Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are law school fairs really worth it???  (Read 494 times)

HaciM36

• Sr. Citizen
  • YUM YUM YUM
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HAC1M36
    • View Profile
Are law school fairs really worth it???
« on: October 22, 2006, 06:29:09 PM »
Tomorrow there is a large law school fair in Philadelphia for those who live in the area. I was just wondering if it's really worth it to attend these things. I've never been to one but I have the feeling at the end of the day I'd just end up with a bunch of brochures and stuff from various law schools. Seeing as getting into law school is a numbers game with GPA and LSAT score is it really worth going to one of these things and getting information that probably could just as easily be obtained from online? Anyone who has gone to a law school fair did you find it helpful and if so in what ways? I'm just trying to get a good feel for this thing because it's in the middle of the day and I'm pretty busy as is already and I'm tryin to figure out if they are worth attending???  I dont feel it could really help with the admissions process and make it any easier getting into a certain school. Comments anyone?
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forthfrom thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Are law school fairs really worth it???
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 06:41:05 PM »
Might as well go if you got an hour or two free...  the info they give out is pretty good; you can sometimes find info on specific programs they have more easily than looking online.

Further, you might hit it off with someone who has some clout in the admissions process, never know.

When I went, I hit it off with a 20-something from a top 25 school that will rename nameless.  We went out and hit the bars that night.

Imelda Marcos

• Sr. Citizen
  • If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 06:43:41 PM »
I don't know it it's going to make it any easier for you to get into a specific law school, but it certainly won't hurt.

You'll get tons of brochures, and business cards.  You can ask questions, and most of them offer you a sign in sheet, which allows you to show your interest, and to receive e-mail from them.

I went to the LA one last year and plan to go again in November, now that I am actually applying.  I really want a chance to show my face, let them know I'm interested and what my situation is.

Up to you, but I say anything offered is a chance to show how much you want to be in law school.  Just make sure you don't ask them anying questions such as, "Why should I go to your school?" or "What makes your school different?"  After all, we should be selling ourselves not asking them why we should want to go there!
It's Official Loyola class of 2010!!

WL still pending, fingers crossed it would make for a much easier decision!

K.C.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 08:26:06 PM »
You should definitely go, but do a little homework first.

Go to the websites of some of the schools you would like to attend, and also try to read what some people say about that school. That way you can ask better questions ("better" meaning questions that aren't answered on their website.)

For instance, I went to the law fair at BYU, and I started talking with the rep from Boston University. I asked her what her first impression of the Law Tower was because I read that it can be daunting for some people. She gave a laugh and we chatted for a few minutes about the school and city of Boston. And she was a lot more open than some of the other reps I met.

You can also get some inside information. One of the schools in the northwest, told me that if I was seriously interested in Public Interest, I would be better off applying to another school. Another school told me that their public interest program was good, but it's in the process of becoming better.

But you can only get that information if you know the right questions to ask. Don't ask about their LSAT medians. Worst case scenario, ask them what they're specifically looking for in a personal statement. And if you want a good laugh, stick around the Yale booth and hear their rep answer inane questions from naive passerbys.

JMFM2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 08:34:03 PM »
Tomorrow there is a large law school fair in Philadelphia for those who live in the area. I was just wondering if it's really worth it to attend these things. I've never been to one but I have the feeling at the end of the day I'd just end up with a bunch of brochures and stuff from various law schools. Seeing as getting into law school is a numbers game with GPA and LSAT score is it really worth going to one of these things and getting information that probably could just as easily be obtained from online? Anyone who has gone to a law school fair did you find it helpful and if so in what ways? I'm just trying to get a good feel for this thing because it's in the middle of the day and I'm pretty busy as is already and I'm tryin to figure out if they are worth attending???  I dont feel it could really help with the admissions process and make it any easier getting into a certain school. Comments anyone?

I'm thinking about going to this as well.  Do you know where there is a list of schools attending?

calcio103

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 11:45:41 PM »
There is a link on Drexel's homepage:

www.drexel.edu
Free Parking(A): Tulane, Miami, Florida, Florida State, Pacific($$), Baylor, Rutgers-N
Go Directly to Jail(R):
Chance (Waitlisted): American, Brooklyn

enkidu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 01:24:28 AM »
I'm going to hear more about the programs and hopefully to pick up a few fee waivers.

Question about fee waivers: How do they work? Do you have to mail them to the school or is it some code you put in on the online app?
Going to W&L!

Dr. Raoul Duke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 05:50:50 AM »
Agree about the fee waivers - some schools will give them out generously, was able to snag a few at the Berkeley fair a couple weeks ago.  Also, you can get some nice literature thats good for quick reference so you dont have to go online to look up stats all the time. 

Other than that though, they will tell you a lot of the same company-line spiel.  I'm sure its nothing that you didnt know before.