Law School Discussion

_

smack

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Will Law School Make Me This Obnoxious?
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2006, 12:47:59 PM »
[shorter answer: you won't have time for friends in law school.  kick them to the curb now.
[/quote]

Ha-ha!  Sad, but funny at the same time!

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006, 01:21:34 PM »
It won't make you obnoxious. Just exhausted.

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2006, 01:24:54 PM »
This totally reminds of the time during a skypfest when you used that word (which I had never heard before).  I thought for sure you had called Adehmar an ass burger.

Goodtimes.

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2006, 09:57:57 AM »
OP, I really don't think she was trying to be obnovious. Granted I wasn't there but from what you posted it sounds like she was trying to be helpful. Try to see it from her perspective and don't read too much into it :D

Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2007, 03:41:23 PM »
Is law school going to make me obnoxious like this? I mean seriously?

Isn't that the point? Maybe you should rethink your decision. :P

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2007, 04:28:42 PM »
No customer should ever, ever go into the kitchen of a restaurant on their own. That is god-awful. I don't care how bad the service is.

hey,
sometimes when you need a dr pepper refill
you NEED a dr pepper refill

There is nothing that screws up a nice dinner quicker than an empty drink glass. 

My friends and I invented a system that takes care of this. Hopefully, I can patent and sell it to places like Chili's.

Oh, and I'm already at the arrogance limit. Any more and my head asplode.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2007, 04:32:31 PM »
Wow people.  I don't think I've ever thought like this, even when I'm supposed to be thinking about the law.  I remember CS majors who would try to describe social relations such as dating in terms of code.  We had a word for people like them.  It was Asperger's.  I guess the we there was more doctors than me, but still.

I shudder to think that there are people who think law school is supposed to train you to think like this.  I don't think the word obnoxious is adequate to people who try to translate their lived experience through such a language.  The word is damaged.

:)  I totally agree. I just don't understand what people are talking about, or why they think the "best" students will think like this. Then again, I am a fan of balance and moderation, and think that there has to be a separation between school or work and the rest of life.

TITCR. My friends and I always talk about EE and math stuff, but when we're around non-EE's, we cut it out. I mean, it makes us look dorky. So, if I talk law around non-law people, then that makes me, what? ...Jerky, probably.

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2007, 08:59:31 PM »
Yes we will all be converted to the dark side. It is futile to fight it just give in already. That way you'll fit in better.

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2007, 09:30:30 PM »
i'm less worried about that... i think i'll manage to keep a pretty good grip on what's acceptable behavior. But I'm more worried about getting sucked into the language of law. I love to pun, and I'm afraid that I'll hear someone say something, i'll make a legal pun, and the room will go quiet except for my snickering.

andyroberts

• Amy?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2007, 09:59:19 PM »
119, I'm such a dork like that, too.  Good times.

Also, I've (as I've irritatingly mentioned before) been in law enforcement for about six years, and I see the same thing with most people new to this career.  You get ABSOLUTELY cynical and skeptical of EVERYONE.  You find yourself driving around in your personal vehicle spotting traffic violations and looking for everything.  You also give half-arsed advice to people in any kind of quasi-criminal situation, making entirely too much of it because you want people to know how much you know.  Not that it takes a scientist of rockets to become a filthy pig such as me, but I believe the same holds true.  And to whomever posted the earlier comment about med students being even worse is spot on.  Anyway, after six years, I could care less about what the hell happens when I'm not at work, and frankly I don't want people to know what I do when I'm not working.  As irritating and obnoxious as it is in the beginning, understand that this too shall pass and you will avoid engaging in legal conversation after you get out in the work force.