Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hamm asked to return gold medal...  (Read 2683 times)

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hamm asked to return gold medal...
« on: August 27, 2004, 12:30:34 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,130336,00.html

Talk about changing the rules after the game. I apologize, but I think this is pathetic.  Thank goodness the U.S. Olympic Committee refused to deliver the message. 

inthesun

Re: Hamm asked to return gold medal...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 12:32:10 PM »
Another attempt to make the US like the assholes.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 12:33:59 PM »
Omg, that's such BS.  They shouldn't take away golds, except for the drug abuse stuff.  They should give the South Korean guy a gold and just have two gold medalists.

And also, the tie breaker in gymnastics is BS too.  Why can't they just award two gold medals?

"I got the silver medal."
"By how many points did you miss the gold?"
"0."

Isn't that ridiculous?  Although I'm glad the Italian guy won the tie breaker against Paul Hamm.  I thought the Italian guy's routine was superior.  Hamm's was great, obviously, but the Italian guy did some crazy *&^%.  He and Alexei Nemov should have shared the gold, and Hamm would have been bounced down to bronze, but then he'd have one of each color :)  To go with the GOLD that he deserves.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 12:35:38 PM »
the korean dude should not get a gold medal.  ruling should stand. 

the olympics are getting really sad.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

inthesun

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 12:35:45 PM »
I like the idea of awarding two golds.  That's what they did during the whole figure skating fiasco, and I think the result was good for all parties.  

I don't understand why the FIG and IOC want to put the pressure on the US for their mistake.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 12:38:23 PM »
I like the idea of awarding two golds.  That's what they did during the whole figure skating fiasco, and I think the result was good for all parties.  

I don't understand why the FIG and IOC want to put the pressure on the US for their mistake.

they need a fall guy.  they dont want to admit their mistake.  morons.

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 12:38:59 PM »
But DSong, he's Korean!  And the other dude's American, so I'm not sure he's white, but statistically his chances of being white are good.  It is a traitorous thing to your hatred of white people and excessive love of all things Korean to say this.

ZAP

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 12:41:42 PM »
my hatred is one thing.  but fairness is another. 

and there is no such thing as excessive love of all things korean.  one cannot love korea too much. 

But DSong, he's Korean!  And the other dude's American, so I'm not sure he's white, but statistically his chances of being white are good.  It is a traitorous thing to your hatred of white people and excessive love of all things Korean to say this.

ZAP

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 12:45:39 PM »

I'm not opposed to him getting a gold medal, because they objectively scored him incorrectly.  There's no arguing that he was scored out of a 9.9 instead of a 10.0.  That having been said, when you look at the video again, there's a 0.2 deduction that the judges could have taken that they didn't, for whatever reason; on the parallel bars, you're only allowed to do three holds, and the Korean gymnast in question actually did four.  So he could have actually been scored 0.1 points lower, even with the increased difficulty.  However, judging mistakes like this happen all the time, and you can't just open the floodgates by fixing it this time.  The one about the degree of difficulty, though, is a valid point, so I think he should get the points for that.  Although I heard from someone at work that you're supposed to complain about that after the event, and the Korean waited until after the meet; if that's the case, then I said one gold, Paul Hamm's.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

thechoson

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 12:46:29 PM »
The judges screwed up.  Guess what, that's part of it.  It all evens out in the long run.  And besides, the Korean should have stepped up his game even more, to erase ANY doubt.

I remember what Jordan used to say when someone asked him if he feared losing any games cause of a blown call at the end. Jordan responded that's part of the game, and that's why he goes out every 4th quarter looking to DESTROY the opponent, so there will be NO DOUBT.  Same deal.

Let Hamm keep his gold.  I'd rather us Koreans keep our f-ing dignity and the silver then some lame ass attempt to maket things right.  @#!* that.  At least we didn't lose the gold to the Hmongs.