Law School Discussion

reapplying same year?

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
reapplying same year?
« on: October 20, 2006, 06:54:47 PM »
reapplying same year?

Well, I went from averaging 167 on the practice LSAT with a 174 high and 164 low to a 161 on the real deal.  :-\

GPA is a 3.67.

My schools were cornell and georgetown. Now, my former safety is now no certainty: CU boulder. According to the LSAC calc, I have a 50% chance there with my stats. If I apply now and am rejected come december, can I apply again in january with the higher score? Is there a general policy with that. Should I apply now with notice that I will retaking in december. I KNOW I can get at least a 170 if things go my way. I just dont want to shut myself out by applying later.

Re: reapplying same year?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 11:32:59 PM »
I have the same damn question!!!  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 01:47:27 AM »
Aw, we're nearly identical failure twins (right down to Cornell & Georgetown; those were my reaches-but-still-possibles)

Anyway, you can only apply once per cycle.  You can submit an app with the notice that you are taking the Dec. LSAT, though.  Schools should wait for your next score (since your GPA is high enough they wouldn't reject you outright based on that alone.)

Bouzie1982

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 02:00:59 PM »
HA! TOTALLY SAME BOAT....and I think the boat is sinking.

Cornell, Gtwon, and NWestern were my former targets... (exact same GPA as you)

Was averaging about 175 on preptests.  Pulled off a 163, lowest number I've seen in a long time.  CU-Boulder along with DU, U San Diego, IU-BLomington,and U WIsc were my former safety schools and now appear to be the best schools I have a shot at (THat said I really would not mind going to most of these schoolsat all).  My plan is to def retake in December--applying late cant hurt more than my lacklucker LSAT.

Part of my truly feels like this test is a fluke.  I got nearly every question right but BLEW HARDCORE the Basiins of influence passage (ALL QUESTIONS WRONG on basins, all questions right for the rest of RC)  and also BLEW the graduates game...yah I know everyone is saying it wasnt hard, for some reason it just didnt click.

I feel like theres a decent chance that if I retake I may have better luck. 

Anyway, looks like we have more to lose by not retaking than just applying with these scores. 

Who knew?

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 03:08:35 PM »
Part of my truly feels like this test is a fluke.  I got nearly every question right but BLEW HARDCORE the Basiins of influence passage (ALL QUESTIONS WRONG on basins, all questions right for the rest of RC)  and also BLEW the graduates game...yah I know everyone is saying it wasnt hard, for some reason it just didnt click.

I feel like theres a decent chance that if I retake I may have better luck. 

Anyway, looks like we have more to lose by not retaking than just applying with these scores. 

Who knew?

I honestly don't think this test was harder, but it was different and I wasn't expecting the differences.  I've taken a lot of practices and never come across a passage like that basins of influence one plus the games were atypical, especially including questions referring to events that are not included anywhere in the rules.  It's irritating because they weren't hard games, but not having seen ones like them before I wasn't able to make the connections quickly enough.

At any rate, I think this cycle is going to see a lot more later apps than previous cycles because retaking has more of an advantage now.  (But likewise I suppose LSATs are going to climb, as well, because they're no longer averaged.)  I'm glad I'm not the only one in this sinking boat, though; the only thing that reassured me this morning was going through my entire list of MA/PhD programs I'd considered the past few years and remembering why each one was not a better choice.