Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: middle eastern URM?  (Read 5964 times)

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: middle eastern URM?
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2006, 02:59:11 PM »
There should be a URM for beautiful people...there aren't enough beautful lawyers (and trust me I'm beautiful).  This argument is so gray, I mean there are all kinds of shades of "black" in America.  There are darker and more light skinned Hispanics.  I'm Hispanic, but my friends call me a coconut b/c I'm brown on the outside and white on the inside.  Are they gonna make a special test to see how "Hispanic" I am?  The same logic goes for the argument that you should specify with African American-black and African American.  African American is African American period.  I'm sure some of you that loveee to argue will be dying to disgree ;) 

2 votes for getting URM status for being really really ridiculously good-looking.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2006, 03:03:00 PM »
Do we really need Mama Moni to step in and clarify?  They put African American because that's is what BLACK people in this country call themselves.  A generation (or two) ago it might have been colored and before that it was negro.  Most check boxes say Black/African American because of this.  If you're not racially/ethnically black (and I'm sure that we're all intelligent enough to know what that means) then you should not check it.  End of story.  That includes all North Africans of Arab/Middle Eastern descent in the 'non-AfricanAmerican' category.

Hispanic is different because it relates to ethnicity/national origin, not race.  You can be black or white and be Hispanic.

Any questions?
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2006, 03:03:07 PM »
I never get it when people try to make semantics-based claims to being African-American...I mean even if you could convince yourself that you could technically slip in under the blanket...do you think you're going to convince anyone else?  What...you never filled out a SS card app etc.?  I can think of dozens of forms that have asked me for my ethnicity...dozens...and probably more that were filled on my behalf by relatives who were not thinking..."let's be vague, little Anansi is gonna want to get into law school one day and I don't want to close off any options she may have"...so do you think it's going to be really hard to trace the fact that you were X up until one fine day in October when suddenly you became Y?  I just find it strange that people who may be thinking of "gaming the system" never consider for a moment that the system may "game them back"...
Grrr...

Quote from: 1LCorvo
If there aren't any arguments against my claims, then I'll depart gracefully. Feel free to continue the concordant attack on my character, it's funny.

Quote from: Saxibbles
Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2006, 03:03:16 PM »
There should be a URM for beautiful people...there aren't enough beautful lawyers (and trust me I'm beautiful).

3 votes.  I'm hot, seriously.  That should get me some points.

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2006, 03:03:47 PM »
Moni..you beat me to it...
Grrr...

Quote from: 1LCorvo
If there aren't any arguments against my claims, then I'll depart gracefully. Feel free to continue the concordant attack on my character, it's funny.

Quote from: Saxibbles
Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2006, 03:05:08 PM »
There should be a URM for beautiful people...there aren't enough beautful lawyers (and trust me I'm beautiful).

3 votes.  I'm hot, seriously.  That should get me some points.

I was thinking of including an addendum of an 8x10... yes?  I figure it will at least get me some schollie money from the lower half of T14, if not HYS.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2006, 03:07:10 PM »
Do we really need Mama Moni to step in and clarify?  They put African American because that's is what BLACK people in this country call themselves.  A generation (or two) ago it might have been colored and before that it was negro.  Most check boxes say Black/African American because of this.  If you're not racially/ethnically black (and I'm sure that we're all intelligent enough to know what that means) then you should not check it.  End of story.  That includes all North Africans of Arab/Middle Eastern descent in the 'non-AfricanAmerican' category.

Hispanic is different because it relates to ethnicity/national origin, not race.  You can be black or white and be Hispanic.

Any questions?

Just one, if you're my mama, does that mean I can now legitimately check the African American box?

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2006, 03:10:40 PM »

Any questions?

Just one, if you're my mama, does that mean I can now legitimately check the African American box?

Nope, being adopted doesn't change your racial identity.  Nobody is calling Madonna's or Angelina Jolie's children white.  Once again, Hispanic is a little different.

At best, you could write an interesting diversity statement if you were adopted into a minority family and have it count for a soft factor.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2006, 03:12:49 PM »

Any questions?

Nope, being adopted doesn't change your racial identity.  Nobody is calling Madonna's or Angelina Jolie's children white.  Once again, Hispanic is a little different.

At best, you could write an interesting diversity statement if you were adopted into a minority family and have it count for a soft factor.

Wow, you sucked all the fun right out of that one.  Well done, you'll make an excellent lawyer.

tzip

« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2006, 03:13:59 PM »
what's less believable about this board: that we everyone is really really rediciously goodlooking or that everybody got above 170? both are claimed by all on this board.