Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan 1L Taking Questions  (Read 74532 times)

smiley

Re: Michigan 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #320 on: December 30, 2006, 01:21:46 PM »

Hey smiley, good luck in Chicago.  Say hi to defeatist and the others!  I have to go study now.  :(   
[/quote]

Hey, no problem Jolie! I'm so glad everything worked out okay and that this little anecdote is proof of how we're truly good people out here (as you like to say).

Chicago was great! Soooo much fun. Although I was told by a few people to get the hell off LSD.

Do you know who Luxor is? Do you need a hint? Here's one: "Pacey!"

Reach

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 30, 2006, 02:26:06 PM »
I don't think anyone else is interested, but I answered my own question (from much earlier):  sledding opportunities at Michigan seem ample.  The city park department, apparently, even publishes a few places it recommends for it. 

http://www.arborweb.com/cg/t0403.html

Ann Arbor has great sledding hills. The city parks department recommends these sites: Buhr Park, Burns Park, Huron Hills Golf Course, Leslie Park, Leslie Park Golf Course, and Veterans Memorial Park (golf greens and tees are off limits). All sites are unsupervised. Rolling Hills County Park (4849676) also offers sledding, and rents toboggans and sled tubes. Sledding is prohibited in the U-M Nichols Arboretum.

Someone mentioned in another thread that Michigan offers cheap rooms to those who visit during their preview weekends.  Does anyone know if that will hold true this year also?  I would check the admitted student website, but the information isn't there yet.

nowitzski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 31, 2006, 03:04:56 PM »
I don't think anyone else is interested, but I answered my own question (from much earlier):  sledding opportunities at Michigan seem ample.  The city park department, apparently, even publishes a few places it recommends for it. 

http://www.arborweb.com/cg/t0403.html

Ann Arbor has great sledding hills. The city parks department recommends these sites: Buhr Park, Burns Park, Huron Hills Golf Course, Leslie Park, Leslie Park Golf Course, and Veterans Memorial Park (golf greens and tees are off limits). All sites are unsupervised. Rolling Hills County Park (4849676) also offers sledding, and rents toboggans and sled tubes. Sledding is prohibited in the U-M Nichols Arboretum.

Someone mentioned in another thread that Michigan offers cheap rooms to those who visit during their preview weekends.  Does anyone know if that will hold true this year also?  I would check the admitted student website, but the information isn't there yet.

they should probably add sledding capacity to the USNWR ranking formula.  Also coolness of fight song.

1LCorvo

• 25,000,754 Ways to Break A Person's Neck S.Segal
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #323 on: December 31, 2006, 03:58:05 PM »

What is the summer usually like for students after the first year?

With the number 1 pick in the NBA draft, the Portland Trailblazers select: Greg Oden!

(the Trailblazers have been blessed from God)

junetesttaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 31, 2006, 11:06:27 PM »
I think Vapid works more hours than the rest of us Michigan LSDers on average, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's working more/less.  A great deal of how much time you spend working is reading speed from what I can tell.  Some people read quickly and feel they spot what they need and others prefer to be more diligent and detailed.  While I love Michigan there are lots of things about law school that I find less than appealing, and reading for contracts is high on that list.  So anyway, I tend to try to read as fast as possible.  That being said, I'm more likely to be behind than some because I also just procrastinate often.  I think Vapid's estimation of work time might be high, but not very high.  I just don't always get it all done.  Other people spend WAY more time than Vapid alluded to, just so y'all know.  Oh, and I also don't use a laptop in class, never did and love it.  In my section there is only one other person not using a laptop.  I think I can pay attention better without typing so much, and I like leaving my computer at home sometimes.  Anyway, this week I'll hunker down for my open memo and the start of the moot court problem I'm doing.  So it comes and goes I suppose.

It really depends.  If you feel that you've already grasped the material after 2 hours, you are just as fine as people who grasp it after 4 hours.   The important thing is not how many hours you put in, but it is how efficient your study is.
The University of Michigan Law School Class of 2009

Kencade

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self tar up only for ASW purposes
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 01, 2007, 08:49:06 PM »
Vapid - I am going to have to ask you several questions about your experience living in family housing, but I don't want to waste your time before I get accepted/rejected.  If I do get accepted, though, would it be OK if I PM you to ask you some questions about Northwood?  Or I could post my questions here if others are interested. 

I'd be happy to answer Northwood questions, even before you get accepted if you want.

Happy New Year!

Ok, just a couple of questions.  Do you live in one of the townhouses?  How is the heating system?  Are you able to heat both floors easily or is it uneven and inefficient?  Also, are the townhouses quality construction or do they have paper-thin walls where you hear your neighbor's television and stuff like that?  Also, how have you done with not having a dishwasher?  I think that might be a tough adjustment for me.  :)  It seems like the price can't be beat, though, especially with the heat and electricity being included in the rent. How many closets do the townhouses have?  Its difficult to determine from the virtual tour.  Is there a coat closet and a linen closet or just one closet downstairs?  Any closets or storage upstairs other than the closets in the bedrooms? Any other thoughts or opinions about the family housing would be greatly appreciated.  I have two kids so would be looking at getting a 3 bedroom townhouse.  Thanks!!

Pugnacious

• Sr. Citizen
  • C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 03, 2007, 02:38:51 AM »
If someone has already asked this, I am sorry but it's a simple question: which cell phone providers get the best coverage? I am specifically interested in Cingular or Verizon. Thanks!!
My cycle is officially over. Boalt Law 2010!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pugattack

Reach

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 03, 2007, 12:40:07 PM »
Any Michigan 1Ls want to do a project like demingh did here:  http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,79457.0.html

Although I will definitely be visiting the campus this March, it might be really nice to see some of the sights beforehand.  I can understand if the last thing any of you want to do after finals is walk around campus snapping photos like a tourist, but here's to hoping.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #328 on: January 03, 2007, 12:45:46 PM »
Here's a link from a slideshow someone did last year.  I apologize - I can't credit the photos, as I don't remember who did this, but I've had it bookmarked ever since. 

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=16ptrn8l.ar67lu6x&Uy=ed2d2c&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

These photos have the added bonus of NOT having been taken in January.  ;)
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

littlev

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 03, 2007, 01:12:55 PM »
Happy New Year, everyone!  I have Cingular, and I haven't had any problems.  Plus, they give a discount to U-M students, which is nice :)  I lived in Northwood for a year, and they're not kidding about the no pets policy!  I hid two kittens in my apartment for a couple of months, but then someone reported them (how mean!), so they made me move out.  My current apartment says no pets allowed in the lease, but the management company knows I have cats and don't care.  Northwood is definitely not as accomodating!