Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan 1L Taking Questions  (Read 74799 times)

Tiny Sedan

• View Profile
Re: Michigan 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #960 on: August 07, 2008, 09:08:04 PM »
If someone posts actual evidence that raising Michigan's LSAT median wouldn't elevate their ranking, and therefore change their image in the minds of students, they're welcome to do so.

Currently, Michigan's median LSAT is 168, which corresponds to a percentile of approximately 97.  If they raised it to 180, that would be a percentile of 100, or 99.99 or whatever.  The percentile is what US News uses in their calculations.  A perfect LSAT median would only gain Michigan 3 percentile points, and the LSAT is only 12.5% of the overall score.  It's just not enough to change anything.

I've seen the numbers crunched, and raising Michigan's median LSAT to 180 makes no difference.  (Conversely, you would have to lower Michigan's median LSAT to 164 before their ranking lowered a notch).  However, doing nothing but raising Michigan's median GPA from 3.68 to 3.73 WOULD raise Michigan a notch to be tied with Penn and Chicago.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: August 07, 2008, 10:25:33 PM »
Ok, I'll disagree with HM here, though I am completely in love with him. (So embarassing, really.)

I decided I would only go to Michigan if I could be a summerstarter. And voila, that's what happened. I think HM is really downplaying the bennies of easing into the year, with classes and what not. It frees up a lot of your time to begin becoming involved in organizations and projects right away when school starts (the edboards at UMich are positively riddled with summerstarters), and lends a certain flexibility to the schedule that can be really helpful for when doctrinal classes are beginning to wear one down. He's also, IMO, downplaying the bennies of getting to see, at least once, Ann Arbor weather at its finest - that really nice summer made me want to kill myself a modicum less when the bitter, bitter winter rolled around.

Though hanging out with the same people for months was somewhat restrictive, there's something to be said for really getting to know your section. Now, that thing could be that, by the time March hits, you know every damn opinion that's going to come out of every damn mouth before the hands are even raised, but the knowing people was, to my mind, generally a good thing.

Now, a lot of fallstarters say that summerstarters are clique-ish. This is mildly disingenuous for a couple of reasons. One, so are fallstarters. Every section has their groups, and all of them are accused, at some time or another, of being clique-y by someone else, as HM could probably well attest, given with whom he hangs. ;) Further, I just don't see the summerstarters as being particularly egregious, or even typifying, this grouping instinct. There are plenty of more than friendly summerstarters who hang with all sorts of folk from all sorts of diverse corners of the law school. There are some who stay more unto themselves. Every section has those people - I think summerstarters just suffer in reputation because they're already, to an extent, distanced from the school population at large.

speaking as one of those epeople who stay more to themselves, I'll back my fellow summerstarter up on this.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #962 on: August 07, 2008, 11:49:56 PM »
Two things. 

(1) Summer starting has been incredible.  I wouldn't have traded this summer for anything.

(2) I am gonna be really bummed when the fall starters get here.  (Just kidding!)

p.s.  If you guys want me to bring you some good Oakland County bagels, just say the word.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #963 on: August 08, 2008, 11:37:30 AM »
Can one apply to Michigan for summer start only, but still not be ED?

If you apply for the fall or summer start option, are they more likely to put me in the summer class?

(I've decided if I go to Michigan, I want it to be in the summer)

I applied regular decision, and I even put Fall or Summer for my choices, but I made it clear to them that I wanted to be a summer starter.  I had spoken to them several times on the phone, had visited, and had written about it in my "Why Michigan?", so they knew!

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

Gengiswump

• Sr. Citizen
  • "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: August 08, 2008, 02:09:40 PM »
Can one apply to Michigan for summer start only, but still not be ED?

If you apply for the fall or summer start option, are they more likely to put me in the summer class?

(I've decided if I go to Michigan, I want it to be in the summer)

I did what Ender did (either) but I never indicated my very strong preference for the summer (despite having one) and that's what I got; I do think there was a summer-only box, but I can't remember if it was inextricably tied to ED.  Usually if you want summer, they'll give you summer.

Paradiso, I thought you'd already applied?
Quote from: tj.
Write a PS on it, fuckstick.

Quote from: Miss P
Sometimes all you've got is a wacky hi-jink.

Quote from: Miss P
This is truly the ultimate in toolish douchebaggery.

Res nonnumquam ipsa loquitur, sed aliter aeternaliter queritur.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #965 on: August 09, 2008, 03:16:10 PM »
Dude, that bagel thing is the G*d's honest truth, for reals.  Croissants too.

U of M:  Bad for breakfast pastries.

I've made a terrible mistake.

IIRC, aren't you from another flyover state w/o decent bagels? It'll be just like home!

Yeah, but my whole reason for not attending my regional T4 was to get out of this breakfast pastry blackhole of a state. Is it too late to put an application in at somewhere with better pastries? Or am I stuck at Michigan??
_______
.|E|R|S.

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
  • I took her home after midnight...
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: August 09, 2008, 03:50:53 PM »
Dude, that bagel thing is the G*d's honest truth, for reals.  Croissants too.

U of M:  Bad for breakfast pastries.

I've made a terrible mistake.

IIRC, aren't you from another flyover state w/o decent bagels? It'll be just like home!

Yeah, but my whole reason for not attending my regional T4 was to get out of this breakfast pastry blackhole of a state. Is it too late to put an application in at somewhere with better pastries? Or am I stuck at Michigan??

I think you're screwed. Or become a frequent customer of newyorkkosherbagels.com.
The Victors:
Music to make love to your old lady by?

TimMitchell

« Reply #967 on: August 09, 2008, 06:12:14 PM »
Do Summer starters have a lower median LSAT/GPA?

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: August 09, 2008, 06:42:11 PM »
Do Summer starters have a lower median LSAT/GPA?

No... I think that was true years and years ago, but I don't think it's true anymore.  This is based on a lunchtime talk for women in law with a bunch of former summer starters (from the 70s or 80s) who made some comment about it and a prof who felt the need to clear it up that summer starters were not of a lower "quality" than others.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Mickey Ward

• Sr. Citizen
  • A kid from Lowell rises to the bell...
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: August 09, 2008, 06:46:53 PM »
Tag.