Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Another Canadian Seeking Advice  (Read 1244 times)

ry

• View Profile
Another Canadian Seeking Advice
« on: October 21, 2006, 11:18:53 AM »
I am in my third year. Mature Student.
I have a 3.7 GPA (no drops)
I have a 160 LSAT
Lots of unrelated work experience and pretty crappy soft factors.  Basically, I took 8 years off after high school to go snowboarding, so I have to figure out how to spin that into something good. ;)

I want to go to law school next year (before finishing ugrad).  I'm willing to go anywhere west of Manitoba.

Do I have a chance, or should I finish my ugrad and start volunteering somewhere?
Thanks so much for your help.   :)

Hewsinator

• View Profile
Re: Another Canadian Seeking Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 02:04:05 AM »
Just looking at the charts and such I think you stand a great chance. As a mature student, it is supposed to be easier to get in (per se) from what I gather. Those marks let you get into alot of places as a regular applicant. At least U of A.

Can a mature applicant apply as a regular applicant?

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 04:52:27 PM »
I'd say you have a pretty good shot everywhere but U of T and UBC.  Even McGill is a choice for you if you have any French background -- they don't put any emphasis on the LSAT.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

rizz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up baby I know it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 02:14:56 PM »
1. I know some one who got into UBC in the regular catagory with identical stats, off the waitlist, however. To qualify in the discretionary catagory in UBC you have to be over 30 as far as I know. And I would not count on getting in without a B.A.

2. Mcgill does take you LSAT score into consideration. However soft factors weight heavily into the application so it is very hard to predict acceptances/denials there.

http://www.canlawstats.mylawsite.net/

That might be helpful for you. You are basically in anywhere in the west and would probably be waitlisted at UBC.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 03:19:22 PM »
2. Mcgill does take you LSAT score into consideration. However soft factors weight heavily into the application so it is very hard to predict acceptances/denials there.

Dude, don't make me teach you what I had to learn the hard way.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 06:46:32 PM »

http://www.canlawstats.mylawsite.net/

That might be helpful for you. You are basically in anywhere in the west and would probably be waitlisted at UBC.

I'd say you have a pretty good shot everywhere but U of T and UBC.  Even McGill is a choice for you if you have any French background -- they don't put any emphasis on the LSAT.

I think the official line from their website is: If you took it, you must show them. If you took and don't tell them, they will hold it against you. But the main thing is strong academics, regardless of LSAT, and DIVERSITY.
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.