Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UChicago 2L Taking Questions About Anything  (Read 55223 times)

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UChicago 2L Taking Questions About Anything
« Reply #870 on: April 05, 2007, 08:06:26 PM »
Is this the first year LSD has exploded with so many users? I mean, with some of the smaller schools (Penn, UChi, etc.), you have the legitimate possibility of 5-10% of the incoming class being active LSD members.

My 1L class at Chicago was definitely 5-10% XO posters. I think this year's 1L class at Chicago was probably at least 5-10% between XO and LSD.

deathcabfan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 05, 2007, 08:43:12 PM »
MTG:  Would you be willing to comment on my current dilemma?  ( http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,85957.15.html )  It would be nice to get some input from a current Chicago student.  Thanks.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #872 on: April 06, 2007, 05:26:42 PM »
Just got the email MTG mentioned earlier. Nice to see the final schedule for the ASW.

MTG: Any recommendations in terms of the classes we can sit in on? On the official schedule it gives us 3 options for Friday (all 1L electives): 'Legal History' with Prof. LaCroix, 'Parent, Child & the State' with Prof. Buss, and 'Health Law' with Prof. Malani.

The only one I would recommend against is Prof. LaCroix's class. I had her for ConLaw. She is a brand new teacher and has not really found her footing yet. Of every class I've taken at Chicago, I've only had two subpar professors, and she was one of them. I think she can be good eventually, but she's not there yet.

I feel bad saying that, because she seems like an extraordinarily nice person, but that is my honest assessment.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 06, 2007, 05:34:37 PM »
Looks like some fun plans!
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #874 on: April 06, 2007, 06:05:46 PM »
Cool: I just saw that even those of us NOT staying with a host overnight still do get A student host. Otherwise, those "dinner with student host" things would have been awkward. I would have had to run around looking for a host interested in adoption.

Yeah, everyone who RSVPs gets at least a day host. Hopefully.

I'm working on assigning everyone right now. Not exactly a fun task when I have 61 students left to assign and only 32 students left able to host.

daydreamer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: April 06, 2007, 06:26:31 PM »
will the hosts all be living in Regents?  also, are they planning to go to the bar after the law firm reception/ the bar on Fri night?

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #876 on: April 06, 2007, 06:35:51 PM »
will the hosts all be living in Regents?  also, are they planning to go to the bar after the law firm reception/ the bar on Fri night?

A lot of the hosts will be living in Regents, but definitely not all of them.

The only thing hosts are required to do is meet up with you to get your bags and take you to lunch and dinner on Friday. Everything else is optional, though most hosts will probably go to the reception/Sluggers/Rock Bottom too.

Also, we're just calling Rock Bottom the bar review for the week, so there will be a ton of non-hosts there.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #877 on: April 06, 2007, 07:14:57 PM »
Dear the pre-law students,

Please stop insisting that you are sooooo interested in international law. Seriously.

JuanTwoThree

• Sr. Citizen
  • Arnold is numero uno
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 06, 2007, 07:18:01 PM »

Please stop insisting that you are sooooo interested in international law. Seriously.

Every other Q at NYU ASW dealt with international law.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #879 on: April 06, 2007, 07:22:36 PM »

Every other Q at NYU ASW dealt with international law.

I can't wait until that happens at Chicago ASW. Levmore totally shut them down on it last year. And it is well deserved, as 90% of these people have no idea what they are talking about.