Law School Discussion

PS Help - What to focus on...

PS Help - What to focus on...
« on: October 18, 2006, 12:29:10 PM »
Hey Non-Trads,

I am wondering if any of you have an opinion on how I should construct my essay package.

Here are my concerns:

As a 29 year old successful sales executive, I feel like I have to answer the 'why law' and 'why now' questions somewhere - most likely in my personal statement.

I also have a couple of weaknesses to explain - my gpa sucks and I interrupted academic career a number of times due to an illness in my family - addendums?

Yet, I've done some pretty interesting things academically - I got a scholarship to a boarding school. I come from the inner city and am the first person in my immediate family to graduate from college. I switched majors in college from Economics to Linguistics and did some pretty interesting research on African-American Vernacular English or "ebonics" - diversity statement?

I feel like I have so many things to explain that I can't really tell my story in a compelling way. I think the most interesting thing about me is my background and my lingusitics work but I am not sure how to incorporate them into 'why now' or 'why law'.

Argh!!!

Any thoughts?

Lexicon

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: PS Help - What to focus on...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 02:37:49 PM »
Write a statement of purpose in lieu of the Traditional PS explaining Why Law and tailor to each law school to fit in "Why School X" into the mix. Talk about your goals and who you are. 2 pages, 11 point Times, double-spaced

Submit addendums to discuss academic interruption. Max 1-2 paragraphs.

Boarding school? As in high school? Your pre-college achievements are irrelevant.

Submit a resume (up to 2 pages) and diversity statement (about 1 page, 11 point Times, Double Spaced) addressing your inner city life and your Ebonics project.

Or you can construct your statement of purpose around your diversity statement and manage to discuss who you are, why law and why school X. Read Anna Ivey's Ivey Guide to Admissions. It's a good primer on law school admissions and addresses some non-trad issues. Also do a google search for Loretta DeLoggio-- she is an admissions consultant who has a lot of good free advice for diverse law school applicants.