Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Shingles  (Read 2377 times)

Elote14

• View Profile
Shingles
« on: October 20, 2006, 01:34:29 AM »
Hi I'm new ... I stumbled across this discussion board today and thought this thread was funny.

So I took the 9/30 LSAT ... despite coming down with Shingles all over my left leg and lower back the week before the LSAT. Yes, Shingles, the very painful rash that mainly older people get (I'm 26). However, my Shingles outbreak was due to ... stress. If you don't know, and which I am now imtimately familiar with, Shingles is VERY VERY PAINFUL! A cross between a burning/being stabbed sensation I'd say.

So I debated postponing the exam, but did not want to wait until December to take it because I want to get my apps in early dammit! So, after being out from work the entire week (9/25 to 9/29) due to the intense pain and being on pain meds, plus not being able to sit, walk or lay down normally, I dragged my ass out of bed on Saturday, threw on really big sweats and took the exam. I think it went okay, despite being uncomfortable, but I guess I'll find out in a little while (I'm trying really hard to be positive). I still can't believe I a). got Shingles right before the stupid test and b). actually took it. I was just so sick of the exam - thinking about it, studying, practicing, stressing and getting sick over it (the Shingles).

Hopefully, ten years from now, when I am an actual lawyer, I will laugh about this ... right now, not so much, esp. when my scars are still healing. Oh well, we'll see!

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
Re: Shingles
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 11:30:06 AM »
Hi I'm new ... I stumbled across this discussion board today and thought this thread was funny.

So I took the 9/30 LSAT ... despite coming down with Shingles all over my left leg and lower back the week before the LSAT. Yes, Shingles, the very painful rash that mainly older people get (I'm 26). However, my Shingles outbreak was due to ... stress. If you don't know, and which I am now imtimately familiar with, Shingles is VERY VERY PAINFUL! A cross between a burning/being stabbed sensation I'd say.

So I debated postponing the exam, but did not want to wait until December to take it because I want to get my apps in early dammit! So, after being out from work the entire week (9/25 to 9/29) due to the intense pain and being on pain meds, plus not being able to sit, walk or lay down normally, I dragged my ass out of bed on Saturday, threw on really big sweats and took the exam. I think it went okay, despite being uncomfortable, but I guess I'll find out in a little while (I'm trying really hard to be positive). I still can't believe I a). got Shingles right before the stupid test and b). actually took it. I was just so sick of the exam - thinking about it, studying, practicing, stressing and getting sick over it (the Shingles).

Hopefully, ten years from now, when I am an actual lawyer, I will laugh about this ... right now, not so much, esp. when my scars are still healing. Oh well, we'll see!

I had shingles when I was 17, actually, and had to take the SAT with them. They went around half of my chest around around to half my back in some sort of weird ring o' pain. Very strange. But I feel your pain. If it makes you feel better, I did well on the SAT.

theunderdog

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 09:38:26 AM »
My deepest condolences to you. Several months ago I got the shingles too (mind you I'm 21). I took 3 exams in the span of 5 days. Then I noticed a set of what I thought were pimples on my hip. But then it spread and so I decided to get it checked by the doctor. It was excruciating painful. I am all well now and I do have scars to show for myself like yourself. I have not taken the LSAT yet. I will be taking it this December. Don't despair. Every time I think about it, I laugh and it reminds me that I'm trying my best. And that's all that you can really do. Good luck to you.

marroxus

• WHY did I ever decide I want to go to law school?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - marroxus
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 06:48:55 PM »
I can't believe this!  I also had shingles around the time I took the LSAT the first time.  Man, that stupid test is stressful!
Delicious! (Accepted): Houston, Baylor
Burned (Rejected):  Texas
Bubbling (Waitlist/Deferral):  SMU, WashU
In the Oven:  American

hhhheey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 08:04:21 PM »
Me too I got them when i was 18 and very very stressed out in high school.