Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Retake in Dec or June for next cycle?  (Read 414 times)

BrooklynLaw

• View Profile
Retake in Dec or June for next cycle?
« on: October 21, 2006, 10:49:51 PM »
I got a 158 on this last Sept exam and i'm not happy with it after preptesting much higher.

Are retakers in Dec at a severe disadvantage? Are we that behind in the cycle that it's a better choice just to take a year off and apply in the next cycle after taking the June test?

LT_Eagels_1

Re: Retake in Dec or June for next cycle?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 10:55:55 PM »
I am in the same boat, I'm not sure how much I can improve between now and Dec but I'm at the point where I cannot waste another year so I'm going to study as hard as I can between now and Dec, take the Dec LSAT, and see what happens.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 11:45:50 AM »
It depends on which schools you're aiming for.  A 158 will get you into a lot of quality schools.  If you're aiming for schools with a median lsat in the low-mid 160's, then you should retake.  You might be at a slim disadvantage, but if you indicate on your applications that you're taking the dec. lsat, most schools will hold off on making a decision.  If your 158 is within their LSAT range, then you'll probably get accepted anyway.  Again, it's difficult to tell without knowing your other stats and which schools you're targetting.
Yale.Law.School.2010

LT_Eagels_1

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 11:47:25 AM »
I have the same problem, I don't want to waste money applying to reach schools if I don't get the score I want on my Dec LSAT but at the same time, if I wait until I get my Dec LSAT score in Jan, it might be too late, what should I do?

Skipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 12:11:05 PM »
Keep in mind that June's test will have the new RC section on it, and it will be difficult to prepare for.

The scale might be adjusted accordingly, but then again, we thought the scale would be easier for this past exam too, and it was even more difficult than June's scale.

BrooklynLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 09:34:20 PM »
I've decided to retake next June instead of Dec. All the good test centers are already taken and one of the reasons i didn't do as well on the Sept is because of the incompetently run test center. I figure I'll have more time to prepare. A new RC doesn't scare me that much, it's the same length but just two opposing views instead of one author's view. And they'll release samples of it.

I'm just hoping all that extra time will allow me some extra studying to get an even better score improvement and to get in early for the the Fall 08 Admission cycle. The schools I want to attend are all high 160's low 170s.

younghova

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 09:40:24 PM »
I'm in the same position, but with a worse lsat score (153..technically a 152, but the machine made a mistake.  I have to five more days to see if they'll change it).

I'm gonna get a job, study for the June, and apply early, august/September.