Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any suggestions?  (Read 1520 times)

Brito

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any suggestions? 4.0/172
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2006, 01:41:34 AM »
Hello fellow 172! (But with a far superior gpa... :-[)

Since the LS application process is so stnadardized and the LSAC program lets you fill out common info once for all apps, all you have to do is tweak the individual apps and attach a PS + Resume. It might be worth your time to 'pepper' the T14-20 schools, see what you get and weigh your options when you have the acceptances in hand. You have Chicago, but why not Columbia or NYU? Michigan? etc. Unless you have a serious reason for not attending a school, don't sell yourself short by not applying to that school, unless it's outside the T20 or so, where with your stats admission isnt a matter of if but when.

Also, apply ASAP!

Good Luck!

Well, I don't think I can afford to apply to schools that I'm pretty sure I won't attend.  I can only eventually go to one, after all, so as long as my apps are diverse enough that I'll probably get into at least one really good school, I don't see the point in putting out more.  Or is there?
Harvard 2010

Brito

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 01:55:03 AM »
Well, I don't think I can afford to apply to schools that I'm pretty sure I won't attend.

Ah, that's a fair consideration. You might try fishing for merit based fee waivers, I've heard of people having some success with it (UVA gave me one for just talking with them at their forum table). If it's a real burden you could try waiting and applying to schools that arent on your list as you get waivers for them.

I very well may apply to any good school that offers a fee waiver. 

The upshot I suppose is that sometimes admissions arent always predictable- CCN don't all accept and reject the same candidates, though your credentials are pretty sterling based on their admit data. Your stats are good enough that you want to diversify across the upper range of schools. Ultimately it gives you the choice of exploring your options in depth once you know which schools you have acceptances at, rather than pre-screening them and possible eliminating a school you'll get into that might be a serious consideration depending on how the cycle shakes out.

Yes, this is what I'm afraid of, and I think your advice here is sound.
Harvard 2010

Nizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 04:00:02 AM »
Out of curiosity, why are you so set on Chicago?  Weren't you just asking which schools to apply to pretty recently? Kinda need a little bit more research.

While Chicago as a first choice is a reasonable position even if you had 180/4.0, i am just curious as to whether you considered the New York twins.  To be sure, they are different than chicago, and plenty of people would pick chicago first because of specific reasons.  Your numbers give you a good shot at NYU and Columbia as well, maybe as good of a  shot as you have at Chicago.  Just to be clear, I go to NYU, so i am bviously not completely impartial here.   

Well, I don't think I can afford to apply to schools that I'm pretty sure I won't attend.

Ah, that's a fair consideration. You might try fishing for merit based fee waivers, I've heard of people having some success with it (UVA gave me one for just talking with them at their forum table). If it's a real burden you could try waiting and applying to schools that arent on your list as you get waivers for them.

I very well may apply to any good school that offers a fee waiver. 

The upshot I suppose is that sometimes admissions arent always predictable- CCN don't all accept and reject the same candidates, though your credentials are pretty sterling based on their admit data. Your stats are good enough that you want to diversify across the upper range of schools. Ultimately it gives you the choice of exploring your options in depth once you know which schools you have acceptances at, rather than pre-screening them and possible eliminating a school you'll get into that might be a serious consideration depending on how the cycle shakes out.

Yes, this is what I'm afraid of, and I think your advice here is sound.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2006, 05:31:49 AM »
I've read it a few times.  I will fourth or fifth it.  Berkeley needs to be one of your applications.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

Brito

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2006, 08:22:34 AM »
Out of curiosity, why are you so set on Chicago?  Weren't you just asking which schools to apply to pretty recently? Kinda need a little bit more research.

I'm by no means set, just thinking highly of it...  Most of my apparently decisive language about Chicago is hypothetical.  Definitely time for more research.  I won't be making real decisions for several more months.

I am looking into Columbia and NYU... thanks for your advice there!  I certainly might prefer either of those schools; there's no way to know yet.
Harvard 2010