Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.85/161, need help deciding on whether to apply anywhere now  (Read 995 times)

Phone-a-thon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3.85/161, need help deciding on whether to apply anywhere now
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 03:45:20 PM »

That's true--I don't want to rely on my URM status as it may not be all that helpful.

I'm in their range, but I'm debating between applying now (with my 164 and 3.6) and waiting till December. 

I wish there was one more TT school in NYC. I know it's great that we have NYU and Columbia, as well as two very good Tier Two schools, but one more Top 50 would be nice as another option. I have a rent control apartment I really do not want to leave...

I would think you're a pretty sure bet with those stats.  Seriously.  And I feel you on the rent-controlled apartment.  Mine is stabilized and I don't want to move!  Apply to Fordham now and I bet you will be rewarded with acceptance AND keeping an amazing apartment, I am sure : )
At my advanced age I like anything they will let me ogle it from a far and does not call the cops

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 05:20:31 PM »
I've researched both of these schools *heavily* (native New Yorker who is not fond of the idea of moving out of her beloved city here...) and you've definitely got a shot at both.

BUT

If you apply to Cardozo now, let them know you are retaking - their deadline is April 1st which is incredibly late so even if they put your application on hold for the second score, I bet you will still get money (maybe even a full ride after you get what you are capable of getting).  And Fordham has a late decision deadline also (I think March 1st), so I would hold off completely to apply there until after December with a better score under your belt.  You don't want to get dinged from Fordham - it's a great target to have, fabulous school, and therefore I'm sure you'll have a better chance at transferring out for 2L if you feel like you need to. 

So basically, re-reading this, I don't know if there is much value in applying before you get your December score.  If you're amazing enough in January when your app is complete (it will be, right?), the money that Cardozo has left to give away will be given to you : )

And just out of curiosity, what about Brooklyn?

Thanks for the advice! Yes, my application will be complete. In fact, my PS, DS, addendum, and resume are almost all complete now.

I've considered Brooklyn, but Judge Judy went there, and I hate her.  :)
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 05:21:12 PM »
I would not recommend that anyone apply to Fordham late in the cycle. It fills up its full-time class pretty early on and people start going into the Pended category early on to try to convince people to move over into the part-time class. Of course if someone is dead set on Fordham, it may be good to apply for both PT and FT to start, since I believe it's pretty easy to switch over to FT after your first year, but you can also wait to see if you get pended and then agree to go PT.

Can I ask where you heard that Fordham fills up pretty fast from? If it's a credible source, I'll have to consider it.

Thanks!
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

Phone-a-thon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 05:31:24 PM »
I would not recommend that anyone apply to Fordham late in the cycle. It fills up its full-time class pretty early on and people start going into the Pended category early on to try to convince people to move over into the part-time class. Of course if someone is dead set on Fordham, it may be good to apply for both PT and FT to start, since I believe it's pretty easy to switch over to FT after your first year, but you can also wait to see if you get pended and then agree to go PT.

Can I ask where you heard that Fordham fills up pretty fast from? If it's a credible source, I'll have to consider it.

Thanks!

Yeah - I'm interested in this, too!  Because when I spoke to the Fordham dean of admissisons at the NY Law Forum this past weekend, he said not to worry if you take the December LSAT and go complete in January; that a lot of applicants do that (hence the March 1st deadline).
At my advanced age I like anything they will let me ogle it from a far and does not call the cops

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 05:50:08 PM »

Thanks!

Yeah - I'm interested in this, too!  Because when I spoke to the Fordham dean of admissisons at the NY Law Forum this past weekend, he said not to worry if you take the December LSAT and go complete in January; that a lot of applicants do that (hence the March 1st deadline).

I applied last year and remember hearing that the class was filled sometime by February. I was deferred sometime in February (went complete in early January) when they were trying to get more people to apply for their PT program because it was lacking and the FT program was packed.

barrygoodlife

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 12:54:09 PM »
Judge Judy went to NY Law School, not Brooklyn.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 01:11:07 PM »

Ah. Well, I still don't want to go to Brooklyn, because it's in Brooklyn. :P

LSN</

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 01:37:09 PM »

Hey!! No bashing the best borough in NYC now...

So, pretty much every school I have asked has said that if you in any way indicate that you are registered for the Dec LSAT, they're not going to consider your applicaiton complete until that score comes in. I then asked "what if you're unsure if you're actually taking it in December" and they said you must indicate that you're registered, regardless.

It is confusing. I'd like to put a note in that I'd like them to consider my app complete, but then they might wonder why I'm bothering to take the Dec LSAT at all, and obviously it's for higher ranked schools than their own...

I'm just kidding. I grew up in Brooklyn (Starrett City), although the only place in Brooklyn I'd want to live now is Brooklyn Heights, or maybe DUMBO when it's renovated more.

Maybe they'd think, or you could say explicitly, that you're retaking in hopes of scholarship $.

LSN</

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 01:43:42 PM »

Hey!! No bashing the best borough in NYC now...

So, pretty much every school I have asked has said that if you in any way indicate that you are registered for the Dec LSAT, they're not going to consider your applicaiton complete until that score comes in. I then asked "what if you're unsure if you're actually taking it in December" and they said you must indicate that you're registered, regardless.

It is confusing. I'd like to put a note in that I'd like them to consider my app complete, but then they might wonder why I'm bothering to take the Dec LSAT at all, and obviously it's for higher ranked schools than their own...

I'm just kidding. I grew up in Brooklyn (Starrett City), although the only place in Brooklyn I'd want to live now is Brooklyn Heights, or maybe DUMBO when it's renovated more.

Maybe they'd think, or you could say explicitly, that you're retaking in hopes of scholarship $.

Not a bad idea--it just bugs me that they won't consider the app complete until almost January. Makes me a little nervous.

Bklyn Heights is beautiful but insane money-wise. Park Slope is just as nice, I think (I'm biased though).

Oh yeah, I forgot about Park Slope. I agree!

I'm also nervous of not being complete until that late. Then again, since Fordham's 25th %ile is 164, and I only have a 161, I am afraid of getting an outright ding right now. I know that some people have been admitted with numbers similar to mine, but very few. Then again, my PS, ECs, resume, and LORs are quite strong. Damn, I hate difficult decisions!!

LSN</