Law School Discussion

LOYOLA

Re: LOYOLA
« Reply #300 on: June 18, 2007, 02:46:57 PM »
Wiimote,

We've received quite a few complaints on the Loyola page about your commentary there.  We don't like to ban free speech, but there is a fine line between free speech and harassment.  To be on the safe side, we'd appreciate it if you would refrain from continuing this line of commentary towards the Loyola thread.  Thanks in advance,

Moderators

I don't recall saying anything harassing. I can't believe you Loyola people would complain about me, simply because I remind you of the importance of making top 10%. I'm not the one who set the tier 2 top 10% cutoff for good jobs and clerkships. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Those of you in the top 10% will start at around $220,000 your first year out, those of you not in the top 10% will start at $50,000 to $70,000. That's the reality of the tier 2 curve. Feast or famine. You should all be studying your professors' old outlines, supplemented with study guides, so you can get a leg up on the competition.

« Reply #301 on: June 18, 2007, 03:25:05 PM »
Yeah, I'm excited about Loyola (partly because I've been really bored at home) and it's frustrating to get more love from schools I've been withdrawn from for ages. I'm not sure I'll ever stop getting emails from Colorado or Northeastern lol. I called to ask Loyola about health insurance, and they were basically like, "why would you need that?"   ::)  Then they said something about calling back in August. Oooh well.

When I was applying, they messed up my file when I sent it in (I did part of it via snail mail to get a fee waiver).  When I called about a couple months after I thought I should have been complete, they said they were missing my personal statement.  When I asked them to check my file again,  they were like..."whooops it's right here!" I didn't go complete for like a month after that. I thought I was pretty competitive for a scholarship, but I didn't get any info on it around when I was accepted, so I called them, and they told me they had *just* run out of money, this was like...in mid-March I think. I was like...whaaat you are my first choice, but how do you turn down money from similarly-ranked schools?  I was so upset, because I had tried to apply fairly early... but they took that into consideration, and ended up giving me the money anyway a month later, but I had to send in multiple deposits! Aaanyway, I hope it will all be worth it, and complaining about the school already makes me feel like a real student.  ;D

I'm moving to LA tomorrow though, so I'll have plenty of exploring and stuff to do to keep me occupied until orientation.

Wii...did you not read the message they sent you or something?

Imelda Marcos

• If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #302 on: June 24, 2007, 04:11:29 PM »
Pink:  Where in LA are you going to be moving?  I'm trying to figure out the concensus on where everyone is going to locate within the county.

« Reply #303 on: June 25, 2007, 11:16:39 AM »
I'm in Pasadena. I'm actually right on the Caltech campus. Where has everyone else decided on living?

Imelda Marcos

• If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #304 on: June 26, 2007, 01:14:43 AM »
I'm downtown myself.  At least for the first year to cut down comutting stress.  I might move back to the beach after the sthis year.

Imelda Marcos

• If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #305 on: June 26, 2007, 02:15:56 PM »
I'm downtown myself.  At least for the first year to cut down comutting stress.  I might move back to the beach after the sthis year.

Wouldn't it have made the other 23 hours of the day less stressful if you just left for school 15 minutes earlier and were able to return to the beach after class?  ;)

15 minutes?!  Are you nuts lol.  Try an hour and 15 minutes with no traffic.  I'm in orange county right now definitely not a practical commute from here.  Although I do have a friend who will be a 2L whos doing it from Irvine which is crazy.  If I ever needed to hit up the library or got home and realized I needed to head back it just wouldn't be practical.  I will definitely miss the beach.  I looked in Redondo, Hermosa, and LB to see if I'd find something and metro but LB is the only spot with metro and I just couldn't justify the commute in the end. 

I think the plan is to do this for the first year since it's our most difficult and then move and commute for the second and third.  How bout you, where are you moving?  Most Loyola kids live in the miracle mile I heard, nice over there. 

« Reply #306 on: June 26, 2007, 03:00:29 PM »
You moved from the beach to downtown to cut down on an hour of commuting stress!?!?  Wouldn't it have made the other 23 hours of the day less stressful if you just left for school 15 minutes earlier and were able to return to the beach after class?  ;)

She's doing what she can to make top 10%. An extra hour of studying each day can make the difference between knowing the outline, and mastering it.

Prepare for the most intensely competitive year of your lives. The stakes? Making $4,000 a week, or making $4,000 a month.

« Reply #307 on: June 27, 2007, 10:41:59 AM »
I wasn't a big fan of the picture e-mail. How long would it take them to take our photos, really? The sad thing is, my camera is so old and cheap I don't even know if it's 3 megapixels, but I'm certainly not planning on getting a new one for this little photoshoot! It should be...aren't even most cell phone cameras 2 now? It's going to be fun to try to find and unpack my camera...boo.

But I've been in Pasadena for a week and I love it! I'd never been to a Trader Joe's or Chipotle before, and there are some really great restaurants and shopping around. I almost died when I just went into Macy's because the Macy's at my home (western NY) is basically like Penny's/Kaufmann's/Bon Ton's, they don't sell any designer's clothes, but the ones here are fabulous. Between Macy's and the shops on Colorado in Pasadena there are a whole lot of clothes I'll never be able to buy on a student budget. Is it sad that I think that part of my motivation to do well in law school might be so I can afford great clothes? Kidding....not really...

I also went on a hike in Eaton Canyon the other day and it was really gorgeous, I can't wait to go to the beach this weekend. Okay, so I love it here, I'm so happy I moved.

I hope my commute isn't too long, people have been telling me it's about 20 mins. each way in rush hour traffic, we'll see. Since I'm living on the caltech campus, at least this year I have access to their libraries, gym, etc, so if I need to run to the library and don't feel like heading back downtown I can hang out here.

mugatu

• I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 27, 2007, 10:46:24 AM »
I'd say 20 minutes is optimistic.  I would prepare for 40 minutes and be delighted when it turns out to be 30 (although you are close to Arroyo.)

And I like Pasadena a lot.  If you head a little east of Old Town there are a lot of very reasonable restaurants on Colorado.  Your bf probably knows about them, but I just wanted to put it out there.

« Reply #309 on: July 07, 2007, 01:24:22 AM »
around 50 seconds of this video pretty much sums up a typical loyola law grad (and all other TTTs). notice how they all cheer when he says he doesn't have a job? could it be a collective celebration of the TTT stench of loyola law?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VCLlVKiVX9Y