Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Early action versus regular decision  (Read 1028 times)

Domer

• View Profile
    • Email
Early action versus regular decision
« on: August 25, 2004, 11:00:31 PM »
Do law schools have higher requirements for early action applicants?  also, would it be wise to apply early (first week of october) but mark my application as "regular decision"?

thechoson

Re: Early action versus regular decision
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 11:10:26 PM »
Early action, yes, I do think you have to be pretty damn stellar, cause they are committing to you before seeing the majority of that year's apps.  You pretty much have to be a the 75th percentiles of both LSAT and GPA from the previous year to have a shot.  Usually you get deferred so they can review you later.

Early DECISION, on the other hand, is different.  Here you might get away with having slightly (very slightly) lower numbers, cause you are TIED to that school.  It might give you a bit of an edge at a school where you would be borderline. (If you have numbers at the 75th percentile, there's no reason to apply ED cause you'd probably get in regular decision anyways (and adcomms know this), and if your numbers suck then you'd probably get deferred anyways for later review.)

Whatever you decide to do, applying early (before Thanksgiving) is usually a very good idea.

rkrx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 11:22:16 PM »
So then is there any advantage to applying early action other than getting notified early?  I thought one school of thought was that when u apply early the schools can be more lenient in their admissions criteria b/c there are more available seats.

Kollesch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 08:14:25 AM »
I think the latter version makes more sense. My reasoning is this: If you're a strong applicant it doesn'y hurt you to apply EA anyway. If you're borderline, you have to have something apart from numbers in your application that the admission people like (e.g. you're for whatver reason a really good fit for the school, or you add to diversity etc.). If that is the case, I think it helps to apply earlt because the admission people will have an easier time admitting someone like you when there are still more spaces available.

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 09:23:25 AM »
Each school is different.  Some schools say early action will decrease your chances (Duke), most say it won't affect you, and some say it will help you.  Early Decision definately won't hurt you, and in my opinion, it will certainly help you.  Especially if you are applying to a school with a small student body.  The adcom lady from Notre Dame said Early Decision would help me.  Also, Georgetown specifically states on their website that both early decision and early action boost applicants chances at admission.  Call each respective school and see.  A lot of the time they won't tell you, but they sometimes will or may give small hints about it.

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 10:08:12 AM »
So would holding off on Duke would be better for someone with borderline/lower stats?  (Like mine, for instance....)  Like send the app out in late November/early December instead of early to mid October?

Kollesch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 10:27:25 AM »
I think so. That's what I'm gonna do.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 10:28:07 AM »
Hrm...too bad that's the optional essay I wrote first...I could've been working on UNC instead...

lexylit

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 01:31:32 PM »
my understanding (and i'm no expert) is that if they're at all unsure, they'll push you back to the regular pile. so even duke, or even a school who says we look at you with a very critical eye b/c we look at you first when yuo're EA, would NOT reject you when they would otherwise have accepted you. i bet a lot of us who throw in early apps will get a whole lot of "we're deferring you to the regular pile" responses, and few rejections.

in other words i believe pretty strongly that EA can never actually HURT your chances. it just might mean, e.g., that the likelihood of your being accepted in november is smaller than that of being accepted in januray, regardless of when you submit.

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 01:34:08 PM »
I'd agree with this.

ZAP

my understanding (and i'm no expert) is that if they're at all unsure, they'll push you back to the regular pile. so even duke, or even a school who says we look at you with a very critical eye b/c we look at you first when yuo're EA, would NOT reject you when they would otherwise have accepted you. i bet a lot of us who throw in early apps will get a whole lot of "we're deferring you to the regular pile" responses, and few rejections.

in other words i believe pretty strongly that EA can never actually HURT your chances. it just might mean, e.g., that the likelihood of your being accepted in november is smaller than that of being accepted in januray, regardless of when you submit.