Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: diversity statement  (Read 728 times)

austinite

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
diversity statement
« on: October 17, 2006, 05:28:16 PM »
i'm white and middle class, do i need to send one?

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: diversity statement
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 05:28:33 PM »
NO. Rule of thumb: if you have nothing else to say to add to your application, don't submit unecessary addenda.

ETA: Excellent post below!
Vanderbilt 2010

parsley

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 05:33:52 PM »
I'd alter the rule of thumb.

If you have nothing to say, then don't send in extra pages proving that. 

If all you have to say is "I am white and middle-class" then don't add anything.  But I recommend you write down 15-20 quick notes about yourself and reexamine your diversity.  Plenty of white and middle class people are able to add compelling diversity statements that have nothing whatsoever to do with race and class.

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 05:39:25 PM »

Are your race and SES the only things you have to contribute to the diversity of the incoming class? If your answer is yes or, "Maybe, but I don't really feel like delving further into the concept of diversity than that," then you don't need to submit one.
Who's your Daddy now?

parsley

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 05:45:25 PM »
Oh, and for the love of Jesus, please don't submit a diversity statement saying that you're diverse BECAUSE you're white and middle-class and "regular."

I'd throw your app in the trash.

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 05:49:14 PM »
Oh, and for the love of Jesus, please don't submit a diversity statement saying that you're diverse BECAUSE you're white and middle-class and "regular."

I'd throw your app in the trash.

**Annabel looks around at her classmates**

Yeah, that would  be a pretty bad idea  :D
Who's your Daddy now?

redemption

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 06:02:30 PM »

I'm white and grew up under comfortable circumstances. I sent in a diversity statement everywhere they would let me. I wrote about having been a Squad Boss on a wildland firefighting crew, and took that opportunity to allude to where I come from.

At least one thing about your activities, interests, work, or your origin is likely to be odd, and maybe even very odd. Pick that. Write well about it. Take every opportunity that you are afforded to present yourself well and round out your application package.

That's my take.

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 06:05:40 PM »
If you write a diversity statement, then don't apologize for being white and middle-class.  Be proud of your unique characteristics, whether they be work or hobbies.

austinite

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 06:23:20 PM »
the only diversity statements i've seen on apps are ones where they ask you to let them know if you've endured some type of hardship.

nyugrad06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 06:33:05 PM »
Same here...they ask 'do you think you've  been discriminated against or faced any cultural/socio/blah hardships?

I dont think its really appropriate to write an essay about being the world's only collecter of toe nails...