Law School Discussion

ADVICE Pls- 153?

ADVICE Pls- 153?
« on: October 24, 2006, 02:42:15 PM »
So I am finally coming out from lurking for the last 8 months. I think you guys are right, in that alot of ppl who dont score very well dont post on here. So here goes it.

I wrote in June. taking kaplan, and studying but still not feeling very confident. Wrote and got 153.

So decided to re-write. Studied my ass off all summer and got the bibles, really tried to start understanding the material and started practising at about a 157-158 about a week before the exam. I know not a big jump. Trust me.

So Wrote Sept, feeling more confident, atleast wanting a 156. Got score back, and again a devastating 153.

I dont know what to do? Do i have a chance at any law schools. Im a canadian so applying to the canadian law schools. My GPA is a 3.7.
Do I re-write>? or maybe thats just my score? :(

I went up in the LR and games although not by much, but severely went down in RC in sept which is normally my best section.

Thoughts?

Extremely frusterated, and disapointed. I know all you guys are all pretty smart and dont have this problem.. but I thought I would put my self out there on this board and post for advice.

caitlin

rizz

• Shut up baby I know it.
    • View Profile
Re: ADVICE Pls- 153?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 02:50:06 PM »
You have a chance at several Canadian schools if you have good soft factors. Ottawa, windsor, UNB, Usask, Uman, maybe Dal esp if you are a maritimer.

I would suggest applying and seeing if you get in this cycle if you wouldn't mind going to any of the above schools. If you feel you can get a 4-5 point increase it would help tremendously but based on your performance it's up to you to decide if you think that is realistic.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 02:58:28 PM »
How many preptests did you take b4 the exam?

Ali

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 03:03:50 PM »
Have a similar problem, with a similar score, and you are right. I don't know where to post, but on these boards everyone is superstar.
Have you thought of just going to any nearby school you can get into, study your brains out for the first year and transfer?
That's why I am thinking of doing.
I'm devastated, but we're both still in the 60%ile for lsats, so why give up!

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 03:15:50 PM »
IMHO, you are at a great score for getting a lot out of a prep course.  my first diagnostic was 155, and i ended up with a 164.
i didn't have a lot of free time to study as much as i would have liked, but the structure of the course made me set aside time for homework.

whether you spend the money on a weekend course, or a full course, look at where you plan on going with a 153.

now, consider how much sholarship money that same school will give you if you improve your lsat to 158 or 160.  or you could attend a better program.
bottom line, i am convinced the money i spent on a course will either net me scholarship money or a spot at a better program, because i really have a hectic schedule and taking the course made me set aside time i wouldn't have been disciplined enough to carve out for self-study, and i got valuable tips from our instructor and understood the concepts behind the questions better than if i would have relied on the games bible and reasoning bible alone

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 03:21:02 PM »
The fact that this is an elite community should do the exact opposite to bottom-rung-above-average scores.

This is such a wealth of knowledge that it would be a waste to allow a little insecurity to silence you.

You're doing the right thing by putting your inquiry out there for everyone to contribute.

I'm nowhere near these superstars, but I know that you should apply to target schools (lower expectations if you have to and get into a law school).

I would also suggest that you take the test again in December and soak up as much advice from this site as possible. When you finish the test, spend the days afterward working with the PMs that come out and trying to determine if you broke 153. If you think you did (the PMs should give you an accurate indication), keep it and apply to some reaches, which may have been reaches that ended up becoming targets with a higher LSAT. If you are uncertain, cancel, and you're still likely already in a law school at that point.

Bottom line, you've scored above the average on the LSAT and you belong in Law School. The fact that you're on here is proof enough.

Get into Law School, do great for 3 years. If you choose that after your 1st year you want to upgrade, so be it. If not, you still become a lawyer, which you should be.

Ali

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 03:25:55 PM »
How do you determine a target school? A safety? A reach?
Is it like we did to go U grad.
I was thinking a target you at 50%ile for lsat.
Reach 25%
Safety 75%

OP..I don't know what part of the country you are from, but did you actually check the stats to see where you could go? Also, if you have a state law school, is it kinder to residents?

I know I feel I hit the wall and I can't study for the lsat again.

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 03:27:08 PM »
Go here to get an idea of what marks you need to get into Canadian schools: http://www.lsac.org/canadianCFC/Canadian_homepage.asp

Most schools have a grid to help you figure it out.

With alot of prep and two writings, the fact of the matter is we are getting closer to this being a true score.

I second the sentiment that you should try to get in this cycle, if not, re-write, and work for a year to save money to pay for it anyhow.

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 04:23:33 PM »
thanks to all that responded. I know I was quite nervous posting on here.

I have lurked, and I have followed the post mortems of both June and Sept. I read all your posts religiously, and take note and try to understand them.

I did countless i mean countless preptests, I did the whole kaplan course (which i admit i didn't find helpful) after i wrote the first test I got the bibles, all of them and tried to really understand and practise them.

I studied about 4-5 hrs a day every day for the last month in sept before the sept 30 test.

I was confident, and dont know how I could have gotten the same score. Its as if nothing paid off, no extra hard work.

I dont get it, im the top 15% in my undergraduate class- I am a high achiever, driven and motivated. This just knocks me off severely. I have maybe never been that "smart" so to speak but work very hard to learn/do well. The LSAT it seems to me no matter how much I try- I just dont improve.

I am signed up for DEC. I dont know if I should write. I am down. Devastated that something like this can hold me back from doing the very thing Ive always wanted to do- go to law school.

If I do write do I study harder? i felt that I couldn't study any harder before.

The canadian schools I know are easier to get in to then what alot of you face. Im applying to ottawa, windsor, queens, osgoode (dream school) and dal. but I just dont know.

jmr

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 04:39:15 PM »
*NvMe*- I'm in the exact same position as you! I wrote the LSAT the first time this septemeber and got a 153 even though I had practise tests around 158-162. My GPA is a 3.68 and I'm also from Canada. I'm also signed up for the Dec LSAT but I don't know if I'll be writing it yet... improving 3-4 points, will it really make a difference? I don't know. Who knows if I'll even be able to improve will school/work/exams going on. So don't feel bad, there are probably lots of other people in our situation! This will somehow work out and if you're determined, you'll get in eventually!