Law School Discussion

Son, I can't roll with Obama runnin' for President.

TruOne

• I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
Son, I can't roll with Obama runnin' for President.
« on: October 23, 2006, 08:58:12 AM »
I'm sure he's a great guy, but I think it would be a travesty for him to run. Simply put, the man ain't got no expereince. Peer pressure is a mutha . . . The man ain't got no experience runnin' a country, city, state, *&^%, he ain't even ran a bake sale!

Hillary is probably more qualified than Obama. But we gonna vote for Obama just b/c he's black and he's a Democrat. Let Rice or Powell run, and n-word would be talkin' about them like a dog!

I think Obama should hold ff and run in 2012, AFTER he has some experience.

From his own lips:

"Until now, Mr. Obama and his associates have said that he would put off any run for the White House until after he had gained the experience in government that comes from six years in Washington. As it is, they said, if he ran for president he would have to overcome the questions about whether someone who had served just two years in the Senate, was 45 years old and had no experience in foreign policy was qualified to serve in the White House."

ADL

• View Profile
Re: Son, I can't roll with Obama runnin' for President.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 10:17:12 AM »
i can't roll w/it either.  i mean, from what i've seen, he's on the right track, i like him, but i definitely think it's waaay to soon for him to run for Pres.  i can't see him as a serious candidate & i really think it's a lot of hype.
i also like hillary & even though i'm pretty sure she's going to run, i don't think she stands a chance of winning either. 
even though i wish it weren't true, the majority of people in this country will not vote for a woman for Pres., even in 2008.

faith2005

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 10:41:35 AM »
tru one, why are your post titles always so personal? LOL! I was like, hmm, has Tru been asked to be on the campaign committee or something? :D

guyminuslife

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 10:55:22 AM »
I wouldn't vote for Obama because he's black, I'd vote for him because he comes off as very intelligent and I'm a sucker for candidates who ooze charisma.

That said, I would like to see him running for president, but not before 2012 if a Republican wins the Presidency or 2016 if a Democrat wins. He's young, he can wait.

ADL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 10:56:51 AM »
I agree that he lacks experience, and it will be interesting to see if he actually does pursue it. I think he won't...at best he might end up as a VP candidate...but he's at the point, especially since he's on every talk show right now promoting his book that he can't brush off the question like he used to.

I personally think he would be a fantastic president. Experience doesn't trump intelligence, ability to pursuade and diplomacy. Please see example A: GWB for evidence on that one. I think he would be the perfect president for 2008...primarily because we need a personality as much as we need a leader. This country internally/externally is fractured so deeply it frightens me. Obama is a healer, the type who can reach out and mend some of deeper, more philosophical problems happening in our country. And - I think he is smart enough and moderate enough to surround himself with an experienced and smart cabinet who could help him maneuver through the bits where he lacks experience. We need an FDR and some fireside chats more than we need a seasoned politician.

However, I, too, think Hillary would be a fine president. Unfortunately, I don't think it's the fact that she is a woman that will keep her from winning...I think it's that she's Hillary. You either love her or you hate her...and unfortunately, people that hate you don't generally vote for you, no matter how intelligent, capable or qualified you are.

i agree that w/Hillary you either love her or hate her.  but i still that that there are people out there that will not vote for a woman for Pres. just as there are people who will not vote for a Black person for Pres.  i wish neither were true.

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 11:28:30 AM »
I don't want to see him run until he gets some experience either.  But, if he does run, I'll probably vote for him, my Republican allegiances and all.  And if he can get folks like me to vote for him, he can win.

lacoste

TruOne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 11:51:18 AM »

I personally think he would be a fantastic president. Experience doesn't trump intelligence, ability to pursuade and diplomacy. Please see example A: GWB for evidence on that one. I think he would be the perfect president for 2008...primarily because we need a personality as much as we need a leader. This country internally/externally is fractured so deeply it frightens me. Obama is a healer, the type who can reach out and mend some of deeper, more philosophical problems happening in our country. And - I think he is smart enough and moderate enough to surround himself with an experienced and smart cabinet who could help him maneuver through the bits where he lacks experience. We need an FDR and some fireside chats more than we need a seasoned politician.

Passion and charisma don't equate being a good Leader for the most powerfullest COuntry in the world.

He has no experience in a Leadership position. Look at the previous Presidents

George II - Gov of Texas
Clinton - Gov. of Arkansas
George I - VP & Director of the CIA
Reagan - Gov. of California
Carter - Gov. of Georgia
Ford - VP

All have had Executive positions. Being in a Executive Position means you can stand up and say, "I WAS RUNNIN' STUFF AND MADE BIG DECISIONS". Obama can't say that, he's only been a Senator for 2 years (4 if he runs for Prez.). Before that he was the Illinois State Senator. Being a Senator or in Congress means that you are a consensus builder, you vote of stuff you don't necessarily agree on just so you can see stuff get pushed thru. He has not been in a position that would demonstrate that he knows how to lead.

Plus, the man hasn't taken a definitve stance on anything since becoming a Senator. Aside from his disagreement about the information behind the Iraq War, there really isn't anything that he can hange his hat on defintively.

guyminuslife

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 11:53:54 AM »
Plus, the man hasn't taken a definitve stance on anything since becoming a Senator. Aside from his disagreement about the information behind the Iraq War, there really isn't anything that he can hange his hat on defintively.

I actually think that helps him.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 09:20:31 AM »
LMAO, am loving the title of this thread!

TruOne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 10:29:46 AM »
LMAO, am loving the title of this thread!

I find myself havin' to repeat it verbatum everytime I tell my fellow Negros this.