Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOYOLA  (Read 37764 times)

Hiro

• View Profile
Re: LOYOLA
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2007, 04:55:28 PM »
I think I am most likely to go to Loyola although I am still waiting for UCLA. Since I am interested in entertainment law, Loyola is really exciting!

My problem is that I am a spoiled Japanese guy in NY w/ no driver's license... So I have to get it at first, and have to face the nutty LA traffic. I love my life;)
Me too!  Why are you so excited though, I know Loyola has a bunch of entertainment law classes but what else do they have that makes you so excited?

Well, I guess because I have never been to West coast, I may be dreaming or hallucinating ;) But seriously, if you wanted to eventually get into entertainment industry, I think their entertainment practicum and externship are splendid. Of course, if you can go to UCLA or, to a lesser extent USC, it's different story.

Anyway, it's just fascinating for me to study law and entertainment at the same time right in the middle of LA!

Imelda Marcos

• Sr. Citizen
  • If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2007, 09:30:48 PM »
The library does indeed seem small, but it's the biggest library (in terms of volumn) west of Mississippi, thus all the moveable walls.  I felt the same way about the campus, but it's starting to grow on me.  Plus the campus in Westchester is amazingly beautiful, and you can always go there to study!
It's Official Loyola class of 2010!!

WL still pending, fingers crossed it would make for a much easier decision!

Pkorkis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2007, 09:36:32 PM »
I think I am most likely to go to Loyola although I am still waiting for UCLA. Since I am interested in entertainment law, Loyola is really exciting!

My problem is that I am a spoiled Japanese guy in NY w/ no driver's license... So I have to get it at first, and have to face the nutty LA traffic. I love my life;)
Me too!  Why are you so excited though, I know Loyola has a bunch of entertainment law classes but what else do they have that makes you so excited?

Well, I guess because I have never been to West coast, I may be dreaming or hallucinating ;) But seriously, if you wanted to eventually get into entertainment industry, I think their entertainment practicum and externship are splendid. Of course, if you can go to UCLA or, to a lesser extent USC, it's different story.

Anyway, it's just fascinating for me to study law and entertainment at the same time right in the middle of LA!
I agree, I think Loyola is the place to be unless you can get into UCLA/USC.  And on top of that, I think LA is the best place to be to study entertainment law...when I was looking at the cirriculum of many other schools, some don't even have entertainment law classes available...sounds like we'll both end up there next year.  I'm sure you'll also be in some of my classes over the next three years (probably going to be sitting next to me and we'll never know it  :D)
Going to (as of right now): Loyola LA

162, 3.37

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Pkorkis

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2007, 10:39:51 PM »

USC's entertainment law program is considered better than UCLA's, as USC has close ties with the movie studios and even has a fellowship program with some of them.

Loyola's is top notch, though. A really great program. I think Loyola offers a larger variety of entertainment law classes than either USC or UCLA.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

Pkorkis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2007, 03:57:06 PM »
Any thoughts on Pepperdine now matching Loyola's ranking...I had originally been pretty set on Loyola, but now I'm reconsidering Pepperdine...bad idea?
Going to (as of right now): Loyola LA

162, 3.37

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Pkorkis

whoneedsanABA

• Sr. Citizen
  • praise the basketball gods!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2007, 11:43:50 PM »
imho - loyola's location (near downtown, firms, etc) makes it a more attractive option.

it may come down to fordham v. hastings...

Imelda Marcos

• Sr. Citizen
  • If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2007, 03:31:22 AM »
imho - loyola's location (near downtown, firms, etc) makes it a more attractive option.

Yeah, to be honest Pepperdines far removed location (in terms of the city), and generally their lack of prestige won't be overcome by their jump in the rankings, at least not any time soon.  I think that seems to be the general concensus on here?! 

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2007, 06:57:10 AM »
Any thoughts on Pepperdine now matching Loyola's ranking...I had originally been pretty set on Loyola, but now I'm reconsidering Pepperdine...bad idea?

Rankings don't matter, it's the reputation that counts. That's why I'm going to USD even though it dropped in the USN&WR rankings, although it will be up again next year. No matter what, USD is still the best school in San Diego and it's reputation is unchanged. Since you are interested in entertainment law, Loyola would be a better fit than your other acceptances. For me USD is a dream come true!
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

pinkisthenewlawschool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2007, 11:19:25 AM »
I just decided yesterday, I'll be at Loyola too! :)

Imelda Marcos

• Sr. Citizen
  • If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2007, 04:39:19 PM »
I just decided yesterday, I'll be at Loyola too! :)

Congratulations on the decision, it's an important one.  I have put a deposit down on Loyola too, but since Davis doesn't require a deposit I have made one (sort to speak there too) and am going to try and fight for my WL's.  AHhhhh