Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOYOLA  (Read 37452 times)

pinkisthenewlawschool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LOYOLA
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
Thaaanks! I still have to send in my deposit...but I will!

I got accepted at UC Boulder, but I still think I want to end up in LA...I am waiting to hear if they send me a scholarship.  Boulder gave me until the 20th to send in my seat deposit, but they still haven't sent any info about money...and they refuse to extend the deadline any longer for the deposit.  Clearly if scholarships matter so much to me I don't have the money to make a million deposits, but they are of course unconcerned about this, so I will probably just withdraw.

Pkorkis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2007, 07:50:37 PM »
Thaaanks! I still have to send in my deposit...but I will!

I got accepted at UC Boulder, but I still think I want to end up in LA...I am waiting to hear if they send me a scholarship.  Boulder gave me until the 20th to send in my seat deposit, but they still haven't sent any info about money...and they refuse to extend the deadline any longer for the deposit.  Clearly if scholarships matter so much to me I don't have the money to make a million deposits, but they are of course unconcerned about this, so I will probably just withdraw.
Nice on the acceptance to Boulder...waitlist here...
Haha...now that I just looked at it, I've been waitlisted at FOUR #36 schools, Boulder, Hastings, Wake Forest, & Maryland...haha, odd
Going to (as of right now): Loyola LA

162, 3.37

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Pkorkis

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2007, 08:34:53 PM »
well i finally decided to call up loyola to see what the heck is up.  i never received an official confirmation--like that letter with the student ID number and stuff.

but yes, i called up and they still havent made a decision.  i do have my ID number now though.  i should expect a decision by the end of the month.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

Demigoddess

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legal Posh
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2007, 09:28:13 AM »
I agree that the downtown Loyola campus isn't the greatest, but I would urge you to head over to Marina del Rey and check out the main campus.  I think I may do a fair bit of studying there, unless it proves too much of a hassle to drive there from where I plan to live.

Oh Los Angeles logistics, why must you break my heart?

I'm currently looking at apartments in LA as I plan to move down for July 1st due to work reasons (I am going to Loyola part-time). I saw a lot of available apartments listed in Marina Del Ray. Do you know if that is a good area? The only thing I noticed was that it was a hike to get to downtown from there as it looks like it's west of LAX (info courtesy of Google maps, hehe). I will physically be going down there the second week of May to apartment-hunt.

Anyone in the apartment-hunting boat as well? And if so, when do you guys plan to move?
"Bend & SNAP!" (Attending) = Loyola-LA
"What? Like it's hard?" (Accepted) = UMiami,U of San Diego,SMU-Dedman,Santa Clara U,Suffolk, SLU,Loyola-Chicago,Loyola-LA
"Apparently you get a really bad rash on your..."(R)=
"She's not completely unfortunate looking" (WL) = American U,USF

undecided07

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2007, 10:51:55 AM »
I was just in LA last week to do some apartment hunting.  I plan on living in Hollywood because I've found a couple of pretty good routes to the school that might not be as congested as the major roads.  I'll be moving in mid or late July, depending on availability in the apartment buildings. I'd move earlier, but I feel comfortable enough with the area to put it off a little bit and enjoy my last few days in NYC.

I think Marina del Rey is pretty nice, close to the main campus and all the amenities there (so thats a bonus).  I'm not a fan of the commute to the east.  It's not impossible or terribly long, but depending on when your classes it are it might be a bit of a dog at times.

I also looked around West LA, Westwood, Mid-Wilshire, Downtown LA, and Pasadena.  The first two were nice, but pricey and too far for my taste; I didn't really like the area in Wilshire, although it has a bit of a funky K-town meets Mexico kind of vibe (ie signs in Korean or Spanish as needed), mainly because there wasn't much in the immediate area around the buildings I checked out; while Downtown LA was just too boring and Pasadena, beautiful, but the commute seemed nutty.
~Loyola LA 2010~

Hollywood, sunshine, and a BMW. Who said law school can't be fun?

Demigoddess

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legal Posh
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2007, 11:09:57 AM »
Yeah, good call - Hollywood may become my first choice too as not only is it close to Loyola but my job (I'll be transferring to my current job's LA location) is only a mile away from Loyola, so if I can find a place close to Loyola, it will also be close to work. Plus as shallow as it sounds, it would be great to tell people that I live in Hollywood!  8)

I will have a car (don't have one yet but will buy one come June), but if I can avoid the long commutes and hence the high gas costs, that would definitely be a good deal. Marina Del Ray does look pretty far.

Thanks for the tip about the roads in Hollywood (to avoid the major roads in LA) - I break out in hives thinking about driving on those huge highways so if I can avoid those, that would be an added bonus.  ;D
"What? Like it's hard?" (Accepted) = UMiami,U of San Diego,SMU-Dedman,Santa Clara U,Suffolk, SLU,Loyola-Chicago,Loyola-LA

pinkisthenewlawschool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2007, 11:13:18 AM »
I think I'll be living in Pasadena with my boyfriend who will be working on a PhD at Caltech. I have yet to visit...but he said the commute was short.  I doubt that Pasadena will be very exciting, but it does look beautiful.

I think (er, I haven't actually beeen to LA) that Marina Del Rey would be nice since it's near the main campus, and Hollywood might be nice because there is more going on there, it seems more exciting. Of course, excitement and law school aren't probably going to go together too well, but at least you can observe the other people having social lives and be jealous.

My only concern living in Pasadena is that I don't know anyone other than my boyfriend in LA, and I hope that there are enough events planned at Loyola that I can meet people to socialize, study with and all...even though we've been dating four years and are quite serious I think I'll go a bit crazy unless I make some friends.

I also got waitlisted at Maryland :)

Demigoddess

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legal Posh
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2007, 11:24:22 AM »
I think I'll be living in Pasadena with my boyfriend who will be working on a PhD at Caltech. I have yet to visit...but he said the commute was short.  I doubt that Pasadena will be very exciting, but it does look beautiful.
I think (er, I haven't actually beeen to LA) that Marina Del Rey would be nice since it's near the main campus, and Hollywood might be nice because there is more going on there, it seems more exciting. Of course, excitement and law school aren't probably going to go together too well, but at least you can observe the other people having social lives and be jealous.

My only concern living in Pasadena is that I don't know anyone other than my boyfriend in LA, and I hope that there are enough events planned at Loyola that I can meet people to socialize, study with and all...even though we've been dating four years and are quite serious I think I'll go a bit crazy unless I make some friends.

I also got waitlisted at Maryland :)

I didn't realize the commute from Pasadena was short. One of my mom's family friends has a mansion (or big house, lol) out there and since he's older and living alone, they offered to let me rent out a room there. However, I mapquested it, and it was about a 45 minute drive. That's what the family friend said as well. I mean, 45 minutes is still less than my commute of an hour now but it's still a lot of wear and tear on the car. Although I have heard that Pasadena was really pretty.

At least you're going with a boyfriend a.k.a. someone you already know. :) I'm just going with my cat, and I'll be alone until school starts and the Loyola events begin, unless I make friends with whatever roommate I end up with should I have a roommate situation (I'm still deciding between whether I want a studio or roommate, but I'll look at both come May). I'm sure there are lots of people that you can make friends with in Pasadena - you're better off living in some friendly apartment complex - that way you can meet more people like you.

pinkisthenewlawschool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2007, 11:59:46 AM »
Caltech to Loyola is about 10 miles/20 minutes according to Mapquest, and my boyfriend actually tested the commute and visited Loyola when he went to LA. I'm actually so broke that I don't know if I'll be able to make a visit. :(

But...maybe Pasadena is really big, and where your friend lives is further out? I've no idea...

I don't know, if I weren't moving in with my boyfriend..I think I'd want a roommate, I'm so used to living with a ton of people.  But the roommate would probably have to be another grad/law student.

Cats are good...I'm so attached to my bunny I'm bringing him across country. Yesss I'm aware that makes me sound like a crazy rabbit girl, whatever, I can't imagine leaving him behind. :)

Imelda Marcos

• Sr. Citizen
  • If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2007, 02:40:01 PM »
I'm thinking about hollywood too, I found an amazing place brand spanking new, with washer and dryer in apartment etc, thast is literally across the street from the mtro station. the metro is couple blocks from campus and loyola has a shuttle that will come pick you up from the sation and bring you to campus, just a though for some of you to consider.
It's Official Loyola class of 2010!!

WL still pending, fingers crossed it would make for a much easier decision!