Law School Discussion

Wreck: Who to Chose?

parsley

Re: Wreck: Who to Chose?
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 08:04:01 PM »
I had the same opportunity to have my recommender write it for me.

But I asked him to write it for me instead. 

I hope you're worth taking 20 minutes for to write a decent LOR...

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 10:18:35 PM »

Thank you. That's very sweet of you.

Also, I'd love to see what a 450 word, 20 minute LOR reads like.

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 12:08:08 AM »

Thank you. That's very sweet of you.

Also, I'd love to see what a 450 word, 20 minute LOR reads like.

Hey, I'll be lucky to get 20 minutes from one of my rec'ers. 

parsley

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 07:33:31 AM »
Hopefully it doesn't take a celebrity attorney 20 minutes to write 450 words. :)

You know what I mean though.  The whole point of having somebody recommend you is that they think you are so wonderful that it is worth giving some of their time to tell others how wonderful you are.  Writing your own, whether or not you personally find it unethical, does violate the spirit of the process.  And if you wouldn't be OK with an admissions officer knowing you wrote it, that's a pretty good indication of it being unethical.

Obviously you would prefer to write your own (so why the thread?)
But I vote that you go with the guy who will write it for you. 

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 08:46:26 AM »
Hopefully it doesn't take a celebrity attorney 20 minutes to write 450 words. :)

You know what I mean though.  The whole point of having somebody recommend you is that they think you are so wonderful that it is worth giving some of their time to tell others how wonderful you are.  Writing your own, whether or not you personally find it unethical, does violate the spirit of the process.  And if you wouldn't be OK with an admissions officer knowing you wrote it, that's a pretty good indication of it being unethical.

Obviously you would prefer to write your own (so why the thread?)
But I vote that you go with the guy who will write it for you. 

I used your advice. I've comissioned the attorney who was going to write it for me to help me write it for the boss. He's been giving me textual input that is improving the LOR. I would love for the boss to write it, but that was never an option and became even less likely when another para decided to apply to law school this year.

I consider myself a moral person and don't see any problem with this.

parsley

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 08:50:12 AM »
I think that's better for keeping it checked by a supervisor working closely with you.  On the scale, I do think that a collaboration with a supervisor is more ethical (somewhere in the gray, I guess) than a quickly dashed off signature on something that you created alone.

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 09:56:17 AM »
I think that's better for keeping it checked by a supervisor working closely with you.  On the scale, I do think that a collaboration with a supervisor is more ethical (somewhere in the gray, I guess) than a quickly dashed off signature on something that you created alone.

They don't baby here. It's kinda, "if you can write a LOR that could pass off as the man's, he'll sign it. If not, he won't".