Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Red, please explain  (Read 1665 times)

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
  • where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
Re: Red, please explain
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2006, 02:33:14 PM »
Red., you give the most helpful information. Thanks.

You want to be at or above the 25th percentile at a minimum. Below that are people admitted for a host of other reasons -- fancy ECs, diversity, PhDs, Nobel Prizes, etc. So, whether you retake is up to you, but if I were above 25th percentile, I'd be cool with it.

How many Nobel Laureates are students at YLS?

Seriously though, YLS is one of the schools I'm considering attending next year and I was wondering what the students there consider impressive soft factors.  I mean, I know every student there had probably done something at least marginally impressive to be there (even if it's just high gpa/lsat) but there are probably certain former jobs, scholarships, etc. that are generally more impressive amongst the YLS student population.  Have you gotten a feel for what these are?

Read Koh's welcoming address to 1Ls. It's basically the same every year and the only elements of it that change (and, even then, only slightly) are the specifics about that entering class.
Here's one for the '07 class
http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/KohWelcomeAddress.pdf

You can search for the address for other incoming classes at the YLS website. Strip it of its obvious puffery, and I think you'll see that its as much about variety and oddity than real superstar achievement.
this guy
------------------------------
I say that good painters imitated nature; but that bad ones vomited it.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)

VB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2006, 02:39:26 PM »
Have you felt a lot of competition at YLS for things like top clerkships?  Do you think it's still a meritocracy despite the fact that there are no rankings?  For example, does your ability to network with professors matter just as much as your actual level of talent?

At YLS there are more subtle methods of evaluation. Relationships with professors come into play - you need them to come and go to bat for you when its time to write a recommendation. There is ample opportunity to display your intellectual talent even in the first semester through a series of writing assignments. Subsequent to the first year, you can get Hs to show a mastery of the material, which helps in clerkship applications. Then there are the ways that you make an impact on the YLS community through your involvement in out of classroom issues - so you want to develop a good reputation and maintain that reputation. I think your reputation in school helps or hurts you when its time to get the big time clerkships or academic fellowships.

So if you want to be a supreme court clerk, you know that you're going to have to work pretty hard. On the other hand, if you want a big law job straight out, I hear that its just a matter of having a decent personality and YLS on your resume.

so if you are a person who does very well on exams but is unassuming in class and may even come off as a slacker to the professors, would it be a better idea to go harvard than yale?

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2006, 02:40:23 PM »
During his welcome address, Dean Koh went through a long list breaking down the composition of our class. There are dancers, basketball enthusiasts, Rhodes Scholars and I think a rabbi. Then he said that each one of us would be thinking the exact same thing at that moment - What the hell am I doing here?

That is so comforting to hear.

On your first day, all that stuff goes right out the window. You DEFINITELY do not walk around reciting everything you've done before you got here. And if you do, well you're kind of a jerk. People are very modest and usually unwilling to talk extensively about what they did before they got here. Instead, there's a underlying respect for your classmates. No one really cares what you did before you got here -- they care about understanding what the heck our professor was talking about in Torts. They care about what we're going to do now. What clinics you're interested in, whether to sign up for a journal.

That simply spells quality. Definitely sounds like there is a reason why they ended up where they did..

The one thing I have noticed, however, is that most of my classmates are very passionate about something outside of school and it's very obvious.

YAY!! Yale sounds way too cool. Hmmm. Please don't make it sound sooooo tempting..
this guy

VB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2006, 02:44:42 PM »
YAY!! Yale sounds way too cool. Hmmm. Please don't make it sound sooooo tempting..

stradgirl, are you considering Yale?  What other schools are you thinking about?

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2006, 03:39:41 PM »

stradgirl, are you considering Yale?  What other schools are you thinking about?

the "top 10" American schools plus four Canadian schools:

Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
NYU
U Chicago
Duke
U Penn
U Mich
Boalt

U Toronto
York U (Osgoode)
U Ottawa
McGill the Funny Duck!

Not in any real order other than what popped into my mind first. Perhaps that is an indicator of my subconscious desire but perhaps not! :P
this guy

redemption

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2006, 04:08:27 PM »
Subconscious derires are the best kind.

VB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2006, 05:20:29 PM »
Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
NYU
U Chicago
Duke
U Penn
U Mich
Boalt

U Toronto
York U (Osgoode)
U Ottawa
McGill the Funny Duck!

Why the canadian schools?  I'm guessing you're canadian.  And why is McGill "the Funny Duck"?

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2006, 10:06:46 PM »
Why the canadian schools?  I'm guessing you're canadian.  And why is McGill "the Funny Duck"?

Yes I am Canadian and my family lives in Toronto. McGill is the funny duck because they don't require and LSAT score but require proficiency in French for studying Civil Code of Quebec as well as Common Law.
this guy

VB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2006, 02:49:23 AM »

Yes I am Canadian and my family lives in Toronto. McGill is the funny duck because they don't require and LSAT score but require proficiency in French for studying Civil Code of Quebec as well as Common Law.

So would you prefer to stay in Canada?  Did you do your undergrad in Canada, and how does the law degree there compare to a US degree?  Like could you sit for a bar exam in the US with a Canadian degree? 

Right now I'm leaning toward YLS.  Have to admit though that I don't think I know enough about it yet and am therefore on this site trying to glean some information.  Would like to visit YLS, HLS, and SLS to help me to decide but it is doubtful that I will even get the chance to visit one.

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2006, 10:59:40 AM »
Our conversation would better serve a purpose on the Canadian board.. I think I am going to copy the whole thing and post it there. Anyhow, visit:

http://www.law.utoronto.ca/prosp_stdn_content.asp?itemPath=3/6/15/6/0&contentId=983&cType=webpages#J.D.

Canadian law schools are not ABA approved, and the only states that count a Canadian law degree as an equivalent to an American law degree are New York and Massachusetts. And it also says: "Another popular destination for our graduates is California, but to be eligible to write the California Bar, one must first be called to the Bar of a Canadian province, or another American state such as New York."

If you are interested in academia, though, it's a little different story. Lots of Toronto Law graduates go onto teach at American law schools. To give you an idea:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/directory/facdir.php?id=505
http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/directory/facdir.php?id=691
http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/directory/facdir.php?id=84
http://www.law.upenn.edu/cf/faculty/rdaniels/

Yeah. Well okay. They all studied at American schools after they got their Canadian degree(s) - but even then, it tells you that it's pretty well acknowledged down the border.

I went to college in the states. And if you get into YLS of course you should choose them over any Canadian law school, unless you can't afford it or can't afford to be away from your family etc. But if you want to be a "Bay Street" lawyer and make lots of Canadian $$$ or work with the Canadian government, then going to U Toronto is MORE than enough....

hope that helps. breakfast!!!!!
this guy