Law School Discussion

Harvard Phone Interview

jd2bee

• View Profile
    • Email
Harvard Phone Interview
« on: October 23, 2006, 10:12:25 AM »
Looks like the Harvard calls may begin soon!  Take a look at T-Stock's blog:

The admissions season is well under way here at Harvard once again. I started reading applications last week and I am reminded once again how many talented and interesting people choose to apply to Harvard Law School. Iím already looking forward to meeting some of these people at our admitted student events and later on in the fall. The Class of 2010 will soon start to take shape.

Iím writing this, however, to let you all know that I will begin making phone calls to many applicants. This initial interview for people who catch my eye is a chance for me to ask some questions about the things I read in applications. What did you do in this summer internship? What is this activity that has taken up so much of your time? What is your senior thesis all about?

It also gives me a chance to get to know our top applicants a little better. Thereís only so much we can gauge about ďpersonal qualitiesĒ just by reading personal statements, recommendations, and other written materials. To be honest, you can only get a little more from a phone interviewóbut it *is* a little more. Harvard Law School is a place where your classmates are generally nice peopleócongenial, collegial, and collaborative. I am looking for those qualities in our applicants.

So donít be surprised if you get an e-mail from me in the near future (or much later in the season) letting you know that Iím going to be calling. And donít be nervous. Iím a pretty nice guy and I wonít ask you anything you donít know the answer to!

Reach

• View Profile
Re: Harvard Phone Interview
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 11:43:09 AM »
Heh.  I wonder if LoveTheBomb is going to be the first HLS phone call interview too :P

If anyone from last cycle is reading this, did it seem he only called people who received an offer or was he willing to call just to discuss something he felt was interesting?

jd2bee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 11:47:30 AM »
Heh.  I wonder if LoveTheBomb is going to be the first HLS phone call interview too :P

If anyone from last cycle is reading this, did it seem he only called people who received an offer or was he willing to call just to discuss something he felt was interesting?

Almost exclusively just to people who received an offer.  I think there were only 2 people that got the phone interviews who did not get admitted.  If you get the email invite, be prepared, be nice, don't be a tool, and you're good to go.  At least according to last cycle.  However, he might change things this cycle, based on what he learned last cycle.  Last cycle was the first time for these phone interviews (and I think his first time as Admissions Dean...)

Reach

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 12:08:35 PM »
Don't be a tool?  Damn, does that mean I shouldn't try to impress him by quoting from memory long passages culled directly from the Harvard website (complete with full URL and date the page was last updated of course!)?  All that memorizing for NOTHING!  No!

Seriously, that's pretty cool to hear.  As far as I know I'm not complete there either though I did get an email last week sometime that told me I should be soon.  I'm just a small shade above their published 25% LSAT and GPA, so it's possible I might be shown some love, but not altogether likely. 

We should do a pool on when the first phone calls will begin...I haven't looked for a thread from last year to see, so I might be way off, but I'll guess 10/30.

jd2bee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 12:30:31 PM »
Don't be a tool?  Damn, does that mean I shouldn't try to impress him by quoting from memory long passages culled directly from the Harvard website (complete with full URL and date the page was last updated of course!)?  All that memorizing for NOTHING!  No!

Seriously, that's pretty cool to hear.  As far as I know I'm not complete there either though I did get an email last week sometime that told me I should be soon.  I'm just a small shade above their published 25% LSAT and GPA, so it's possible I might be shown some love, but not altogether likely. 

We should do a pool on when the first phone calls will begin...I haven't looked for a thread from last year to see, so I might be way off, but I'll guess 10/30.

Last year I am pretty sure it was November.  I'll guess phone calls will start on November 14.  How about whoever is closest gets free admission to Harvard?

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 12:42:36 PM »
Anyone else get the e-mail? I'm usually really calm about this kind of stuff but I don't think I'll be sleeping this week.

jd2bee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 12:48:03 PM »
Anyone else get the e-mail? I'm usually really calm about this kind of stuff but I don't think I'll be sleeping this week.

Anyone ELSE?  Did you get an interview email already?  I got an email telling me I'm not complete, but that's it...

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 12:48:58 PM »
Not everyone who gets to interview by phone will be accepted, though it is a very, very good sign.  It means you caught their eye and they're taking an added interest in you.  The worst fate you'll suffer most likely is a waitlist, though odds are, especially if you're offered a phone interview early on in the process, you will be offered a spot.  Though let's not jinx ourselves here.  

jd2bee is right to be cautious.  Last year was the first year Harvard offered phone interview, and they have probably tweaked their approach.

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 12:54:54 PM »
Anyone ELSE?  Did you get an interview email already?  I got an email telling me I'm not complete, but that's it...

Yeah, apparently happening in the next couple of days. As I said, no sleep for this guy.

jd2bee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 01:00:06 PM »

Yeah, apparently happening in the next couple of days. As I said, no sleep for this guy.

OMG. Congrats!  Would you mind sharing when you went complete and what the email said?  This is awesome news that Harvard is starting so soon.  Seriously, don't be nervous - it's apparently not interview-like.  Just a phone conversation.  There is a Harvard interview thread somewhere - I'll see if I can dig it up, and it has some advice.  Just be familiar with your resume, some things you want to study (general future goals), and be yourself!  And if you don't think it went well afterwards, don't stress, because a bunch of people thought this and still got in.  Also, you're incredibly lucky to get the call so early because from what I saw, it seemed like T-Stock got a little more curt in the calls toward the end of the season (I guess that's what happens when you call almost every single admit).

Edit:  Here's that thread.  Check out the beginning of it.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,46438.0.html