Law School Discussion

Michigan 1L Taking Questions

TimMitchell

Re: Michigan 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #960 on: August 09, 2008, 04:12:14 PM »
Do Summer starters have a lower median LSAT/GPA?

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #961 on: August 09, 2008, 04:42:11 PM »

No... I think that was true years and years ago, but I don't think it's true anymore.  This is based on a lunchtime talk for women in law with a bunch of former summer starters (from the 70s or 80s) who made some comment about it and a prof who felt the need to clear it up that summer starters were not of a lower "quality" than others.

Mickey Ward

• A kid from Lowell rises to the bell...
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: August 09, 2008, 04:46:53 PM »
Tag.

« Reply #963 on: August 09, 2008, 04:50:39 PM »

In my case, yes. but probably not true for summer starters as a whole.

Mickey Ward

• A kid from Lowell rises to the bell...
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: August 09, 2008, 05:03:08 PM »

My hometown homie here is far too hard on himself.

I have to say that the designation of AA as a breakfast pastry desert is entirely accurate. I've also found it impossible to locate a decent donut... do any of my compatriots have recommendations on this?

I mean, really... the nearest Dunkies is on the far end of Ypsi, I think.

But, on the other hand.... we have hippie hash.

Bouzie

• yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #965 on: August 09, 2008, 05:27:13 PM »

I have to say that the designation of AA as a breakfast pastry desert is entirely accurate. I've also found it impossible to locate a decent donut... do any of my compatriots have recommendations on this?

Mickey:

Washtenew Dairy on Hoover and Ashley has goooood donuts.  It also has gigantic ice cream cones for $2!

« Reply #966 on: August 09, 2008, 07:04:43 PM »

thanks man, but just tellin like it is. speaking of the hometown, I was there today.

hippy hash is good, but there is an even better breakfast place in Ypsi, the bomber.

« Reply #967 on: August 09, 2008, 08:50:24 PM »

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that most (though not all) summer starters are ED applicants.  (I also believe that all ED admits end up as summer starters, correct?.) 

Given that ED applicants are probably (though not necessarily) more borderline applicants, I would assume that they do, on average, have a slightly lower average numerical profile.  (The fact a prof would try to dispute this is completely foreseeable, but also completely meaningless without supporting data.) It's not going to be a huge difference either way.

I'll also second what others have said about summer start -- most people I've spoken to who've done this appear to love it.  To the extent they form a clique, it's because they actually get to know each other due to the smaller class size.

Some summer starters are ED, but there are a lot (like me) who are not, and the numbers are more than balanced by the waitlist acceptances in the fall. 

My numbers are by no means marginal, and I'm one of the dumb kids in the section. 

GCoop.

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: August 09, 2008, 09:34:21 PM »

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that most (though not all) summer starters are ED applicants.  (I also believe that all ED admits end up as summer starters, correct?.) 

Given that ED applicants are probably (though not necessarily) more borderline applicants, I would assume that they do, on average, have a slightly lower average numerical profile.  (The fact a prof would try to dispute this is completely foreseeable, but also completely meaningless without supporting data.) It's not going to be a huge difference either way.

I'll also second what others have said about summer start -- most people I've spoken to who've done this appear to love it.  To the extent they form a clique, it's because they actually get to know each other due to the smaller class size.

Any change that is being discussed is likely the change that no longer allows schools to hide students from ABA reporting students in non fall start programs.  It used to be the case that a school would not have to report the statistics of students in a program like the summer program, and so it became a place for those whose numbers were less than impressive (this may even explain why ED was summer start only); now all statistics are reported, so the benefit to hiding people in the summer class no longer exists.

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #969 on: August 09, 2008, 10:05:32 PM »

The class size is no smaller for ABCD (summer starters) than for any of the other sections.