Law School Discussion

Announcing the most BORING LSD thread EVER! Here we ask & answer legal questions

redemption

Re: Announcing the most BORING LSD thread EVER! Here we ask & answer legal quest
« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2006, 05:28:01 PM »
i would love to have other nutcases in my classes.  i appear to be one of the few people not paralyzed with fear.  yesterday i invoked the 'happy gilmore' defense in torts 'you hit that guy!'  'shouldnt have been standing there.'  a couple of weeks ago, after having stayed up all night completing a memo rewrite, i was dead asleep in contracts class when i was called upon.  i leapt up, saying, "sue them all.  and everyone who looks like them!"  as much as that comment was received with riotous laughter, it HAPPENED TO BE THE CORRECT RESPONSE.  an amazing coincidence.

answers of mine have also included "kill the bastard" in response to some child rapist case, and when asked for "non-legal terminology to describe the court's decision" replied "that's bullsh*t!"

though i have been tagged as a first-round gunner, i'm at least an entertaining one.  and i think that i am more apt to have my particular eccentricities accepted by the professors as i am much the same age as they are.  ah well.  i may not graduate, but i intend to have fun not doing it.

lol. Now that's how law school should be done.

H4CS

• View Profile
Re: Announcing the most BORING LSD thread EVER! Here we ask & answer legal quest
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2006, 05:55:34 PM »
answers of mine have also included "kill the bastard" in response to some child rapist case, and when asked for "non-legal terminology to describe the court's decision" replied "that's bullsh*t!"

It sounds like you might out-crazy me.  Congrats, that's something to which I might one day aspire.

« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2006, 05:57:09 PM »
Yeah, well, as far as I’m concerned, if epileptics want to drive, they should be strictly liable for any accidents they cause when they have a seizure while driving.  I don’t care if they do what their doctor tells them.  Pfffttt….Doctors….what do they know anyway?

I take every chance I get to attack doctors in class.  Ask Bass.  It's one of my many gunnerish hallmarks.

Bravo!  I wasn't kidding.

Word! I have an uncle-in-law who is prone to seizures. I forget the name of his condition, but it is exacerbated by being sleep-deprived, being stressed-out, not eating regular meals, etc. He was overworked at work, and he knew he was extremely sleep-deprived and stressed and not taking care of himself and he ended up having a seizure in the car while he was driving his two-year-old son, and crashing into a building. Neither of them were seriously hurt, but he told us all that story as though it were amusing. I thought it was shockingly negligent, and that he was crazy to drive his kid around at ALL.

This is a much stronger negligence case than Hammontree, because your uncle knew he was acting in a manner that would aggravate his disease (Jenner, in contrast, believed his condition was controlled by his medication; he hadn't experienced a seizure in 12 years).  I think the majority jurisdictions today have abolished parental immunity to allow children to claim against their parents for non-intentional torts (all jursidictions allow a claim for an intentional tort), at least in limited circumstances.  

NY preserves immunity when the injury occurs in the course of parental supervision, or lack thereof; Wisconsin says there is immunity when the act involves (1) the exercise of parental control or (2) ordinary parental discretion.

Your uncle would probably be immune under the broad NY standard, but could arguably fail in Wisconsin (mostly because the intent of that ruling was to allow parents to raise their children as they see fit, but knowingly putting your toddler in a dangerous situation would fall outside this protection).  

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2006, 05:48:28 PM »
One of many, for sure.  Not the least annoying, though.  They get much, much worse.

Hah, and to think you wanted this:

I'd like to be in the same section with Hooray4CptSpaulding because he is a complete nutcase, but a smart one, and this combination might make class very interesting.

To be fair, I wasn't sure you weren't a serial killer (a vibe I'm sure people often get from you).  At this point, I think it's likely that you are not a serial killer, so I feel more comfortable revealing your gunnerdom.

i would love to have other nutcases in my classes.  i appear to be one of the few people not paralyzed with fear.  yesterday i invoked the 'happy gilmore' defense in torts 'you hit that guy!'  'shouldnt have been standing there.'  a couple of weeks ago, after having stayed up all night completing a memo rewrite, i was dead asleep in contracts class when i was called upon.  i leapt up, saying, "sue them all.  and everyone who looks like them!"  as much as that comment was received with riotous laughter, it HAPPENED TO BE THE CORRECT RESPONSE.  an amazing coincidence.

though i have been tagged as a first-round gunner, i'm at least an entertaining one.  and i think that i am more apt to have my particular eccentricities accepted by the professors as i am much the same age as they are.  ah well.  i may not graduate, but i intend to have fun not doing it.

Good job.  Keep it going.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2006, 06:57:36 PM »
One of many, for sure.  Not the least annoying, though.  They get much, much worse.

Hah, and to think you wanted this:

I'd like to be in the same section with Hooray4CptSpaulding because he is a complete nutcase, but a smart one, and this combination might make class very interesting.

To be fair, I wasn't sure you weren't a serial killer (a vibe I'm sure people often get from you).  At this point, I think it's likely that you are not a serial killer, so I feel more comfortable revealing your gunnerdom.

OKAY, rev, this literally made me LOL.   :D