Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Working for The Man  (Read 565 times)

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
Working for The Man
« on: August 26, 2004, 01:10:50 PM »
OK, so we all want to go into law.  That's a given or we probably wouldn't be here.

That out of the way, I hear people talking all the time in hushed, reverential whispers about this entity called BIGLAW (and it's always capitalized just like that).  It seems like everyone's dream job is to make tons of money working for the man.  While I might not be opposed to starting out in such a circumstance to gain experience, I'm sure that over time I'd want to get out and pursue other things.

Am I the only one not entirely thrilled with the concept of BIGLAW and working for the man?  Just wondering what you all plan to go into, and how many BIGLAW fanatics there really are out there.

ZAP

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
Re: Working for The Man
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 01:12:28 PM »
Not me.  My dream is solo practice.  Now if I have to work for a man a few years first I'll plug through it.
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

dancer3

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 01:16:31 PM »
I don't want to do the BIGLAW thing for very long.  I just want to gain some experience, and pay off some of my undergrad, grad, and law school debt.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 01:20:39 PM »
I would like to get into BIGLAW for a few years primarily to pay off debt.  You can also gain a lot of experience and have a whole firm full of talented, experience lawyers to learn from. There are restrictions though.  I don't want to work in the slavedriver type firm.  Burning out at 30 is not my idea of a good career choice.  I'd like to find a more "life oriented" firm, like the one I work for now.  And I definitely want to get out as soon as my debt is paid down.  It's not what I want to do with my life.  I don't know if I want my own practice, or if I'd just like to join a smaller one.  I'll just see where life leads me.

BLAKEAGGIE98

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - BlakeAggie98
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 01:32:06 PM »
Solo right away. I have worked for the man for 5 years and I am tired of him. I will take the risk right away to have the opportunity to work for myself. Screw BIGLAW and his momma!
South Texas College of Law here I come!

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 02:35:24 PM »
I'd like to follow your career and see how this goes, because this is interesting to me.  It seems to me that in order to make it on your own right off the bat you'd need a ton of friends who would be your clients and/or other friends in different positions who would send clients your way.  Do you have a network already that will help you get off the ground?

It seems to me the one benefit of working for someone else for a few years is a guaranteed high salary, experience, and all the contacts you'll make along the way.  For me it would be all about developing a reputation.  An independent private practice right off the bat would be nice, but I'm not really sure how I could swing that...

ZAP

Solo right away. I have worked for the man for 5 years and I am tired of him. I will take the risk right away to have the opportunity to work for myself. Screw BIGLAW and his momma!

BLAKEAGGIE98

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 02:55:01 PM »
I do have a friend who is going to help me. He is a bankruptcy atty. Started out on his own right away and has been practicing for about 4 years now. But if you think about it it is just like any other business. You are providing a service. I plan on taking out small business loans keeping my overhead low in the beginning and sinking most of my working captiol into advertising. How would a network of freinds help? Maybe they could give me money or buy me beer when I am initially up to my eyes in debt but other than that I really don't think they would be all that beneficial. Most people who file bankrupty or divorce just go to the yellow pages or respond to advertising just like they would for any other service that they don't frequently use. There really is alot of money out there for atty's who are willing to help JoBob save his trailer and then help Suzie take it from him when they get divorced. And on top of that you get repeat from JoBob who will likely get a couple of DWI's while he tries to drink his sorrows away

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 03:00:42 PM »
BA as a guy who knows many solo & small practice lawyers I just want to commend you on choosing this path.  My friends in the business tell me the most important thing is networking with other lawyers.  Cases are referred back and forth all the time.  One guy tells me referrals make up almost 60% of his business.
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

BLAKEAGGIE98

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 03:07:19 PM »
You are correct about the referrals. And I do have quite a few atty friends in Houston. But suprisingly the one's who are doing the best have the smallest % of busisnes from referrals. I have one freind practicing family law (who is not such a good business person) and he is running his practice on about 90% referrals. He is starving right now. You gotta make it happen for yourself and count on referrals only to be used for the Harley Davidson fund!

AV8R

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 03:21:30 PM »
Working solo is my goal as well.  Since so many want to go solo, why does everyone try to kill themselves getting into a top of the line law school?  If solo is your goal, won't any ol' ABA law degree do the job?