Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOYOLA  (Read 37884 times)

Demigoddess

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legal Posh
    • View Profile
Re: LOYOLA
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2007, 03:15:38 PM »
I'm thinking about hollywood too, I found an amazing place brand spanking new, with washer and dryer in apartment etc, thast is literally across the street from the mtro station. the metro is couple blocks from campus and loyola has a shuttle that will come pick you up from the sation and bring you to campus, just a though for some of you to consider.

Yeah, I have heard about this. If I had a job where I didn't have to be at the client all the time (hence drive around everywhere), I would consider living next to a metro station, and then just take the train to school. But alas a quick job change occurs in the next couple months, I don't see that happening. Also, I have heard that even if you take the train to school and work (should you go to school part-time), it's hard getting around without a car for other things like groceries, etc.. But that's just what I heard. I could be wrong.
"Bend & SNAP!" (Attending) = Loyola-LA
"What? Like it's hard?" (Accepted) = UMiami,U of San Diego,SMU-Dedman,Santa Clara U,Suffolk, SLU,Loyola-Chicago,Loyola-LA
"Apparently you get a really bad rash on your..."(R)=
"She's not completely unfortunate looking" (WL) = American U,USF

losangles18

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2007, 02:38:58 AM »
I am pretty set on going here in the fall, but is watts pretty bad? Also i have a dog- Does anyone know a good area near campus that is also good for dogs that is closer to the beach?... Also anyone wanna room with me(female, 24) and my yellow lab?

dafatha00

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2007, 09:42:10 AM »
I think I'll be living in Pasadena with my boyfriend who will be working on a PhD at Caltech. I have yet to visit...but he said the commute was short.  I doubt that Pasadena will be very exciting, but it does look beautiful.

I think (er, I haven't actually beeen to LA) that Marina Del Rey would be nice since it's near the main campus, and Hollywood might be nice because there is more going on there, it seems more exciting. Of course, excitement and law school aren't probably going to go together too well, but at least you can observe the other people having social lives and be jealous.

My only concern living in Pasadena is that I don't know anyone other than my boyfriend in LA, and I hope that there are enough events planned at Loyola that I can meet people to socialize, study with and all...even though we've been dating four years and are quite serious I think I'll go a bit crazy unless I make some friends.

I also got waitlisted at Maryland :)

The commute time from Pasadena to Loyola largely depends on what time your classes start at. During my first year at Loyola, I had 8am classes on M and W, and it would take about 45 minutes to get from my place to school (110S traffic was pretty bad). Traffic usually picks up around 9:30 to 10. The good thing is that the commute home on the 110N is quick once you get past the 5 freeway.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2007, 12:11:39 PM »
I am pretty set on going here in the fall, but is watts pretty bad? Also i have a dog- Does anyone know a good area near campus that is also good for dogs that is closer to the beach?... Also anyone wanna room with me(female, 24) and my yellow lab?

Do you mean Watts or the neighborhood around Loyola?
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

Imelda Marcos

• Sr. Citizen
  • If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2007, 01:43:37 PM »
I'm thinking about hollywood too, I found an amazing place brand spanking new, with washer and dryer in apartment etc, thast is literally across the street from the mtro station. the metro is couple blocks from campus and loyola has a shuttle that will come pick you up from the sation and bring you to campus, just a though for some of you to consider.

Yeah, I have heard about this. If I had a job where I didn't have to be at the client all the time (hence drive around everywhere), I would consider living next to a metro station, and then just take the train to school. But alas a quick job change occurs in the next couple months, I don't see that happening. Also, I have heard that even if you take the train to school and work (should you go to school part-time), it's hard getting around without a car for other things like groceries, etc.. But that's just what I heard. I could be wrong.

Sorry for the delayed response, I have been out of town.  Yes you definitely need a car in LA, I am defintiely keeping mine, but for school you can leave it home, walk across the street to the metro station and take it to school, and back.  For home use you would definitely want to drive around.
It's Official Loyola class of 2010!!

WL still pending, fingers crossed it would make for a much easier decision!

undecided07

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2007, 10:24:25 PM »

Sorry for the delayed response, I have been out of town.  Yes you definitely need a car in LA, I am defintiely keeping mine, but for school you can leave it home, walk across the street to the metro station and take it to school, and back.  For home use you would definitely want to drive around.

Imelda, I love that you pointed out the metro/shuttle thing.  That was one of the draws of Hollywood for me!  Even though I'm planning on getting myself a banging convertible (I've worked about 80 hour weeks, so the car is going to be a treat to me), its great to know there are alternate means to get to school in case something happens... like a car jacking or more likely me getting into a fender bender with an SUV.  Oh LA traffic!  I would want a car anyway for those weekend trips to San Diego, Santa Barbara and Las Vegas.  Yes, I do realize that I am going to be going to school and studying like a nut job... but its great to have a bit of a life outside of that.  Study hard, party hard.

In terms of meeting other people, I'm sure it won't be an issue.  Considering orientation, long hours at the library, and classes I would hate to think we couldn't meet people.

But.... if it helps, its also going to be my birthday right around orientation, so there will be at least one great party to start off the year before we get bogged down in becoming kick ass attorneys (or stressed out neurotic law students.... take your pick).
~Loyola LA 2010~

Hollywood, sunshine, and a BMW. Who said law school can't be fun?

payley

• saving the universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2007, 03:26:10 PM »

Am I the only wuss here that would be afraid to take my laptop with me on the metro?   :-\

payley

• saving the universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2007, 03:34:56 PM »

The campus is pretty far inland in downtown LA so I don't think you can find a place near campus AND close to the beach.  Actually, I'm moving out with my dog too (Shepherd mix), so I'm looking for a house to rent with a few friends.  I don't think we plan on moving until July-August but keep in touch and maybe we can figure something out.  I'm sure our dogs will be able to use the extra company :)  My email is pabghari@hotmail.com and I'm female, 24 also.

undecided07

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2007, 06:49:46 PM »

Am I the only wuss here that would be afraid to take my laptop with me on the metro?   :-\

That same thought briefly crossed my mind, but I figure as long as you aren't advertising that you have it, it should be okay.  Just think non-descript bag.
~Loyola LA 2010~

Hollywood, sunshine, and a BMW. Who said law school can't be fun?

Imelda Marcos

• Sr. Citizen
  • If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2007, 03:44:28 PM »

That same thought briefly crossed my mind, but I figure as long as you aren't advertising that you have it, it should be okay.  Just think non-descript bag.

Yeah and lots of people have aptops, I interned in DC this summer, and practically everyone on the metro there is a business person with money, laptops etc, and there metro is way way way more prevalent and populated then it is here.  I wouldn't be concerned about that.
It's Official Loyola class of 2010!!

WL still pending, fingers crossed it would make for a much easier decision!