Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tony Blair's Comment - CNN  (Read 8421 times)

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
Re: Tony Blair's Comment - CNN
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2006, 07:58:39 PM »
I expect nothing from Baccaraga

As I expect less than nothing from you, red.  Nice try on the spelling though; rather ignorant, given that I'm sure you didn't take the time to actually understand what "baccaga" means.

Baccaga?  Isn't that those flaky Greek pastries?  Good stuff...
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2006, 08:01:48 PM »

Someone said that a national culture did not exist.  I don't have to prove that all countries have a national country to demonstrate my disagreement; one country would suffice.

Let's pretend for a moment that we're in an alternative universe where this is what he said...even if you had come up with one compelling example (which if you're keeping track...you haven't) that "national culture" it could quite reasonably be seen as an exception (in the way your theory allowed for exceptions before it became clear that more countries were exceptions than not)...so no, one country would not have sufficed...

Edit: LSD needs to stop eating my responses...
Edit 2: J said it already...
Grrr...

Quote from: 1LCorvo
If there aren't any arguments against my claims, then I'll depart gracefully. Feel free to continue the concordant attack on my character, it's funny.

Quote from: Saxibbles
Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.

parsley

« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2006, 08:02:21 PM »
Red --
Sorry, I meant that "To Tony Blair", veils are a symbol of fundamentalism.  Veils are only tangentially related to salafism.  But the resurgence in fundamentalism is.

I have already said that I think it's freaking great for them to wear veils.  Fine by me.  I've not taken a stance on whether or not they should be prohibited from wearing veils, so I don't see why I should be asked to weigh in on whether Muslims should be forced to eat bacon.

And, for the record, most of your questions were about examples that I don't think bear much relevance.  So I sought to bear

You've spent more time mocking than offering anything of substance. ("You're a nerd who watches CSPAN!", "You quoted an article!! You must be unoriginal!", "You swallow, not gag!", "You're profoundly ignorant!", "Read a book!", "You're incapable of sorting through propaganda!") Having a better vocabulary than an eight year old doesn't mean you're much above schoolyard bullying.

President_Baccaga

« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2006, 08:05:25 PM »
They want to secede and arbitrarily draw up new boundaries.  Clearly Italian culture can't keep the country together by itself.  That's because the two are separate ideals.  The former is a sociological entity.  The latter is a political entity.  They are related, but not necessarily so, and there are no specific causal ties between them.

Clearly the Italian culture is strong enough, because secession is no longer a goal of Lega Nord and has not been for at least five years.  Check out La Padania if you want to brush up on your current events.  I actually have contact with Roberto Calderoli if you want to learn first hand.

Oh man.  You know, many of my friends are black -- I lived with blacks for thirteen years!  Anything you say about blacks is going to be absolutely useless as a result.  I don't even need to address your point.

You spew out organizations that you know nothing about and have no clue as to their real motives just to try to improve your argument; the fact that you looked it up on the Internet doesn't mean that you understand it whatsoever... you're like those who think they know all about the mafia when in reality they "non hanno niente da fare" with the mafia.  Just as I could never truly understand life as a black man...

I suggest you re-read your African history, starting in the mid-1950s.  Not every state turns out to be Algeria or Angola.

Okay, let's not forget about Burundi, Kenya, Liberia, Mozambique, Somalia, and all the other African nations that have suffered through (or continue to suffer through) intertribal strife since national independence.  Thanks for coming through.

President_Baccaga

« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2006, 08:07:02 PM »
Baccaga?  Isn't that those flaky Greek pastries?  Good stuff...

Not close.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2006, 08:08:34 PM »
Red --
Sorry, I meant that "To Tony Blair", veils are a symbol of fundamentalism.  Veils are only tangentially related to salafism.  But the resurgence in fundamentalism is.

I have already said that I think it's freaking great for them to wear veils.  Fine by me.  I've not taken a stance on whether or not they should be prohibited from wearing veils, so I don't see why I should be asked to weigh in on whether Muslims should be forced to eat bacon.

And, for the record, most of your questions were about examples that I don't think bear much relevance.  So I sought to bear

You've spent more time mocking than offering anything of substance. ("You're a nerd who watches CSPAN!", "You quoted an article!! You must be unoriginal!", "You swallow, not gag!", "You're profoundly ignorant!", "Read a book!", "You're incapable of sorting through propaganda!") Having a better vocabulary than an eight year old doesn't mean you're much above schoolyard bullying.

Even if you're correct, I don't see the point of your bickering.  If veils are a symbol of fundamentalism to the man, then those who have claimed that this is a bigoted notion on Blair's part (and those include red) are absolutely correct.

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2006, 08:10:24 PM »

You spew out organizations that you know nothing about and have no clue as to their real motives just to try to improve your argument; the fact that you looked it up on the Internet doesn't mean that you understand it whatsoever... you're like those who think they know all about the mafia when in reality they "non hanno niente da fare" with the mafia.  Just as I could never truly understand life as a black man...

Your real motive in entering this as a response would be helpful...
Grrr...

Quote from: 1LCorvo
If there aren't any arguments against my claims, then I'll depart gracefully. Feel free to continue the concordant attack on my character, it's funny.

Quote from: Saxibbles
Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.

President_Baccaga

« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2006, 08:13:29 PM »
Your real motive in entering this as a response would be helpful...

Sure.  Discussing an organization of which you no little/nothing about and attempting to use it as evidence in an argument in the way that the poster is doing with Due Sicilie is without merit, given that he obviously does not comprehend the reasons for its creation and what it stands for.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2006, 08:14:16 PM »
They want to secede and arbitrarily draw up new boundaries.  Clearly Italian culture can't keep the country together by itself.  That's because the two are separate ideals.  The former is a sociological entity.  The latter is a political entity.  They are related, but not necessarily so, and there are no specific causal ties between them.

Clearly the Italian culture is strong enough, because secession is no longer a goal of Lega Nord and has not been for at least five years.  Check out La Padania if you want to brush up on your current events.  I actually have contact with Roberto Calderoli if you want to learn first hand.

Are you going to actually address the point today or are you going to keep name-dropping instead?  

At least paraphrase my point for me so that I know you understood it.

Oh man.  You know, many of my friends are black -- I lived with blacks for thirteen years!  Anything you say about blacks is going to be absolutely useless as a result.  I don't even need to address your point.

You spew out organizations that you know nothing about and have no clue as to their real motives just to try to improve your argument; the fact that you looked it up on the Internet doesn't mean that you understand it whatsoever... you're like those who think they know all about the mafia when in reality they "non hanno niente da fare" with the mafia.  Just as I could never truly understand life as a black man...

Nor does it mean you understand it, Mister Sicilian Girlfriend.  Again, I wonder why you become so obstinate and defensive and refuse to comprehend the point being made.

Okay, actually, here I understand it.  I was mocking your tone.  Meh.  This is all irrelevant, anyway.

I suggest you re-read your African history, starting in the mid-1950s.  Not every state turns out to be Algeria or Angola.

Okay, let's not forget about Burundi, Kenya, Liberia, Mozambique, Somalia, and all the other African nations that have suffered through (or continue to suffer through) intertribal strife since national independence.  Thanks for coming through.

Wow.  Way to provide me with more evidence for my argument.  Thanks.

(Also, listing more states that have "suffered through intertribal strife" adds absolutely nothing to this particular tangent, other than proving what we both know and have admitted -- that there are African states with intertribal strife.  Again, redundant.)

parsley

« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2006, 08:16:41 PM »
That's not even what the whole thing was about!  Apart from any of his other views on that or any other subject, it was Blair's comment on the ideal of balancing integration with multiculturalism.

I said that such a call for balance, given the European climate, was appropriate.