Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT to change -- RC and Writing Sample  (Read 590 times)

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
LSAT to change -- RC and Writing Sample
« on: October 18, 2006, 06:28:23 PM »
I didn't see this after a quick look, so I figured I'd post it.  I got an email about it, and while I don't much care, some people here might:

"Beginning with the June 2007 administration, LSAC will introduce a variant of reading comprehension, called comparative reading, as one of the four sets in the LSAT reading comprehension section. In general, comparative reading questions are similar to traditional reading comprehension questions. However, there is one significant difference:
instead of being based on one passage, comparative reading questions are based on two short passages. The two passages together are of roughly the same length as one reading comprehension passage has been, so the total amount of reading in the reading comprehension section will remain essentially the same. A few of the questions that follow a comparative reading passage pair might concern only one of the two passages, but most questions will be about both passages and how they relate to each other. More information, including test preparation material for comparative reading, will be available on the LSAC website (www.LSAC.org) in mid-February 2007. This information will also appear in the printed LSAT & LSDAS Information Book, to be distributed in February 2007.

Also beginning with the June 2007 LSAT, test takers will no longer randomly be assigned one of two different kinds of writing promptódecision or argumentófor the writing sample.
All test takers will be assigned a decision prompt. The writing sample will continue to be unscored.

These two changes are a result of extensive research by LSAC staff and consultations with the LSAC Test Development and Research Committee."

BroadwayMusicals

• View Profile
Re: LSAT to change -- RC and Writing Sample
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 08:04:35 PM »
How does this affect the people who have taken the LSAT but won't be applying for a few years?  Under the current rules, scores are valid for five years at most schools. 

I took the June 2006 LSAT and scored a 177, but I'm waiting to apply for the class of '12.  This means my applications will go out around November of 2008.  This is about a year after the new test goes into effect.  Will my old score still be valid?  I don't really have a desire to retake the LSAT.

Phone-a-thon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 08:18:54 PM »
How does this affect the people who have taken the LSAT but won't be applying for a few years?  Under the current rules, scores are valid for five years at most schools. 

I took the June 2006 LSAT and scored a 177, but I'm waiting to apply for the class of '12.  This means my applications will go out around November of 2008.  This is about a year after the new test goes into effect.  Will my old score still be valid?  I don't really have a desire to retake the LSAT.

I would like to think schools can't suddenly say they're not accepting old format scores, even if they're within five years of the application date.  Because then wouldn't they have to reject the February 2007 takers (the last to take the "old" format) who are applying for the fall of 2008?

I wouldn't worry about it.  The idea seems absurd (not mocking you, but that'd be majorly f-ed up if they decided to make null and void any LSATs pre-June 2007).
At my advanced age I like anything they will let me ogle it from a far and does not call the cops

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 03:30:09 PM »
go ahead and mock.