Law School Discussion

_

_
« on: October 24, 2006, 02:08:34 PM »
-

skeeball

• View Profile
Re: Will Law School Make Me This Obnoxious?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 02:19:53 PM »
Hopefully.

On August first we were having the roof replaced on b/f's house. Guy that drove the very heavy shingle-delivery truck backed it into the driveway. Concrete slab on driveway broke and collapsed. It's all good, the delivery guy says, and goes to the back of the truck to get a digital camera to take pictures of the broken concrete slab. They tell us they're going to send a guy over to asses the damages and have the repair taken care of. Three months later...you guess it, driveway still has not been repaired. B/f thinks we're going to get stuck paying for the repairs.

I can't wait until I actually AM a lawyer and will at least be able to say scary things to the contractors that will make the stop trying to weasil out of paying for damages to my (well, my b/f's) property.

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 02:30:16 PM »
I've decided that (most) law students and med students are some of the biggest snots in academia. I can't wait to become one so that I, too, can loudly announce to the world that I know all.

JGR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 02:52:59 PM »
I've decided that (most) law students and med students are some of the biggest snots in academia. I can't wait to become one so that I, too, can loudly announce to the world that I know all.

I hadn't realized you had decided to wait until then.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 03:04:29 PM »
I think it depends on the person. Some people just get really into it and want to act like lawyers right away while others want to keep it separate from their real lives and don't really talk about the law much outside of class. I've also heard employers say that applicants who come in saying they know everything will likely not be the ones they hire.

redemption

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 03:16:57 PM »

Is law school going to make me obnoxious like this? I mean seriously?

That sucks.  :-\

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 03:52:39 PM »
I think it will make all of us sort of obnoxious, some (me) more than others. I haven't started and when roughly the same thing happened to me, my brain went into legal mode. They took my money for a book. Three weeks, no book. I complain. They refund with an apology saying that they didn't have the book, and that their publisher didn't either. I actually sent them an e-mail explaining to them what breech of contract is and what normal damages are, stating that specific performance wasn't really an option, and that they would be liable for at least the difference in price when I found the book elsewhere. I even hinted at fraud charges (I'm sure Spitzer has nothing better to do right now). From what I've read in several different places, all first-year law students go through the phase of seeing all the world with legal glasses; that's why those internships are essential ... to beat that vision out of you and make you see the real world.

redemption

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 03:56:11 PM »
I think it will make all of us sort of obnoxious, some (me) more than others. I haven't started and when roughly the same thing happened to me, my brain went into legal mode. They took my money for a book. Three weeks, no book. I complain. They refund with an apology saying that they didn't have the book, and that their publisher didn't either. I actually sent them an e-mail explaining to them what breech of contract is and what normal damages are, stating that specific performance wasn't really an option, and that they would be liable for at least the difference in price when I found the book elsewhere. I even hinted at fraud charges (I'm sure Spitzer has nothing better to do right now). From what I've read in several different places, all first-year law students go through the phase of seeing all the world with legal glasses; that's why those internships are essential ... to beat that vision out of you and make you see the real world.

lol

Et tu, Gilles?

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 04:06:24 PM »

This is generally true of people who haven't had a similar experience when going through schooling for another career. I know I was the same way when getting my ed degree and then had everything soundly beaten out of me when I ended up in a classroom with demonspawn during my internship. :) This time around, I know I am totally clueless though.

Jinx

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 07:28:10 PM »
Forgive your friend -- she can't help herself.