Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tony Blair's Comment - CNN  (Read 8261 times)

parsley

Re: Tony Blair's Comment - CNN
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2006, 12:19:20 PM »
If I've already read a piece where somebody's already said the point I'm getting at concisely, what good is reinventing the wheel?

And I don't know a damn thing about the Hasidim's community.  But the hippie comparison doesn't hold, and I would imagine the Hasidic Jewish comparison doesn't hold either because the American national culture is completely different from the French national culture... 

redemption

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 12:20:42 PM »
If I've already read a piece where somebody's already said the point I'm getting at concisely, what good is reinventing the wheel?

And I don't know a damn thing about the Hasidim's community.  But the hippie comparison doesn't hold, and I would imagine the Hasidic Jewish comparison doesn't hold either because the American national culture is completely different from the French national culture... 

Use google images. It's not hard. I'll be waiting.

parsley

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 12:24:28 PM »
I know what a Hasidic Jew dresses like, Red.  But I'm not familiar with the conflicts of the NY community with integration into American life. 

I think talking about the European situation IN CONTEXT is important.  So I can't help but find most of your examples irrelevant.  The acceptable balance between integration and individual cultures in the United States is completely different from an appropriate balance in Europe, and the examples you bring up are not at all similar to the Europeans.

The closest population in the US in similarity would, I think, be the new Hispanic immigrants because of its a highly concentrated population and the language and cultural barriers.  But even that is so dissimilar that it isn't a very useful comparison.

nosnud

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2006, 12:28:02 PM »
Kel loves orange soda.

President_Baccaga

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2006, 12:34:49 PM »
Quote from: goaliechica
And no, you don't have to expect the Italians to celebrate the Fourth of July or Thanksgiving, but I would find it offensive if they forbade me from celebrating them in their country.

Agreed, as long as these celebrations were not directly in opposition of the laws of the "host" country nor threatened the "host" citizens.

redemption

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2006, 01:14:51 PM »
I know what a Hasidic Jew dresses like, Red.  But I'm not familiar with the conflicts of the NY community with integration into American life. 

I think talking about the European situation IN CONTEXT is important.  So I can't help but find most of your examples irrelevant.  The acceptable balance between integration and individual cultures in the United States is completely different from an appropriate balance in Europe, and the examples you bring up are not at all similar to the Europeans.

The closest population in the US in similarity would, I think, be the new Hispanic immigrants because of its a highly concentrated population and the language and cultural barriers.  But even that is so dissimilar that it isn't a very useful comparison.

Ah, yes. Europe is Europe after all.

So, what about saris and salwar kameez in London or Paris?

redemption

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2006, 01:15:55 PM »
Did I kill it by being too even-handed? Or does no one want to play once Red leaves?  ;)

I find it really interesting that so much of the debate ends up focusing on the headscarves, which are just such a superficial piece of what's really going on. I think maybe it's easy to get people on your team when by playing the "women are being oppressed" card without really giving a damn about the women themselves. I really thought Jack Straw's comment was ridiculous and offensive, and the suspension of the teacher is even worse.

See, goaliechica? This is why you're one of my favorites even though you're mean to me.

redemption

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2006, 01:17:15 PM »

Couldn't agree more. I live in the Los Angeles area where English is rarely spoken anymore, and because my only foreign language study is in Italian, I am at a bit of a disadvantage around here.  Pretty odd, I think.  Also, think of what it costs this country to accomodate EVERYONE.

It is simple: if you want to live in any given country, YOU adapt. Period.

This wasn't worth posting. Just so you know. For the future and whatnot.

President_Baccaga

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2006, 01:18:53 PM »
Uhmmmm... somebody screwed up the "quote" function, because President Baccaga did not write that. :)

President_Baccaga

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2006, 01:21:22 PM »
Uhmmmm... somebody screwed up the "quote" function, because President Baccaga did not write that. :)

Oh... Well... Then consider my comments directed at whoever DID write it.

Beth whoever... but you should have known they weren't from me; you know I don't live in LA... :)