Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Testmasters LSAT prep course  (Read 7179 times)

thinkingaloud

• View Profile
Testmasters LSAT prep course
« on: February 16, 2004, 02:58:08 PM »
Anyone take it? if so, i'd be interested in knowing what you thought of it. thanks!

sailme01

• View Profile
Re: Testmasters LSAT prep course
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 03:09:02 AM »
I took a GMAT class with the Princeton Review and was pretty dissapointed with the class.  After doing a lot of research for the LSAT I decided to take the Test Masters class in San Francisco.  The quality differential between the two courses was night and day.  I highly recommend Testmasters and I promise I am not a Testmasters rep. My instructor was top notch and I thought the organization of the homework materials and practice tests was great.  The amount of homework is a bit overwhelming at times, but not impossible.  I work 40-50 hours a week and was able to finish all of the homework, though I had to get up at 5:am everyday to do the homework before going to work.   My LSAT score only increased 4 points but I think this was very atypical within my class. Other students saw, on average, a ten to fifteen point jump.  I think part of the reason I didn't see that kind of increase is because I had already been studying for the gmat for about five months, and while the tests are different, the critical reasoning sections are pretty similar.

Hope that helps. Definately do Testmasters over Kaplan or Princeton!
155 LSAT
3.68 UGPA

drewpac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 10:55:17 AM »
IMO, Testmasters is the best.  But having said that, I think you can increase your score by the same amount if you prepare independent of any prep course.  The nice thing about Testmasters is that they give you every LSAT question ever and they force you to study (in class) and encourage you to study on your own.  Some people really need this type of "push", and if you're one of them then I would definitely recommend Testmasters.

joegibbsiii

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 11:14:37 AM »
IMO, taking a class is a waste of time and a lot of money, unless you really, really struggle with discipline.  And even if you do struggle with discipline, I'd still advise against a class.  Hire a private tutor.  You'll be shocked how little the cost difference is and in half the time, you can get 10x the personal attention to your specific problems. 

My study method was to buy the Kaplan book, which has a really great interactive CD rom.  It goes through all the basics and has a nice bunch of exersizes (and a great test-taking interface).  Then, I bought a few books that have a bunch of tests and took a test almost every night for the 2 weeks prior to the LSAT, and the nights I didn't take a test, I did bunches of sections of Logic Games (because that was where I needed to focus and its the easiest section to improve on via practice).

dsds3581

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 01:10:35 PM »
I knew quite a few people who took Testmasters while I was in college and have met others since college who took it, and the score increases have been phenomenal (I can't recall anyone increasing less than 10 points that I know). I took Kaplan, and the advantages weren't the same (though I did well with Kaplan...but still haven't reached my ultimate goal whereas everyone I know who took Testmasters surpassed their goal). I've been told that Testmasters has big classes compared to other courses, but you still get more class time and more practice material (although for a higher price). After taking Kaplan and hearing all these great things about Testmasters, I would love to get my hands on their prep materials (I can't take Testmasters because there isn't one in my area--Kaplan is all we have, unfortunately).

skotval

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004, 03:08:47 PM »
I very highly recommend Testmasters.  I found the course to be extremely helpful... my LSAT score jumped 14 points!  You have to go to the classes and do the homework, and make sure to ask questions if you do not understand a concept.  There was a lot of work, but it was not overwhelming.  I was able to work full time and take the course.  I am one of those people who has a tendency to slack off if I am not kept on a schedule like that, so the course is very good for people like me who may not be quite as motivated by just individual study!  ;)

Bachsheesh

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 05:33:58 AM »
I found testmasters to be a great help.  After the course, my score jumped 21 points.  Now this is where testmasters is very nice.  If you take their course a second time, the price is about 1/3 of the original cost.  Also, you son't have to take the course anymore.  If you call them up, explain that you don't have time for a course...you can get the books with every problem ever published in the LSAT.  It's true the amount of homework is extraordinary, but it's probably the best thing you can find on the market.  Class is good.  The late night phone line rocks!!!  The jam sessions are so helpful.  If you need a class, I would waste time looking around.  Good Luck!

steve2004

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 09:32:40 AM »
Testmasters helped me improve my score by 13 points. I would strongly recommend it. They give you every question that has appeared on an LSAT in the past. The sheer volume of problems you can work with gives you useful exposure and knowledge of the test. I completed less than half of the problems they gave me, yet I still felt I had a thorough knowledge and comfort with the test.

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2004, 09:41:37 PM »
well my friend took it and it didnt help much

i took kaplan classes and the week before the test i scored a 141 on a practice (went down from a 158) and freaked...got a tutor at princeton and took the test in december instead...i ended up getting a 166 so i went up 25 points w/princeton (ok don't count that 141 it was probably a fluke...so you can say i went up 8 points)...tutor though, so it was much more expensive

snitchmaster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 08:18:07 PM »
are these score increases based on an initial practice test? or did you actually take the real thing twice? I bought the kaplan book w/cd rom, my first score practicing was a 148, i got a 161 on the real thing