Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hamm asked to return gold medal...  (Read 2599 times)

inthesun

Re: Hamm asked to return gold medal...
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 12:48:10 PM »

At least we didn't lose the gold to the Hmongs.

Cho, you always put things in perspective.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 12:49:15 PM »
i didnt know hmongs competed in the olympics. 

were they the horses in the equestrian events? 
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

inthesun

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004, 12:50:24 PM »
Were they the hurdles?

thechoson

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004, 12:50:55 PM »
no, they were the hurdles.

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004, 01:22:47 PM »
Giving back the gold medal is pure bs.  The US got shafted in basketball against the Russians.  I saw something about it on NBC.  The Russians pressued the officials to reset the clock several times, in teh final minutes of the game, so they can have a shot at winning the gold.  None of the American players would accept their silver medals.  All their medals still remains unclaimed, and never will be.  I think of one the players stipulated in his will, that neither of his children can claim his medal.  That's the way to protest, not to female dog and moan. 

@#!* the IOC.  Also, in the 1970s, the German's that won the Gold in women's swimming relay, all used steriods.  You can tell cause several of the swimmers became men years later.  Shouldn't they give back the gold?  I mean the US women's team swimming team got the silver too. 

Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2004, 02:08:56 PM »
I think it's such bull.  I feel bad for Paul Hamm, who worked his ass off, and put his heart into it, and won the gold.  He wasnt' the judge, he wasn't the one who made the error.  And now the memory of his victory will be marred becuase of this political bull.  The FIG just don't want to admit their error, and Hamm is in no way in control.  He should keep his medal.  He, as a gymnast, earned the right to keep it when they awarded it to him on the podium.

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2004, 02:38:25 PM »
I heard Hamm being interviewed the other day.  He said that there was actually a 0.2 automatic deduction that should have been taken off of the Korean's score for a technical problem in his routine (I think he did more than the allowed number of elements or something).  Did anyone hear that?  Is there any truth to it?  Why aren't they mentioning that at all if there is?
3.8/155

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2004, 02:46:35 PM »
You can basically say whatever you can after the fact.  Look through the tape, and nickpick it to death.  Hindsight it always 20/20.  Blah.  It's like the f-ing 2000 Presidental elections all over again. 
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2004, 02:49:03 PM »
I heard Hamm being interviewed the other day.  He said that there was actually a 0.2 automatic deduction that should have been taken off of the Korean's score for a technical problem in his routine (I think he did more than the allowed number of elements or something).  Did anyone hear that?  Is there any truth to it?  Why aren't they mentioning that at all if there is?

this is true.  he was only supposed to have a total of 4 hold elements and the korean dude had 5.  that is an automatic .2 deduction. 

but in the end, its all hindsight.  and hamm should get the gold regardless.  the dude came back from falling on his ass to do two routines that were virtually flawless.  if thats not the sign of a champion, i dont know what is.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2004, 02:50:50 PM »

Umm... yeah.  I already said that.  Read my post above.  I didn't hear it from Hamm, though; I heard it during the apparatus finals a couple nights ago, the same night Alexei Nemov got screwed, from the commentators.  The showed the tape of the Korean guy's routine and showed his four holds.  You're only allowed to have three.  (This is a correction of dsong's post.)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?