Law School Discussion

Some TOUGH choices

Some TOUGH choices
« on: February 16, 2004, 02:41:32 PM »
While I'm still waiting for my top 3 choices (UVA, Duke, Michigan), right now, I am in a difficult spot.  The 4 schools I'm into are UNC, William and Mary, Vanderbilt and Northwestern.  Of those 4, UNC is probably the school I like the most in terms of social life, location and atmosphere, but its the lowest ranked.  William and Mary is offering me half-tuition and a graduate fellow position, but if not for that, I wouldn't be considering it really.  Vandy is a top 20 school that seems to be solid in all respects but spectacular in none.  And Northwestern is the highest ranked, but in a location I don't love (and its d**mn expensive).  So what the heck do I do? 

BTW, I had a 3.75 GPA at a good liberal arts school in New England and got a 167 on the LSAT.

apartment

Re: Some TOUGH choices
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 02:57:39 PM »
I don't think anyone want to reply to this because it's one of those "you have to decide what is best for you; there's no right answer" type of things.  If you want input on specific schools, you may want to post this question on the Princeton Review boards and solicit opinions on each school.  The boards get quite a lot of traffic and you will likely get some good information that way.

BTW, I am in the same boat.  In at some fine schools but would prefer to go to some "lesser" ones.  What to do...

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 02:24:08 AM »
Hey JoeGibbs,

Recognized your moniker from the Vandy admit board (God I lead a pathetic life) and had to say hi.  Yeah, that's a personal call, but I'll give my 2 vents.  But since we both applied to Vandy and we both don't like the NW area, maybe we have other things in common.  UVA rules in my opinion, but without state residency my chances are slim and none, so I didn't apply.  If there were one school in the country I'd completely disregard the rankings for, it would be UNC.  I have some family near there, quality of life is unbeatable. By extension,  Duke's got that too.  I guess a lot depends on where you want to practice- good luck with your decision

Ivy_Hopeful

• Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 03:48:58 PM »
I visited Duke and UNC (over the winter reccess) I like them both. Duke is very spread out, while UNC is more bunched up. But UNC seems more  impressive in terms of the looks of the institution (these facts are obviously debateable using the USNWW reports). But those who live in the NC area (especially around by Duke) that Duke University ends where UNC begins"  ;) Good luck in your decisions
IVY-Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 04:35:18 PM »
Go to UNC! I know I'm biased because I just graduated there as an undergrad, but Chapel Hill is a wonderful facillitator for academics, and the town, people, climate, are often overlooked intangibles when looking at numbers/rankings. If it was me I would go to UVA if I got in, but my second beyond a doubt would be UNC. They have a great alumni network and if you did well, anywhere you wanted to practice would be available. Good luck!

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 05:19:19 PM »
That's the problem.  All 4 schools have so much going for them.  And now, I just heard that I'm into Texas, and that doesnt make the choice any easier since that's a great school with a great social life and a great cost but its far away and somewhere where my fiance really doesn't want to go to.  Ugg....before, I really wasn't that worked up about getting into my top 3 choices.  If figured, what happens, happens. But now, I really need to get into one of them so I don't have to make a choice between the next 5.  Sure would make life a lot easier.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 09:34:49 PM »
Man, you sure have a nice problem.  :)

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 09:59:06 PM »
I know it sounds like a silly thing to stress over, but its not an easy call.  I feel like I'm being pulled in 5 directions at once.  I've got a bank account saying one thing, knowledgeable personal advisors saying another, my not-so-relevant urge to go to a fun place saying another, and my girlfriend hinting about another.  Sometimes options can be paralyzing.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 02:38:19 PM »
Go to Texas!  Your fiancee will love Austin; it's impossible not to.  And it's almost or equally highly regarded as Northwestern for way less money.  Also the cost of living is low but the quality of life is high...

Ivy_Hopeful

• Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2004, 12:55:17 AM »
yeah I would love to have that problem!  ;)