Law School Discussion

Michigan 1L Taking Questions

Gengiswump

• "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #990 on: August 10, 2008, 09:41:18 PM »
Not that I've seen.  Meijer is open 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, and I've bought liquor there at all hours.

Umm, not that I drink a lot.  Or anything.

GCoop.

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: August 10, 2008, 10:15:33 PM »
does michigan have special liquor laws?  not buying on sundays and such?

You can buy on sunday's and you can buy pretty late, but I think they have to close the aisles down in 24 hours stores from 2am until 8am or 9am ... something like that.

You can also have beer delivered.

ETA:  No sales between 2 am and 7 am Mon - Sat, no selling until Noon on Sundays.  Gotta go to church before you start boozing.

Gengiswump

• "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: August 10, 2008, 10:25:24 PM »
Whoops - apparently not at all hours.  Thanks GCoop. - you probably just saved me a really late post-carousing liquor run that would've ended in disaster.

GCoop.

• View Profile
« Reply #993 on: August 10, 2008, 10:53:22 PM »
Whoops - apparently not at all hours.  Thanks GCoop. - you probably just saved me a really late post-carousing liquor run that would've ended in disaster.

Hahahaha.  Yeah, it never came up for me this year.  But it's bound to happen one day.

« Reply #994 on: August 11, 2008, 06:52:34 AM »
no more hurrying to buy beer before the liquor stores close at 9!  wahoo!

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #995 on: August 11, 2008, 09:35:24 AM »
no more hurrying to buy beer before the liquor stores close at 9!  wahoo!

9?! Where did you go to school, BYU? I was just about to comment that the liquor stores in my hometown close at 11. 9 is simply absurd.

« Reply #996 on: August 13, 2008, 09:27:03 PM »
does anybody have any helpful hints for someone in love with U of M whose numbers made the situation bleak (3.9/165)? I'm applying ED, and definitley writing all the essays, but if anyone has any other hints, I'd be all ears.

Also, I can unfortunately confirm from personal experience that liquor stores in Milwaukee can't sell after nine. lame.

« Reply #997 on: August 14, 2008, 01:28:14 PM »
does anybody have any helpful hints for someone in love with U of M whose numbers made the situation bleak (3.9/165)? I'm applying ED, and definitley writing all the essays, but if anyone has any other hints, I'd be all ears.

Also, I can unfortunately confirm from personal experience that liquor stores in Milwaukee can't sell after nine. lame.

First, I disagree that those numbers make the situation bleak.  Your GPA is great, and your LSAT is just below median.  Have you visited?  How much have you spoken with the Admissions Office?  If you haven't yet come for a visit, PM me and set something up.  You need to sell yourself to the admissions people, and doing it in person is much easier than through more impersonal methods. 

Either way, PM me.  We should talk about things you can do if you're serious about coming here.  Good luck!

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #998 on: August 14, 2008, 06:24:28 PM »
Ditto to what Ender said.  Also, Dean Z. eats it up when someone (qualified) is genuinely gaga over Michigan.  It means you've already tasted the Kool Aid that the rest of us have permanently hooked up to our IVs.  :D  Don't try to gussy up the tone of your Why Mich essay feel free to let your whole "I'm dreaming about Michigan Law" thing hang out. 

« Reply #999 on: August 14, 2008, 06:29:28 PM »
Don't try to gussy up the tone of your Why Mich essay feel free to let your whole "I'm dreaming about Michigan Law" thing hang out. 

titcr

This is what I did and now I am two weeks from 1L.  I explicitly said Mich was my top choice in the essay.  I was nervous about opening up like that at the time but it worked.  I was a splitter in the opposite direction though, higher lsat lower gpa.  Either way good luck!  After riding out last year`s cycle lurking these boards it definitely seems like Mich tries to get well rounded people so all hope is not lost.