Law School Discussion

Michigan 1L Taking Questions

flyaway

• View Profile
Re: Michigan 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #590 on: February 09, 2007, 03:43:18 PM »
Dammit.  I'm not old.  Or a splitter.

I'm sort of old and sort of a splitter. :)

Alright Jolie, how will we know if it's you on the line?

« Reply #591 on: February 09, 2007, 05:14:31 PM »
Did any of you 1Ls go to the ASW and participate in the mock class?  How was that?  Are they going to mail us readings soon?  Were the 0Ls gunner douches trying to impress the profs?

Garry Shandling

• How's My Hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 09, 2007, 08:24:26 PM »
guner douches would be a great screen name

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 09, 2007, 08:27:40 PM »
Question: Wolverine Street Law. How many people participate? Are the work options pretty varied? Do you know any alums of the program, and if so, what did they think of it?

Pugnacious

• C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 09, 2007, 11:32:47 PM »
Good luck! OMG your pugs are so cute!!!

until they attack.

No, you see, that is when they are the cutest. Imagine your home being invaded by a dozen little pugs. That's a pugattack

Also, they are not my pugs, as I don't own a pug YET. I plan on getting one during law school!

Ah, like the Mitch Hedburg (RIP) koala infestation bit.

I had actually never heard of that, so I googled Mitch Hedberg Koalas and found it, and yes: exactly like that. Love it.

Luxor

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 10, 2007, 10:52:24 AM »
Did any of you 1Ls go to the ASW and participate in the mock class?  How was that?  Are they going to mail us readings soon?  Were the 0Ls gunner douches trying to impress the profs?

I went to the second ASW in late March.  We were given a packet at the beginning of the weekend with a single sheet of paper as assigned reading for the mock class.  The reading was something like three short paragraphs, and it set out a hypothetical situation where two neighbors in an apartment complex operated on completely opposite schedules.  Many torts ensued from the conflict, which we identified in class with Sherman Clark.  Someone was "cold-called," but Clark took it pretty easy on him or her, if memory serves me correctly.  The idea of the mock class is less about giving you a sense of what it feels like to sit in a law school class than to introduce you to the kinds of issues involved when thinking about the law.  I can't remember there being any 0L gunners...  ;)

Luxor

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 10, 2007, 10:54:36 AM »
Wolverine Street Law's URL: http://students.law.umich.edu/streetlaw/

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 10, 2007, 11:27:23 AM »
Question: Wolverine Street Law. How many people participate? Are the work options pretty varied? Do you know any alums of the program, and if so, what did they think of it?

I'm probably giving my identity away by writing this post, but so be it.  I'll preface what I have to write about Street Law by saying that my biggest disappointment concerning Michigan Law has been a general lack of interest in community service.  I don't mean to suggest that there are limited service opportunities.  We have several organizations (Street Law, the Family Law Project, Food Stamp Advocacy, etc...) that send people out to do service work for the community on a weekly basis.  Groups like APALSA (the Asian-Pacific American students group) and WLSA (Women Law Students) also seem to actively pursue service opportunities.  However, the size of the community service population at MLS is relatively small, and even those who are involved with service (and I'm included in this group) find it difficult to give more than two hours/week of their time.  That's probably not at all atypical for a T14 law school, but, after spending all of last year doing service work, it's difficult for me to accept that I can't give more of my time to helping people out. 

Anyways, here's the lowdown on Wolverine Street Law.  There are five service sites: 1) Bryant Afterschool Program (1st-12th grade), 2) Peace Neighborhood Afterschool Program (3rd-6th, I think), 3) University Living (home for assisted living), 4) a juvenile detention center, and 5) a prison where students can inform prisoners about to re-enter society about how to protect their rights and how to use the law to re-establish a life.  My work has been entirely concentrated at the Bryant Center, so I don't know much about the other site, but my impression has been that only the first 4 sites have been able to get off the ground this year.  This is just an estimate, but I'm guessing that there are around 30 people involved with WSL on a semi-regular+ basis.  At Bryant, we've struggled to get the program off the ground, since we've had to deal with some unexpected issues, but we have high hopes for this semester.  Considering that the kids at the Center tend to be on the younger side of the range, we often ditch our plans to teach them about the law and instead try to talk about concepts that will contribute to a future understanding of the law.  For example, we talked about diversity on Thursday, with the hope of easing the kids towards a discussion about affirmative action by the end of the semester (and perhaps even a mock trial).

To be honest, I don't have much interest in teaching the kids about the law.  I do it mainly because I enjoy working with kids, and because it became obvious from the start that the kids were really happy to have us around.  Unfortunately, I don't really know what the other sites have been up to.  I can tell you, however, that the University Living group has been quite the success this year.  The seniors are feisty, curious, and intensely interested in the personal lives of volunteers  ;)

If you're interested in more specifics, I'd be happy to PM you, or to answer questions during either ASW.

Good information! Thanks very much!

I'm somewhat disappointed to hear that you think participation/interest in community service is low, and especially sorry to hear that WSL's convict re-integration group is "on the rocks", so to speak. It's something I would be interested  in doing.

Overall, Michigan's community service offerings are very attractive to me (food stamps/government benefits advocacy, family law/child advocacy/DV victim advocacy, and WSL in particular.) I'm sympathetic with the limited time 1Ls can spare for community service, but hopefully as a 2L and 3L I could devote enough time for substantial participtation in at least one or two of the above.

As for the ASW, I definitely hope to see you there... it's contingent on Michigan's ACCEPTING me, first. It's my dream school, so here's to hope...

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 10, 2007, 11:48:34 AM »
Oh, jeebus... I just went to DECISION online. Pray for me...

Luxor

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 10, 2007, 12:21:12 PM »
Oh, jeebus... I just went to DECISION online. Pray for me...

Good luck!