

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: middle eastern URM?
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2006, 03:15:13 PM »
people who hang out on internet message boards are the best looking and most sociable motherfuckers on the planet... you should know this by now

xman_nuke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2006, 03:15:30 PM »
Do we really need Mama Moni to step in and clarify?  They put African American because that's is what BLACK people in this country call themselves.  A generation (or two) ago it might have been colored and before that it was negro.  Most check boxes say Black/African American because of this.  If you're not racially/ethnically black (and I'm sure that we're all intelligent enough to know what that means) then you should not check it.  End of story.  That includes all North Africans of Arab/Middle Eastern descent in the 'non-AfricanAmerican' category.

Hispanic is different because it relates to ethnicity/national origin, not race.  You can be black or white and be Hispanic.

Any questions?

For a potential future lawyer you missed one clear thing...no matter what is implied...it is written as "AFRICAN AMERICAN" and hmmm...last time I checked Egypt was in Africa.  I don't care why it was written or how it's a PC term.  As for "African - black" that was the original point I was arguing against.  If you go to Tunisia...there are Arab and African looking people..but what if a person is mixed?  What if a person tans better?  Is there going to be the PC police to see where they fall?  If you have the term African American and a few unintended people fall under that blanket than too bad change the term. NUFF SAID ;)  
He who laughs last thinks slowest

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2006, 03:16:45 PM »
what's less believable about this board: that we everyone is really really rediciously goodlooking or that everybody got above 170? both are claimed by all on this board.

Well I got a 158, but I'm not lying about my hotness.  Sometimes nature makes a few tradeoffs.  We should make a new poll:

If you could only have one, would you rather be incredibly hot or have a score in the 99th percentile? 

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2006, 03:17:41 PM »
Do we really need Mama Moni to step in and clarify?  They put African American because that's is what BLACK people in this country call themselves.  A generation (or two) ago it might have been colored and before that it was negro.  Most check boxes say Black/African American because of this.  If you're not racially/ethnically black (and I'm sure that we're all intelligent enough to know what that means) then you should not check it.  End of story.  That includes all North Africans of Arab/Middle Eastern descent in the 'non-AfricanAmerican' category.

Hispanic is different because it relates to ethnicity/national origin, not race.  You can be black or white and be Hispanic.

Any questions?

Just one, if you're my mama, does that mean I can now legitimately check the African American box?

Nope, being adopted doesn't change your racial identity.  Nobody is calling Madonna's or Angelina Jolie's children white.  Once again, Hispanic is a little different.

At best, you could write an interesting diversity statement if you were adopted into a minority family and have it count for a soft factor.

Wow, you sucked all the fun right out of that one.  Well done, you'll make an excellent lawyer.

;D

Every party has a pooper
That's why we invited you
That's you
George Banks! (in faux French accent)

Bonus points if you can guess what movie that's from (without imdb)  ;)
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

xman_nuke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2006, 03:21:38 PM »
what's less believable about this board: that we everyone is really really rediciously goodlooking or that everybody got above 170? both are claimed by all on this board.

Well I got a 158, but I'm not lying about my hotness.  Sometimes nature makes a few tradeoffs.  We should make a new poll:

If you could only have one, would you rather be incredibly hot or have a score in the 99th percentile? 

LOL You should definately start that poll

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2006, 03:21:52 PM »

Any questions?

For a potential future lawyer you missed one clear thing...no matter what is implied...it is written as "AFRICAN AMERICAN" and hmmm...last time I checked Egypt was in Africa.  I don't care why it was written or how it's a PC term.  As for "African - black" that was the original point I was arguing against.  If you go to Tunisia...there are Arab and African looking people..but what if a person is mixed?  What if a person tans better?  Is there going to be the PC police to see where they fall?  If you have the term African American and a few unintended people fall under that blanket than too bad change the term. NUFF SAID ;)  

It is written as African American because in the UNITED STATES (where you are applying to law school) African American means Black.  Period.  We've all filled out enough standardised forms to know this, why should it change all of a sudden because it's a law school form?  In general, mixed people can be either or both (depending on how 'mixed' they are).

Society has created the term African American.  It is entrenched in government, education, etc.  Once you change those then you can get back to me about changing it at the law school level.  Hth.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

tzip

« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2006, 03:23:24 PM »
anyone who claims that they would take 99% over good looks is a liar and a fool. real question in, would you take perfer to be at the 91% of LSAT (164) or 91 percentile of goodlooks (better looking than 91% of the people)

tzip

« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2006, 03:24:57 PM »
man, that last post was written by a drunk monkey, not me, hence the aweful mistakes. apologies. i stand by that monkey's question though. and it makes for a more interesting discussion than AA AGAIN

S.A.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2006, 03:27:26 PM »
you're pathetic if you are white and use semantics to check "african american." They call it African American as a more pc term for black... as one person said at one point it would have been listed on the census as colored... but now african american on the census means black. A white person from northern africa is not african american... that's just not the way it's meant to be defined and you know that, so it is unethical for you to bend the rules just because you aren't smart enough to get in without being a URM.

I guess you will make good lawyers because you are skilled at cheating the system and getting around things based on semantics. You also fit the stereotype of lawyers being dishonest.

xman_nuke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2006, 03:28:51 PM »
That's my whole point..it's a dumb term.  Trust me...I loved watching African documentaries in High School and seeing moron after moron refer to the Africans as African American.  If you have the term African American then of course we all know what it implies but as a future lawyer you could easily argue for it's literal meaning which is "AFRICAN American"  This inclued Egyptians and yes white South Africans.  It's simply a flawed term and that being so I believe whether it's the LSAT or the SAT or the GMAT or any other random piece of paper that forces us to differentiate and seperate ourselves from other races in America (we are all Americans damnit) if you are of "African" decent you should be able to mark African American.