Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2.8 GPA, 163 LSAT - Advice Needed and Appreciated  (Read 2169 times)

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
2.8 GPA, 163 LSAT - Advice Needed and Appreciated
« on: October 22, 2006, 08:36:47 PM »
So I didn't have the most outstanding collegiate career. I did double major in sociology and economics. I graduated in 2005 and have been in the workforce. I think I've matured a lot during this time, and at some point decided that I wanted to pursue law. I took the LSAT's a month ago, landed a 163, which was the 89th percentile.

I know that some schools weigh LSATs more than others, but obviously I'm also held back by my GPA. The whole point of this is to come out of school with some opportunities - so if I can't get into a solid school that will provide me with those opportunities, I'd rather not go at all and go in some other direction.

Any suggestions would be helpful!
In: Suffolk, Seton Hall($$)
Pending: BC, Brooklyn, Cardozo, George Mason, Ohio State, Temple
Out: Nowhere yet.
2.8/163

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2.8/163 - any hope?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 08:48:59 PM »
My main criterion at this point is that it be a school with a good enough repuation of quality to provide me with attractive opportunities when I finish. That's very general, obviously, but that's what I'm looking for right now.
2.8/163

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 11:25:02 AM »
 :-\
2.8/163

paigeroo

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 11:30:04 AM »
So I didn't have the most outstanding collegiate career. I did double major in sociology and economics. I graduated in 2005 and have been in the workforce. I think I've matured a lot during this time, and at some point decided that I wanted to pursue law. I took the LSAT's a month ago, landed a 163, which was the 89th percentile.

I know that some schools weigh LSATs more than others, but obviously I'm also held back by my GPA. The whole point of this is to come out of school with some opportunities - so if I can't get into a solid school that will provide me with those opportunities, I'd rather not go at all and go in some other direction.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Have you considered getting a masters degree and then reapplying?  A masters with a solid 4.0 will show what you're capable of.  Or if you can write a convincing addendum.. that may help too.

mae8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 01:00:58 PM »
2 years of grad school so he *may* have a better shot at some schools? what areas of the country are you thinking of?
Emory '09

dbmuell

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 01:04:51 PM »
The answer is yes.  If you look at the LSAC calculator, there are a number of T2/T3 schools that you would have a great shot at getting into with those numbers.  Despite the prevailing attitudes on this board, a 163 is still a very good LSAT score (better than 89% of takers) and means a lot to law schools.  With a good PS and some work experience, you have a good shot at a good school.

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 03:52:56 PM »
If I put together a good application (meaning solid LOR and PS), what do you think of my chances at getting into the following:

Ohio State
Fordham
Indiana University
Arizona State
Florida State
Villanova
Northeastern

And my uber-reach:

BU  :-\

Again - 2.8 and a 163, double major in Sociology and Economics, I've spent a year in the work force working at a large corporation.
2.8/163

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 04:24:40 PM »
Most of the splitters that have good luck have significantly higher LSAT scores and have been out of undergrad 5+ years. With just 1 year out so far, you really haven't distanced yourself much from your mediocre undergrad or been able to show your potential in the corporate workforce. I think most of the schools are quite a bit of a reach and you may want to consider schools lower down in the 2nd tier- tier 1 is pretty unlikely.

parsley

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 04:29:06 PM »
You may want to wait a bit and get more work experience -- it'll make you a stronger applicant and allow you to distance yourself from those grades.

It's a lot easier to say "I screwed up 7 years ago and changed my ways" rather than "I screwed up 2 years ago, but I'm a completely different person now. I swear!"

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 04:39:31 PM »
According to the LSAC calculator, I have a decent shot get getting into SOME of those schools based on numbers alone. Indiana and Ohio they have me at about a coin flip. If I can augment my application with positive LOR's and a good PS, do you still think I'm just a reach?
2.8/163