Law School Discussion

Harvard Phone Interview

jd2bee

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Harvard Phone Interview
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2006, 11:16:51 AM »
I agree.  And if anyone is flaming about their calls, well karma is a biotch.

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2006, 11:26:52 AM »
Seriously, though.  I wouldn't lie about phone interviewing with Harvard.  There would be no point.

Reach

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2006, 11:38:36 AM »
I think it's excellent that I'm in the first applicant pool and that I did not, effectively, get crushed by the combined weight of all the early September applicants. 

Win, lose, or draw, I just want my admissions cycle to be over with quickly.  I remember reading through threads on this forum well before I even took the LSAT and feeling sorry for the poor people hanging around in the middle of June waiting for their fate to be decided.  I think I'd prefer a ding to that particular hell.

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2006, 08:01:19 PM »
I went complete about 5 hours after finishing my call; the order seems a bit off there, but I'm not complaining.

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2006, 08:12:22 PM »
Thought I'd clarify a few things about last cycle.  Here's one:

No, no. I haven't gone complete officially.

Wow.  You are interviewing before going complete?  That's crazy.  Is the interview w/ Toby?  Good luck, and don't forget to post your experience.   ;)

This is in fact not unusual at all.  This occurred many times last cycle.

I should note though... I visited HLS earlier this year and the woman who spoke to us (Cassandra Williams was her name, I believe) stressed that not everyone who got in was called, and not all who were called got in.  She didn't mention the "only 2" number that I've heard batted around; she certainly made it sound as though it was completely non-indicative of anything.  Here's to hoping.

I talked to Toby.  He said he called about 1000 people and maybe about 800 offers.  He called roughly everyone that got offerred admission.  The exceptions were probably unreachable by phone.  He did make overseas calls.

Reach

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2006, 08:55:23 PM »
All the people who got one were warned ahead of time, right (going out to the two who said they got calls thus far this cycle)?

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2006, 08:22:10 AM »
All the people who got one were warned ahead of time, right (going out to the two who said they got calls thus far this cycle)?

I received an e-mail asking whether there were any bad times for the phone call to take place.  No exact time was given--just a general timeframe.

jd2bee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2006, 08:41:24 AM »

I received an e-mail asking whether there were any bad times for the phone call to take place.  No exact time was given--just a general timeframe.

Could you tell us a little more about you (numbers, particularly interesting points about your application, etc.)?  How did the call go, any pointers or any red flags?

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2006, 03:44:35 PM »
Could you tell us a little more about you (numbers, particularly interesting points about your application, etc.)?  How did the call go, any pointers or any red flags?

Sure.  Without going into a great amount of detail this early in the season, I can say that I have relatively good numbers (170+ LSAT, 3.9+ GPA), have stronger work experience than most candidates, and have faced a rather atypical amount of adversity throughout my years.

As far as the call itself, I must admit that I was caught a little off guard; I didn't have much time to prepare.  With that said, everything you have probably already read about the calls in the prior admissions cycle is pretty much dead on--lots of resume-based questions, and, overall, a very congenial tone.  I just hope I didn't severely mess anything up!

jd2bee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2006, 02:08:27 PM »
Bump - anyone else hear from Harvard?