Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tony Blair's Comment - CNN  (Read 8788 times)

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Tony Blair's Comment - CNN
« on: October 18, 2006, 02:29:34 AM »
I just want to know if I'm teh onyl one that finds his statements offensive, if not just plain ignorant.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/10/17/britain.blair.ap/index.html

"People want to know that the Muslim community in particular but actually all minority communities have got the blanace right between integration and multiculturalism."

My response: WTF? So it's the responsibility of a minority group to make the majority feel at ease with their mere PRESENCE?

Anyone else's thoughts?
Everday I'm HUSL'in

chewy06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tony Blair's Comment - CNN
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 02:37:04 AM »
The european muslim situation is completely different than anything America has seen or probably will ever see.

nosnud

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 02:38:38 AM »
I think he's right.  

And I think you're twisting his words a lot.

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 02:48:06 AM »
I didn't twist anything. I quoted him and gave my initial reaction.

And considering there is such a strong Muslim presence in the UK, I think the onus is on the prime minsiter to watch what he says and be aware of how statements can be construed, rightly or wrongly, as insensitive to the religious beliefs of the women that wear veils.

And I'm not commenting about teh situation in America, chewy06. However, when I was younger and attended a Catholic school, a Muslim girl was also there, and wore her veil. There was nothing said to her, and in fact, it allowed her to share what was unique about her and her  family's personal beliefs.

I simply think Blair's comments sound judgemental and ignorant of all the aspects of wearing a veil. Many Muslim women I know wear one because they want to, not because they are forced, and they do it in reverence to their religious beliefs. Yes, their religious beliefs separate them from the majority in the UK, but those differences should be recognized, not demonized.

Furthermore, Blair speaks as though he's got honest "evidence" that assimilation bodes well for minority groups. Where and when?
Everday I'm HUSL'in

chewy06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 03:06:24 AM »
You are not showing any knowledge of the European situation. You are basing your reactions on if they were said in America to American minority groups.

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 03:49:54 AM »
You are not showing any knowledge of the European situation. You are basing your reactions on if they were said in America to American minority groups.

I'll concede the fact that I'm an American, but actually I'm reacting to a world leader making a sweeping statement about minority groups in his country - a leader which also has power and say so in global affairs.

I think the opinions he holds about minorities, especially religious minorities, reflect the same attitudes he would express in response to global affairs.

Blair should be mindful of how his words can be construed, just as all people should, when addressing as sensitive an issue as religious expression. JMHO.

But since you think that opinion is not reflecting the "European situation" care to enlighten me about what is unique about the Muslim/European situation that makes such unsupported and general statements acceptable?

Everday I'm HUSL'in

redemption

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 09:17:56 AM »

What "European situation" are you alluding to?

President_Baccaga

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 09:26:10 AM »
Quote from: Hopes-n-Dreams
Furthermore, Blair speaks as though he's got honest "evidence" that assimilation bodes well for minority groups. Where and when?

I think there is plenty of "evidence" to demonstrate the negative results for minority groups who fail to assimilate, both for the minority groups as well as the country as a whole; the best example in Europe being France. 

parsley

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 09:26:59 AM »
The Islamic diaspora in Europe is completely different than the diaspora in the United States.  The Islamic community in the US is highly integrated comparatively -- they speak English, participate in the economic and social life of the country, etc.  But in Europe, the consolidation of the Islamic community is leading to separate Islamic communities that  watch only Arabic television shows, get all of their news from Arabic broadcasts, do not speak the language of the countries they live in, and withdraw from economic and social life outside of the Islamic communities.  There is, believe it or not, persecution from both sides.  In some areas, women are not allowed to wear the hijab; in others, students are assaulted for attending school during Ramadan.

They have a huge problem on the horizon...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_France
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Londonistan_%28term%29
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,6903,1593282,00.html

redemption

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 09:40:47 AM »
It scares me that people who are applying to/enrolled in law school don't already know this ^

Haha. Don't be scared. I'll look after you.