Law School Discussion

Playing in a Rock & Roll Band??

Playing in a Rock & Roll Band??
« on: October 23, 2006, 12:36:11 AM »
Hey guys,

My numbers are 3.72 GPA and 176 LSAT, and I'm going to be applying for the top 5 schools in the States (Yale, Harvard, Stanford, NYU, Columbia), as well as some Canadian options (I'm Canadian).

So my question is: I have ahd a fairly unorthodox personal life for a pre-law student. A good portiong of my undergraduate career was spent playing in and obsessing about my various rock and roll bands. I play in two now. I have maybe gigged with 10 or more bands in my life, playing drums, bass, guitar, keyboards, banjo, mandolin and singing. We have never really had much success financially or anything, but one of my bands has toured across Canada, and we're about to go again. I'm also a dedicated and constantly learning recording engineer. I've considered being a professional musican/engineer, but I feel like I would be maybe be wasting my intellectual abilities, and most older dudes that I see who have gone that route seem to have had a rather unsatisfying and hard life. I'm content at this point to be an entertainment lawyer and be a hobby musician/engineer. Do you think that this content will make for an OK personal statement?

I was pretty plugged in academically, but I was never on the debate club or got any awards or anything.

Thanks,
Mike

Harmonium

• Schiedmayer
    • View Profile
Re: Playing in a Rock & Roll Band??
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 12:55:33 AM »
I dunno. I've heard it said many times now, and I believe it more everyday, that if there is something you truly love to do, that makes you passionate and happy in your days, by ALL MEANS don't go to law school—unless that passion is actually practicing law. You might be afraid of the financial insecurity involved in such a lifestyle, and perhaps recording tech isn't as intellectually challenging on a daily basis as practice. But if playing music and recording songs satisfies you, then despite the tradeoffs, I can't see why you would choose law over it.

I'm currently debating the same thing with academic philosophy, and there are PLENTY more ways to make ends meet in the recording field! But law makes so many people unhappy, and especially if you would be missing what you enjoyed...

Sorry, I know you were asking about a PS, but I think it's sad when people turn away from their real passions for a notoriously unhappy field.

Incidentally, I do think you could spin the entertainment law angle for a good PS.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 01:07:36 AM »
My s.o. is a working jazz-punk musician (that is, a very poor person) who went to law school, loved it, and graduated in the top of the class but decided not to practice law.  I think going to law school with your background is unusual but not unheard of, and it could make an interesting PS.  If you're interested in readers when you pull this together, I'd be happy to have us both give it an eye.

mentalpatient

• WUCL 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 09:22:04 AM »
You and I have some similarities except you managed to get better numbers than I have.  I play guitar, drums, keyboard and do recordings on the side.  Sadly, many musicians face drug problems during college and become unmotivated with school works.  I was one of them for a while but I pulled it through.  I think writing about your band experience in your PS or at least on your resume (I heard LS resumes can include tons of information about yourself unlike professional resumes) will give you a good diversity consideration.  You'd still want to focus on your passion for LS as primary rather than your passion for the band.

I dunno. I've heard it said many times now, and I believe it more everyday, that if there is something you truly love to do, that makes you passionate and happy in your days, by ALL MEANS don't go to law school—unless that passion is actually practicing law. You might be afraid of the financial insecurity involved in such a lifestyle, and perhaps recording tech isn't as intellectually challenging on a daily basis as practice. But if playing music and recording songs satisfies you, then despite the tradeoffs, I can't see why you would choose law over it.

I'm currently debating the same thing with academic philosophy, and there are PLENTY more ways to make ends meet in the recording field! But law makes so many people unhappy, and especially if you would be missing what you enjoyed...

Sorry, I know you were asking about a PS, but I think it's sad when people turn away from their real passions for a notoriously unhappy field.

Incidentally, I do think you could spin the entertainment law angle for a good PS.
You make some good points, really.

However, I thoroughly enjoy recording myself as a hobby. I don't know that I would enjoy recording other people as a job, you know? I doubt that I'll ever stop, either, even if I do become a lawyer. And think of the awesome gear that I'll be able to afford.

And I think that I need a more stable lifestyle than that of a musician. All that touring and partying and touring.... Plus, I don't think that I have the mentality required to be an artist.

I think that I'm the type of guy who will be happy being a lawyer.

My s.o. is a working jazz-punk musician (that is, a very poor person) who went to law school, loved it, and graduated in the top of the class but decided not to practice law.  I think going to law school with your background is unusual but not unheard of, and it could make an interesting PS.  If you're interested in readers when you pull this together, I'd be happy to have us both give it an eye.
Thanks, I'll take you up on it!

So, you think that Harvard won't throw my application in the bin just because my PS includes as it's main content rocking out and drinking a ton of beer (well, I won't talk about that part...)?

Mike

zmlbc

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 10:01:30 AM »
If you are passionate about your music, and if that passion comes through in your essay, then I think it will make an excellent PS topic.  Your numbers already prove your academic strengths.

xonkdt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 02:45:53 PM »
I had to make a similar decision about four years ago (for college). I was dead set on going to a music school to study theory and composition (I play guitar and piano), but I ultimately decided not to and I am very glad I did. I still play everyday and study theory on my own while earning a degree in something else I love. If you are hesitant, but still want to go to law school I would try to get a lot of scholarship money so you are not tied down after graduation.